November Goals and Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bgillisp, Oct 28, 2017.

1. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Canini : I've often felt that the hardest part of making animations for me has been finding sound effects that fit. Good luck with that!

@pandadodod : You may still want to release it. If nothing else, the feedback will be valuable.

@Marquise* : I always hated assembling those things. Good luck.

@Sharm : Maybe try 8 a day instead? Just so it doesn't exhaust you?

@Kes : Welcome back to the thread! Hopefully the progress is good this month.

11.3 Update:
    -Wrote the last two endings. You can now earn all 6 of the endings to the game. Though, the scenes are still static, as I want to sleep on these endings for a few days first, then if no major changes are needed, then go back and add the sprites and movement routes.

Marquise* likes this.
  2. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Hey! I assembled and slept on that bed-couch! YAY! Maybe I can start to do my papers now... But I also had moved furniture a lot and I want to take the suggestion of my kitties to play. ^-^; I can feel the specter of lazyness taking over! Well, I wasn't the very first to try the new piece of furniture.

@bgillisp Actually, I needed to get manual ever since a bit. I did LOVED that puzzle to assemble then the other one to have to move furniture around it! I always wanted to build my very own furniture from scratch. But you can imagine the mess and the space required to just play with that idea. I kinda just start to be able to breathe again after the bugs and exterminators invasion. XD So, it got my self-confidence that was in deficit and self-esteem boosted quite a HUGE bit!

@Kes I'm sure whatever your project is, it is quite interesting to show so much character already in the face of your testers!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  3. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Marquise* : Nah, you don't need furniture to draw. Just use the walls like the cavemen did *kidding*

11.4 Update:
    -Fixed up Thundermeadow so that it responds to the events of Chapter 9 better now. Also tweaked the mountain pass by Thundermeadow so that the monsters aren't still level 25 weaklings if the Chapter 9 party returns here (as you are now Level 50 - 52). Took a while to come up with more appropriate Level 50+ monsters, but I think I managed to, after a few false starts, pull it off.

Marquise* likes this.
  4. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Marquise* Actually what @bgillisp suggested might not be such a bad idea - Banksie has done it and got international fame in the process.
    @bgillisp But maybe the party would quite fancy a short interlude of enemy stomping as a change of pace?

My update.
    A fabulous example of why I'm running behind schedule. I needed to do a cut scene by a bridge. The only bridges I can find are either the wooden/metal default ones - which would never take horses and carts on a main road between towns, or 'town' ones which are elaborate and have steps that no cart would ever get up. So, for a cutscene lasting about a minute, I spent ages making a bridge. Okay, I've now got the tiles should I ever need another one, but for such a brief appearance, it was too much work.

Here is a reduced pic of it - simple in appearance, but fiddly to make. Hmm, think I need to make the underwater parts more opaque.
    bridge test.png

Marquise* likes this.
  5. Marquise*

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @Kes & @bgillisp You know what? You two? I actually feel the need to use my walls to paint and do collage since ten years ago here. ^^ I guess my moderation is only powered by the fact that I cannot move the walls.

@Kes :3 Nice little bridge!
    @bgillisp LEVEL 50? o_O Isn't in that level that your character is now supposed to be immortal in D&D?

Ack and I am sluggish progresswise... Have to do governmental ugh paperwork-ish :( That sure is a drainer. But someone's got to do it and it won't be Mr Cat! XD

6. CleanWater

CleanWater Independent Developer Veteran

First Language:
    PT-BR
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Finish the second chapter of my game, so I can rest in December. :kaophew:

lianderson and Marquise* like this.
  7. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Kes : That'll be one of the next dungeons. I got a puzzle zone to make soon, a little murder mystery. Though I may need to go read a couple to get into the spirit for that.

@Marquise* : Tell that to the FF games. There' level 50 isn't enough to survive the final boss in most games.

@CleanWater : Is your goal to make through Chapter 2 by the end of the year then?

11.5 Update:
    -Went back to Blackmire and started to edit the town to account for Chapter 9. Took care of the basement, Floor 1, Floor 4 and Floor 5 of Deathwhisper Castle. Got to finish up Floors 2 and 3 next, and got to account for which Chapter you come here, as things are different depending on if you come here in Chapters 3 - 7 or 9 (you can't come here in Chapters 1, 2, or 8).

After that, I'll need to fix up some bugs in the Mushroom Caves, mainly the silent guards and such.

Marquise* and CleanWater like this.
  8. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Marquise* Good luck with your paperwork. It seems a regular occupation.
    @CleanWater Congrats on finishing chapter 2.
    @bgillisp Having to go off and read murder mysteries for your game? (Sigh) The life of an indie dev is such a hard one. But be brave! It is for a good cause.

My update
    I've done none of what I planned to do today because I spent all my available time on debugging. The first was a script for a rampage skill which threw an error message. The coder corrected the error, and then I messed up by copy/pasting the new version without taking out the old, so I got the Stack error. Took a while to spot what I'd done, so that was wasted time.

Then I was testing what is a very complicated skill. If the enemy is weak to the element, add a debuff. If the terrain is of such and such a type, then the damage is X, otherwise it is Y. If the player has chosen a particular upgrade, then the skill, in both cases, increases in power by 10%. Got the first error message sorted out (not enough "ends" in the formula) but then it was doing just 1HP damage. Lots of re-arranging of the separate elements, then found that it also needed "return" commands as well. Took me and the wonderful forum member who was helping me some hours to sort it out, each iteration having to be tested in different conditions. And now my brain hurts. Enough for today.

Marquise*, CleanWater and lianderson like this.
  9. lianderson

lianderson Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Kes That's an interesting concept. Lots of work, but it definitely adds another layer to the combat in terms of elemental weakness.

Hmmmmmmmmm, I don't really do these update threads too much. But, here it goes...

Got 13 mini-dungeons mapped yesterday and visualized what the next area is going to be. Planning on making it an abandoned temple town with 17 buildings and, well, a temple. In order to enter each building, and get the rewards inside, you'll need a certain amount of collectible items on you.

Hopefully, I get that new area and those 13 dungeons (which are scattered throughout the game) fully up and running by the end of the week. After that, it's on to 3 more puzzles and then Quests/NPCs.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    Marquise* likes this.
  10. CleanWater

First Language:
    PT-BR
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Yes! :biggrin:

I thought it would take much longer, but I managed to finish a lot of things these months. The only thing left now is the final dungeon and the enemies A.I. design. :mrsatan:

Thanks!! :biggrin: (But there are still plenty of things to do :aswt: )

11. Schlangan

Schlangan A madman with a computer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Poppin' in to give some update, as I found some time to progress.

Mission II.4 has been completed. The final boss was amusing, as its AI specifically targets the healer if needed. The helping team (that we saw briefly in chapter I) is really practical with the demon summons. Implementing such system was interesting. While there is perhaps some enhancements to do (the team position instantly changes when we summon), the system is effecient enough for now.

Since one of the monthly goals is already done, I'll be able to start mission II.5 soon. New actors are to be introduced, and new troubles will soon come for the main party.

Marquise* likes this.
  12. Lihinel

Lihinel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Since the IGMC project showed me that the Overlay script I use doesn't work with encrypted games, I am going to have to replace it. (Which isn't as easy as it was with the IGMC game, since that only used one layer)
    Also gonna have to work on all my October goals, since I made almost no progress due to RL and IGMC project.

13. CleanWater

First Language:
    PT-BR
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @Lihinel We are on the same boat! :guffaw:

I had to work on my September goals during October, and my October goals now in November… Well, you already got it. :biggrin:

14. DragonVine

DragonVine May or May Not be Batman Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I submitted a thread for my IGMC entry! First time I've ever submitted a thread for a game, or released anything. I'm quite proud of what I did, even if it doesn't end up winning anything.

My goals for the month of November:
    Fix any glitches that people report in my game
    Play some of the IGMC entries and offer constructive criticism
    Finish the next few quests in the the IGMC game, which only serves a a demo for a bigger game to be released soon enough.

readydotexe and Marquise* like this.
  15. Marquise*

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Sorry for I have been out of the loop lately. Got lotta governmental paperwork done and all that are left is... awww... gotta busk for Mr Cat vaccines and their city medals registration. -_-; *sigh*

I'm a wee bit tired; all those runs and throwing the bed bug cemetery outside today! (I was fortunate to have additional pair of hands and we needed all of our hands as the futon started to wrestle its way out of the box! GRR...) ^^

Well will try to now stay SIT and sprite my way up the Pangofly dragon move list!

@bgillisp Hope for you (not the player) that the characters gain fixed abilities not chosen ones :p (Else it would be hard and long job for you to do!) Is it a new game or still the same? Seems pretty epic!
    @CleanWater Yay! Might also become your Christmas gift!
    @Kes a Monthly one. For a self-employed paranoïd, being certain to be under scrutiny all times is... errr draining! BTW you seems to work into very complex formulas, I hope they sorts out. :D
    @Schlangan Yay GO Schlangan!
    @DragonVine Aaaah! Now is time for icecream! and relax on your new project. Congrats for finishing IGMC!

16. MiniTitan

MiniTitan Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    7th November already?!

Planning to continue with my icon set and character sprites. I think that should take up enough of my time :)

Marquise* and lianderson like this.
  17. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    IGMC totally threw a wrench in any progress on my proposed goals last month, so here they are again:
    • Play games/demos from the IGMC. (I've already added the ones I want to play to a collection on itch.io)
    • Work on the profile menu in my main game.
    • Fix reported bugs/glitches in my IGMC entry. (But nothing more, I'll be expending the game in 2018. Besides I really need a break from it. It was too (emotionally) taxing.)
    • Organize my Translated terms into an Excel file and translate some of the backlog. (Started this last month, now to actually finish it)

Marquise* and Kes like this.
  18. readydotexe

readydotexe Low class wizard Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello everyone! I've literally fell asleep on the laptop yesterday, I think I really was tired of all the drill but now I'm all ready again (hehe) I also want to review all the games in a serious constructive review (also if you could do it with mine I'll be glad (selfless self promoting in action) https://readydotexe.itch.io/event-horizon-murder-case-)
    i'll be my goal until the end of last year, and well I'm really still glad with all that happened, I'm still in a kind of bubble for the fact I published a game even if it's messy

@woobv Omg you're the one that was making love net I remember from the first weeks, it's funny 'cause the whole contest it was once of those games that I keep saying to myself that I was gonna play once it comes out
    That hasn't changed c: I'll be expecting it take care

Marquise* likes this.
  19. DragonVine

DragonVine May or May Not be Batman Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So there was one game breaking glitch that stopped the end of my game (two actually, but one of them was a bit rare, and only under very specific circumstances. I found it myself by accident.) I have fixed those, and a bunch of smaller issues to round out my game. Obviously I can't upload an update to itch.io because that would change my entry, but I was wondering if I was allowed to put it up on dropbox or something so that people who play it will be able to play a working version?

Outside of that, I'm going to rework a few small things to make the intro a little more interesting, and add a few side quests that I didn't have the time to add in when I was making the game for the contest. So my progress update is this:

Ironed out every glitch I was able to find, especially the two game breaking ones in the demo (except for the events being jittery when I move the camera with a plugin). I've also made small updates to the sounds that I meant to do, and added the quest log to the main menu, which I forgot to do.

Marquise* likes this.
  20. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain) Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Let's see my goals for this month:

- Fix the few bugs left in my entry for the IGMC 2017 and submit a slightly better and updated version of it.
    - Play some entries. So far @slimmmeiske2 @SwiftIllusion @IAmJakeSauvage ones, and maybe something else I might find interesting.
    - Start working on the Redux version of my entry, since the IGMC deadline made me cut so much content in the game and the final result doesn't really match my original vision.
    - Start working on a small side project (I have some interesting ideas I really want to use).