eat beans

A being of pure evil
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
what is the easiest way to make maps and insert them into the game that aren’t made out of tiles. I want to make the whole entire map in my pixel art software, and then insert it into the game. Is there any way to do that?

BlackRoseMii

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm not an expert, but as long as you follow a certain grid (which should be 32x32), it should be possible to make any kind of map. I don't know how you'd animate stuff like water though.
You can correct me if I'm wrong ^^°
EDIT: The grid size is for Ace though. I don't know about MV ^^°

eat beans

A being of pure evil
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not an expert, but as long as you follow a certain grid (which should be 32x32), it should be possible to make any kind of map. I don't know how you'd animate stuff like water though.
You can correct me if I'm wrong ^^°
EDIT: The grid size is for Ace though. I don't know about MV ^^°
The thing is, if I do that and insert it as a tile set, it doesn’t always fit into the tile selection area, and it messes up my map by making it smaller

XIIIthHarbinger

Part Time Super Villain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What you are wanting to do is called parallax mapping.

Various tutorials on the subject can be found on youtube.

The main things are this,

1) Since you are using MV, the dimensions of the image, needs to correspond with a 48 X 48 pixel grid maps. So for example 10 square by 10 square Map, should be 480 pixels by 480 pixels.

2) Since you want the whole map to be a single image, you'll to need to calculate how large you want the maps to be, & adjust the image size accordingly. Then insert the image into your parallax folder.

3) I recommend you create a tile set to use on these parallax images, & then import an image file that is 768 X 768, use that image file i the B, C, D, or E tab. The image should have multiple rows on it. The odd numbered rows should have be divided into 48 x 48 squares, with notes on then to indicate the properties of the 48 x 48 tiles directly below them in the even numbered rows. The even rows should be completely empty.

On each of the empty 48 x 48 squares, you should have different traits, & make sure you have one of each possible type of traits you can assign to a tile square. The purpose of the image is to give you an at glance notes to remind you of the properties of each of the transparent squares, rather than having to cycle through the various tabs, to check all the properties.

4) Once you have your parallax tile set, assign your image as the parallax to the map you want on it. Then use the tile set with the transparent rows, & use those transparent tiles to assign properties to each of the 48 x 48 squares. I recommend you move square by square, row by row, from the top left, to the bottom right. That way you don't have to worry about missing any of the tiles.

eat beans

A being of pure evil
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What you are wanting to do is called parallax mapping.

Various tutorials on the subject can be found on youtube.

The main things are this,

1) Since you are using MV, the dimensions of the image, needs to correspond with a 48 X 48 pixel grid maps. So for example 10 square by 10 square Map, should be 480 pixels by 480 pixels.

2) Since you want the whole map to be a single image, you'll to need to calculate how large you want the maps to be, & adjust the image size accordingly. Then insert the image into your parallax folder.

3) I recommend you create a tile set to use on these parallax images, & then import an image file that is 768 X 768, use that image file i the B, C, D, or E tab. The image should have multiple rows on it. The odd numbered rows should have be divided into 48 x 48 squares, with notes on then to indicate the properties of the 48 x 48 tiles directly below them in the even numbered rows. The even rows should be completely empty.

On each of the empty 48 x 48 squares, you should have different traits, & make sure you have one of each possible type of traits you can assign to a tile square. The purpose of the image is to give you an at glance notes to remind you of the properties of each of the transparent squares, rather than having to cycle through the various tabs, to check all the properties.

4) Once you have your parallax tile set, assign your image as the parallax to the map you want on it. Then use the tile set with the transparent rows, & use those transparent tiles to assign properties to each of the 48 x 48 squares. I recommend you move square by square, row by row, from the top left, to the bottom right. That way you don't have to worry about missing any of the tiles.
Wow, thanks, but could you give me examples of properties, do you mean like has collision or is walkable or..?

XIIIthHarbinger

Part Time Super Villain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ladders, passing behind, counters (can interact with NPCs over), damage on contact, limiting point of passage, etcetera, etcetera.

When you go into your database, in the tile set sections, there are multiple tabs that allow you to assign properties to each of the 48 x 48 squares. Essentially every square has several properties that effect it. That's why you want the at a glance, & it helps to organize them in themes.

eat beans

A being of pure evil
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ladders, passing behind, counters (can interact with NPCs over), damage on contact, limiting point of passage, etcetera, etcetera.

When you go into your database, in the tile set sections, there are multiple tabs that allow you to assign properties to each of the 48 x 48 squares. Essentially every square has several properties that effect it. That's why you want the at a glance, & it helps to organize them in themes.
What if I want part of the tile to be a passing behind tile and the other part not, for example, if I were to have a tree I would want to walk under the leaves but over the grass behind it.

XIIIthHarbinger

Part Time Super Villain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You'll need those areas to each be their own square, because you can't make a single tile square have two conflicting properties.

Just remember each square is 48 x 48, & then draw your trees accordingly.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I haven't make anything new yet, but I'm back addicted to writing some MZ plugins. Man, I wish I have more free time like I did 5 years ago.
Holy cow... work is demanding and I'm back in college. I'm kind of scared of my dad right now after the incident, but at least I don't live with him all the time. Anyway, working on Fandom Scouts and my FNAF character set. The FNAF sprites are actually going to be used in the game... unfortunately the enemy sprites are FNAF World traces, so no sharing those.
The honeymoon period is over with Cyberpunk 2077, It sadly doesnt live up to the hype, pretty graphics arent everything (especially when I cant even do something as simple as changing the radio station over!). Replaying Breath of the wild has reminded me what a good game really looks like, plus that one has good glitches!....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big_Hoss86