Normal Attack Animation bug

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Acnolowgia, Nov 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acnolowgia

Acnolowgia Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello all! Ok, so here's the situation- and forgive me if the explanation's a bit long, I want to explain the steps I took. I recently converted a project I was working on in VX Ace to MV. I reached a point where I felt I was ready to try some plugins- this is my first real RPG maker project. Anyways, I downloaded and installed some of the Yanfly core plugins. I noticed that the animations that were being called in battle tests didn't match up with the actions- Enemy Normal attack was calling up the Reflect animation, for example. I also saw that a number of "animations" in the database didn't have any actual animations, or they didn't seem to match the names. I figured this was because it was probably still using the animation list brought over from VX Ace when I converted it. So, I went ahead and replaced the Animations.json file in the Data folder of the project with the one from a fresh, brand-new MV project. The animations the plug-in calls for match up just fine now, as do all the named files in the database. However, the default Normal Attack for my players is calling what seems to be the Hit Fire animation. I can't figure out how to get it back to what it would be in a brand-new project. I did try turning off all the plugins, but that had no effect. I'd really appreciate any help you guys can give me!

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You need to set the animations under skills as well for all of your skills after transferring to MV. MV uses animations in different slots than they were in ACE, so a skill that used to be on powerup2 might now be on death due to the animations lining up differently.

3. Dalamar

Dalamar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    How many animations does your database have?

4. Acnolowgia

First Language:
    English
    Right, I noticed that, which is why I replaced the Animations file in the data folder. Under the Skills list it still shows "Normal Attack" for the animation selected, but it's showing the Hit Fire- #3 in the list- when used in battle. Only for the player characters, though- enemies it seems to work fine.

My database shows 121- the last one is one I made myself for a new skill, though. I had both a fresh project and my game open side-by-side at one point, and everything looked the same.

5. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The thing is, replacing the animations file in the data folder will not fix what I was referring to. Here's an example

In ACE, animation #43 is power up 1. But in MV, animation #43 is heal all one. So any skill that used to point to power up 1 in ACE is now pointing to heal all one in MV, as the skills point to the animation by ID, not name. That is why I said check ALL skills and see what the setting is in the animations tab, as that will be important for your skills later.

For you to be seeing what you are, what that means is the weapon you have equipped (which is what normal attack means, use the animation on the weapon) is set to Hit Fire. If that is not the case, you have a plug-in that is overriding that (either in a setting or in a notetag) and will have to investigate all of them to see which one is doing that.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2016
  6. Acnolowgia

First Language:
    English
    Ok, quick update- after reading bgillisp's post I went back and looked at my skill list... and I now realize the problem with mis-matched animations is even worse that what was wrong with the plugin now. So, I think I'm going to re-replace the Animations.json file in the Data folder. Does anyone know how I might be able to combine the two animations lists? I mean, anyone have some software they could recommend that I could use to do this? going to go ahead and look online for one while I wait for an answer.

7. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Acnolowgia: You can't. All you can do is use the animations file you have (which is needed, else no attacks will work right), and reset them for every skill and weapon, due to how the id's line up now. Time consuming, but doable.

8. Acnolowgia

First Language:
    English
    So there's no software I could get to let me open the .json files and combine them? I know I can't do it in the RPG maker engine. 

9. Waterguy

Waterguy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    well, good news: Notepad can do it. Just open the files and copy one at the end of the other

bad news: you'll need to change the id of every animation added from the second file by hand.

So, yeah, if you think it is less work...

10. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You could combine them, but it still won't work. The animations from ACE just don't port over due to the fact that the file format for the animations changed, and many of the sound effects used in ACE don't exist in MV. Now, maybe you can get all of them to work together if  you port over all the animation files from ACE to the proper format for MV and port all sound effects, but honestly, it is probably less work to just relink all the animations.

11. Acnolowgia

First Language:
    English
    lol- in a way it is, just add the number of animations in the first to each ID in the second. With the other way, I need to hunt for the specific animation which could have been moved anywhere; not to mention not all the skills from the base VX Ace skill list- which I copied over with the project- have a matching animation anymore in the base MV list. Also, doing it this way gives me a wider library of animations to choose from- granted, a number are going to be duplicated or just renamed, but in either case it's a bit easier in my view.

12. Waterguy

Waterguy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ok, if you are really going to do it, don't forget that what you want to copy is after the "null," and ends just before the "]". And put it before the "]" at the end of the first file too. Don't copy the file completelly just to add it, else it won't really work.

Also, I'm assuming you are using the already-converted Ace file to address bgillisp's concerns, since the converted file does work on MV like a MV one would.

@bgillisp, there is a conversor script for Ace that copies the files in usable files for MV, and they use the same form of Animation files. sound files I think were ogg too, too.

13. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Waterguy: I'm aware of a converter script, but it does not covert outside resources, just your database and events to MV format. Unless you know of another program to covert things. And yes, the sound effects are the same, but if you wish to make a mobile game you'll be missing the .m4a version of the files needed for the game to work on mobile (as those do not exist for the ACE files). Non issue though if not making the game for mobile.

Edit: Checked, the image files are the same via the help file (192 x 192 per image, 5 to a cell, 20 cells max for both). I do recall they were talking about changing them though at some point in time. So it *might* work if you copy/paste the image files over from ACE from your .img files, but be careful if you have two of the same name!

14. Acnolowgia

First Language:
    English
    Ok, got it all figured out now! Combined the files in Notepad ++, and everything appears to be running smoothly. Have to say, really impressed by the community here so far- keep up the great work! Thanks for the help guys! Hopefully I'll be able to pay it forward someday.

15. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.