Not using facesets? What else is there?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SwarleyPilgrim, Jan 20, 2016.

1. SwarleyPilgrim

SwarleyPilgrim Internet Billionaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I've started working on a game with a huge assortment of mixed characters. I'm unable to sprite well enough, and the in game generator just isn't doing it for me, so I've decided to go without facesets.

It solves me problems of finding faces that fit the character sprites, but it doesn't make it super clear when it comes to pointing out who's talking. Do you guys have any ideas or any thoughts on the matter? =3

2. Iavra

Iavra Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    You could either highlight the currently speaking character (by displaying an arrow over their head or similar) or use a speech bubble script/plugin. I know there exist some for MV, but since you seem to be using VX, which is a lot older, there should be similar scripts around.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2016
    RachelTheSeeker likes this.
  3. SwarleyPilgrim

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Iavra
    - Those are both great ideas! I may have to give the scripts some looking at! =D   It'll work for chacters out of the party, but for those in the party I'm still stumped. They're not onscreen, because they're in the party. Only the main character can be seen, so it's even more difficult to show who's actually talking.

4. Iavra

Iavra Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    You can display their name in/on top of the textbox, and give each important character a distinctive name color, to make it easier to recognize them. Obviously, names are not as recognizable as faces, but it's probably the best you can do without other visual cues.

5. SwarleyPilgrim

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Iavra
    - Yeah, I'm using the text box now, but it doesn't seem like enough. I may resort to using some sort of face system just yet. Wanted to see what ideas the community had =3    I do love the speech balloon idea, though!

6. TheGamedawg

TheGamedawg Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Some work around I've seen are to have a speech bubble appear over the character's head who's talking or to display the characters name in the text box.

Another idea I sometimes see, and this is a bit more technical, but you know how some games have chimes or noises play as a character is talking?  Perhaps every character could have their own unique talking sound.  This could work assuming you don't have a huge cast of characters.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2016
  7. Deathtroth

Deathtroth Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Yo! Try this - I use it and it's great.
    First line of show text                \>\c[4]-\n[1]-\c[0]\<

\n[x] is your actor number you want to show up, otherwise you can just type \>\c[4]-Gregory-\c[0]\< in for random villager names.

Also for your face problem, I know what you mean! I used the face generator to make a couple of decent faces, but more often than not. the only way I could make acceptable faces was to download game character hub, and downloaded user made free workshop content to get a side-facing Face and all eyes, noses, hair, etc. come with it. With both you can definitely make any character sprite or face you could ever want.

Hope this helps!

#So glad rpg maker exists.

8. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You could use a name tag. You could differentiate the color of each character's text. You could use the emote bubbles. And my favorite, your characters should also be moving around and not just standing in place. A combination of these tactics should clear up who is talking. :D

9. taarna23

taarna23 Marshmallow Princess Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    I'd say have a look at some SNES-era RPGs. Those generally only used face images in the menu. I think, however, most of those employed one or methods listed above. Still, you may find a specific variation you like.

10. SwarleyPilgrim

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @TheGamedawg

- The speech bubbles are a good idea, but my party is usually together, so I've just got the one sprite with three people talking. I do like the idea of different sounds for each character though. I do love Banjo Kazooie ;D

@Deathtroth

- I've been using the Yanfly Message Core, and that does a really good job at displaying the name as well! I find that character genereators never have enough of what I'm looking for.

@Ms Littlefish

- I've gotten into the habbit of making a character jump on the spot before they start talking! That combined with the balloon icons, I don't think it looks too bad =3

@taarna23

- Taking a look at older games is a great idea. I think I'll do that when I get home later today. A lot of the methods above are very clever and work well with their own styles! =D

11. Nirwanda

Nirwanda Procrastimancer Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Another thing you could do is use an enlarged character sprite as a faceset. That should clear any doubts about who's talking.

12. SwarleyPilgrim

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Nirwanda

- I was thinking of doing that! Photoshop likes to mess up sprites when enlarging, though, and I can't seem to wrap my brain around .GIMP, so that's an idea that I've put on the back burner.

13. Nirwanda

Nirwanda Procrastimancer Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I usually use Gimp to resize images, I might be a little off about the names in english, since I have it in spanish, but what you have to do is go to image/scale image, choose a scale and in the interpolation option choose "none" so the image won't get blurry on the upscaling. It's really that simple.

14. SwarleyPilgrim

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Nirwanda

- I'll give GIMP another shot when I get home, see if having the sprites there looks cool or not =3

15. taarna23

taarna23 Marshmallow Princess Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    If you use Photoshop, the scaling you want is Nearest Neighbor.