Norton Firewall Alert

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Silverdown, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Silverdown

Silverdown Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I am getting a alert from my Norton Security Deluxe telling me that rpgmv.exe doesn't have a valid digital signature. I been choosing option "Allow This Instance" to use the software as is wishes to connect to "gds4.steampowered.com".

Is this safe to choose "Always Allow"?

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    yes (mostly) and no (sometimes)

In the case of a signature problem with a steam-version, I suggest using the steam program properties to validate local files in case there has been some damage. That should be enough.
    Signatures are mostly used to confirm secure connections through the internet, and that one is about steams connections, not specifically about RMMV.

Additionally:

In most of the times when an antivirus or similiar program calls RMMV to be virus infected, that is a false positive due to the fact that RMMV uses HTML-technology but on local files, very similiar to a website trying to infect local files.
    However there is a small chance that a program really has been infected from somewhere else.
    False-Positives are usually handled within days due to reports to the antivirus company, and the next update will know how to check the program correctly - but that might take a few days.

3. Silverdown

Silverdown Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I did the verify install twice and reinstalled it from steam and it still triggers the firewall alert, ill just manually 'allow this instance' so its nothing permanent.