November Goals and Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bgillisp, Oct 28, 2017.

1. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello all! November is about upon us. Post here your Goals and Progress for November.

I'd post a Thanksgiving banner, but the NPC's ate all the food, then the banner, so there is nothing to post. But I did get footage of one of them singing and playing the harmonica in return, but it was so bad the gates to the underworld opened, so we had to remove it.

(Posting early as I will not get a chance to do so until late November 1st).

2. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wait for November to come so I can fulfill my other November goals. That is perhaps a good start.

3. kaisielizen

kaisielizen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Progress: Removed a lot of cumbersome qualities in my game, started over, and I'm making something more suitable to my skill level and also a bit easier and (hopefully) more fun.

Goals: Get a playable portion finished by the end of the month.

4. XIIIthHarbinger

XIIIthHarbinger Part Time Super Villain Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have been thoroughly displeased with how my primary project has developed in some respects. So I have saved the current state version for reference material & comparison; & have created a second version that I am reverting to any earlier state & rebuilding.

For this month however though, I am going to be working on a side project. More of a proof of concept project, than a full blown game, to test various ideas. Perhaps a dozen maps, half a dozen enemies, a few dozen NPCs. Essentially just enough to test various mechanics, to be implemented in various projects.

kaisielizen likes this.
  5. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I really just want to write a couple songs over the next couple months. I haven't had time to really be at a desktop computer for so long, then when I do I seem to get way too ambitious. I'm going to start with some minimalism. I get too caught up on the idea of making very technical songs that I'm not getting far into them, so I wanted to see what I could do in just thirty minutes with ultrabasic chords and play on a motif. It has zero editing done to it whatsoever, but I think it's quite pretty.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  6. Deceius

Deceius The Vintage Tiger Cub Veteran

First Language:
    Taglish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So I just got back on RPG Maker, so... probably just read a bunch on the forums to see on what I've missed, and get back on creating a storyline for a new game. :)

Ms Littlefish likes this.
  7. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    November Goals:
    -Finish the Endings.
    -Set up the following towns so they react to Chapter 9 events properly: Thundermeadow. Silverdale. Silas Rest. Blackmire. Tall Oak. Eastwood. Silvanos.
    -Map and event 1 of the optional Chapter 9 dungeons (2 if time permits).
    -Do a playthrough of Chapters 1 - 4 to make sure I didn't break those Chapters with these changes.

This is going to depend on how much I can get done Thanksgiving week. We're not traveling due to me having to work Tuesday/Wednesday that week, so will have a lot of time that week that I don't normally have.

8. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    And the wanderer returns.

I knew October was going to be next to impossible to do anything, and it would have been so demotivating to keep on posting "No update..no update...no..." that I didn't joint the thread last month at all.

This month's goals
    • The first 50% or so of the game has gone to my wonderful tester, so I'll be fixing whatever he finds.
    • A couple of complex cut scenes to finish off the current section.
    • Start hunting up tiles for a swamp. I have plenty of objects, but none of the ground tiles I have really fit, and I do not want the standard purple water and brown soil. I may have to end up making them, but I hope not, as creating tiles is what's been slowing me down.
    • If, and only if, I find such tiles, then start mapping the next section. Here's where my sixth and final character joins.

9. Schlangan

Schlangan A madman with a computer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    With the last update posted in October goals, let's see for November...

Finishing mission II.4 and starting mission II.5 would be acceptable goals. However I don't know how much time I'll get, since I'll have to deal with some driving lessons during that month. Well, we'll see :)

10. Punamaagi

Punamaagi Hero on their own terms Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I thought I could try do the same thing I did last November and work on my project every day, even if I end up just fixing one line of dialogue or doing something else that's relatively minor. I've also decided to go with weekly goals because I've been at least semi-successful with them before.
    1. Tileset stuff: I'd like to have certain kind of cliffs in my game yet haven't found any resources which would have included them, so I thought I could jump into the deep end and try making them myself. I am very much of a novice when it comes to pixel art, but I've been doodling a bit already and have a few reference pictures + a good tool; hopefully that will be enough.
    2. Town 2: I have fleshed out the backstory/function of the town a bit, so next step would be to write it all down and map the thing. I have the mapping equivalent of a rough sketch of the exteriors ready, but interiors haven't been started. I also need to make sure that all the houses and NPC have a reason to be there.
    3. Character art: How many times do I need to write 'finish sprites' as my goal before I actually finish them? We'll see. I've asked someone to critique my busts as well, so I might end up honing them as well if I'm productive enough.
    4. Skill animations: I have mostly used default animations until now, but it could be a good idea (and fun for a change) to start working on e.g. spell animations for my sorcerer. I need to check if there are more animation resources I could use for my minstrel, though.
    5. Title screen: Though it's not important, the placeholder is starting to bug me. Besides, this might give me some incentive to draw again.
    I haven't managed to get a whole lot done in the past few months, but hopefully this month will help me get back into the groove again. Time to fight against the encroaching darkness outside my apartment with a spark of creativity, eh?

Marquise* and Kes like this.
  11. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    And first day's update.

I've been working on a transfer event - easy-peasy, you might say, except...
    It has to take account of where in the story the player is-
    • Have they done the 'compulsory' bits? If not, dialogue and back they go.
    • Which of the side quests have they done, or started but not completed, or not accepted to do? Each of those possibilities has to be accounted for, and of course, they may have done some and not others, or started one and ignored the others, or... And the dialogues have to be both complete and at the same time stand-alone so that all possible combinations still sound coherent.
    It ended up with 14 nested conditionals, and several of the conditionals had choices as well ("shall we finish X or move on?" sort of thing) and now my brain hurts.

However, by turning various switches on and off, removing or giving myself items etc., I think I've tested all possibilities.

In addition, I've had a few (and only a few. Yayy!) bugs back from my tester, which I've fixed. But he's only a couple of hours into the game, so still plenty of opportunity for nasties to come out of the woodwork.

Marquise* likes this.
  12. XIIIthHarbinger

XIIIthHarbinger Part Time Super Villain Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Update: This month I am only intending to work on my proof of concept, side project. Only eleven maps total, half a dozen monster types, a few basic weapons & items, & a rather linear Sci Fi themed dungeon crawler that will last an hour or two.

So far I've created the a placeholder face, character, & battler variations of the main character. As well as cobbled together placeholder characters & some of the battlers for the monsters. & cobbled together a tileset from a combination of the RTPs, DLC, & Sakan assets.

Next I am going to draft up a script for the story, event the create a character scene, & start laying out the basic framework of the maps.

The purpose of the side project is create a template to expand into an actual game based on the experiment that is this side project later. The side project is mostly for testing various mechanics like chain grapples, a battle system without magic using a combination of melee & ranged weapons; & a single character hero with no class mechanic, fixed attribute levels selected at the time of character creation, progression achieved through perk selection via leveling. Along with resource scarcity & repair mechanics due to most skills costing items like ammunition or grenades; along with weapon & armor conditions deteriorating overtime.

Think early Resident Evil & Fallout Games with RPG Maker assets, & a B-Movie Alien/Mutant vibe.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Marquise* likes this.
  13. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I want to do something that feels a bit like a NaNoWriMo challenge, so I decided to create one that would work for making tiles. I tried this once before in a sort of "make a small tileset in a month" thing, but that didn't work at all. The amount of work needed per day was way too high and really difficult to quantify. This time I'm just going to try for "make 25 of something" where I make 25 variations of one subject. Why 25? Well, NaNo requires 50k words. Skipping weekends and holidays that puts you at around 2,500 words a day with a little wiggle room for emergency days off. A picture is 1k words but making 2.5 didn't feel like the right amount of push for a challenge. Besides, 25 just feels neater than approximately 3. This will probably end up being too ambitious (I'm very good at overly ambitious goals) so I'll try not to beat myself up too much if it really does turn into 3 tiles a day, especially since my migraine thing still hasn't been sorted out.

I'd like to actually record my process this time, maybe put up some sped up videos on YouTube. I've been watching a lot of other artist's videos and I've found it really interesting and have learned a lot, even when I vehemently disagree with the artist's choices. Also, people have been asking for me to make a pixel art tutorial for years now but it's not going to happen. Maybe this will be the next best thing.

Today's goal 25 was switches. I planned to make buttons, levers, toggles, cranks, dials, everything I could think of that could be used as a switch in a game. I got 8 done before I decided I was done for the day. I started really late, though, so it's not worrying yet. It should be easier to pull off on the other days since I won't be starting only a little before bed. Recording was a bit of a hassle, I couldn't get it to pause when I needed a break and so I had to stop and export the recording before I could get back to work. I have no idea why saving a file takes so long when the whole recording is in active memory. I have a few more switches planned before running out of ideas and after that can be filled in by recolors.

For tomorrow's actual goal I'd like to see if I can make 25 hairstyles for my sprites. Spriting always takes longer than I expect it to though, so hopefully I won't fall too far below the mark. It should be pretty fun, my new base has more room for hair details but it's still pretty small so it should work up quickly but still be easy to make pretty.

Marquise*, Punamaagi and Kes like this.
  14. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My goal for the month is creating a small sound library for magic spells as I feel the available sound effects are a little bit too generic. I want the game I am working on to have natural sounds but the spell sounds to sound a bit "TING"-y and tinny.

15. pandadodod

pandadodod Wannabe of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My goal for this month is to finish my first game...
    To, you know, get the satisfaction of actually finishing something?
    Though probs will not release the game as it is expected to have lot of flaws LMAO

16. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Sorry for the lateness...

Last 3 days have been ectics in and out of the lab and... somebody sent me a new bed/couch to manually assemble.

So this month;
    Movember,
    Nanowrimo,
    Poisoned and low HP finish of the Pangofly dragon,
    Voting,
    papers (cats and government and crap),
    Sell masks,
    busks,
    and... try to vanquish some internet nervousness twice!

17. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Haha! Made a total of 25 . . . wait, no, 23 unique switch like things! So close. I ran out of ideas and couldn't find anything different in my search for references so the remainder will just have to be recolors. That's much fewer recolors than I was expecting so it's a win! I suppose I should really actually do the recolors and put them all onto sprite sheets for the day to count but I honestly can't make myself care enough right now. I mean, this only took me four and a half hours. :LZSbleh: It actually takes me less time to write 2500 words for NaNo. I didn't bother trying to do the hairstyles. I'm mentally exhausted, there's no way.

Clearly I need to reduce my goal requirements. I can't keep this up. Not sure what my new goal requirement will be yet. The part of me who likes things to be all neat and tidy thinks that 16 is much more reasonable. That's two sprite sheets! (Of course, that same part is trying to tell me how easy it would be to make 25 hairstyles.)

Marquise* likes this.
  18. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @pandadodod Actually, it might be a good idea to release it (even if just to a small circle) precisely because you do expect it to have flaws. It is really helpful to get feedback on what works and what doesn't, what can be improved on, what needs looking at again. Obviously you will want to pick people who will be constructive, but feedback is essential if you want to build on what you've learned to do.
    @Sharm I agree, definitely a win. 16 (2 sprite sheets) seems a decent goal to me, stretchy without being too ambitious.

My Update
    My tester found where the player could, by holding down shift all through a particular cut scene, break the game, even though I thought I'd made it "shift proof". At first I thought it was unfixable, as that cutscene is full of pathfinding script calls, so my script which fixes the problem of holding shift when it's set move routes doesn't work here. But by rearranging the order of some of the commands, and tinkering with a couple of others I've fixed it. I can now hold down shift for the whole of that cutscene and it still plays through with all the movements in place.

Marquise* and pandadodod like this.
  19. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @Kes Yikes! Hope there is no more of those bugs if it is your IGMC entry. o_O (Must had been hard to correct!)

20. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Marquise* No, not an IGMC entry. I don't do competitions, they don't suit the way I work, and I have enough stress in my life without adding to it. This is my ordinary project.

Marquise* likes this.