November Goals and Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bgillisp, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I fell behind in this thread again. I really need to get in a habit of responding even if I don't have new updates myself...
    I hope everyone that celebrated Thanksgiving used the weekend off work to their advantage!

I've been reworking many of my M+ pieces behind the scenes so it's nice and spiffy when it's re-released. A good half of my M+ work happened within the first few months of owning any VST libraries, so there are tons of things I'd do differently now that I know how and I also have WAY better libraries. I'm also applying key feedback I got from members. For the song above, it was requested that I make the dynamic range a little more muted, and while I still left a little punchiness (I'm an orchestral girl, can't help it) it's definitely a lighter, more airy version of the original.

2. XIIIthHarbinger

XIIIthHarbinger Part Time Super Villain Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @rondchild
    Not likely,

I tend to give myself more goals than I can accomplish within a time period, to work on for two reasons. First, so that I don't have an excuse to not do any more work for that time period by saying "I've already met all my goals for the day/week/month". & second, so that I have multiple fronts to work on, so that if I am tired of working on something particular, I just switch to working on a different area to break up the monotony.

Also, my plans to work on my secondary project went right into the proverbial ditch when the FES DLC was released. So I've spent this week working on whatever version I am on, of my primary project. As that DLC contained many things I had been intending to create for my primary project, but hadn't taken the time to construct yet, so I was simply using place holder graphics for. Especially monster type characters for visual encounters.

Most of the characters I had been planning on creating to go along with the battlers I already had, were already there in that DLC. Not to mention adding a good deal more characters, battlers, etcetera to work with. So I've been spending the week setting up the database of newest version of my primary project, importing what I decided warranted keeping, discarding what I decided detracted from the value of the game.

So I'll probably be bouncing back & forth between setting up the newest version of my primary project, & working on my proof of concept secondary project.

Marquise* likes this.
  3. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Too long since my last post, I really need to make it into a habit again. D:
    Only one quick reply @rondchild : My usual way of doing character development (especially when I'm stuck) is 'talking' to them, or about them in a way that forces me to flesh them out more. Might seem a bit silly at first, but I've gotten great results so far. : D

Progress:
    Not much since there's a 10 day race in Path of Exile that's too much fun going on right now, and a book I wanted to read had arrived, and other things distracting me from being productive. But I finally got something done this morning:
    • a scribble of Salin, for once. Finally. I was procrastinating for more than a year now on designing her. But finally, I did the first step -- by figuring out my approach. She's a people person. She needs people to... person around. So I sketched her cellmate first (someone might remember him from me showing his design in June -- let's call him Ned to make it easier, as I haven't decided on which name he'll use in the story yet). Best idea I had in months, I think, since he provides such ample contrast to Salin: He's short, slightish of frame, ridiculously pale (his words, not mine), and his neutral face makes him look like a broody person. And thus, in the spoiler you can meet a first actual impression of Salin (with no regard for anatomy and squiggly lines, of course; I'm still rusty after all xD). Hint: She's the tall one.
    [​IMG]

4. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @Chiara Aww nice! Hey, those flesh tones are they wounds or discolorations?
    @Ms Littlefish I love it!

Woah... I was wondering what happened here and it seems that I missed your posts.

BTW tried my best to represent simultaneously from front and top my first spaceship attempts, o_O You know spriting spaceships without perspectives, that have 45 degree angles and roundness is quite a cubism test? First time I waste one square on my animation paper sheet! o_O

Ms Littlefish and Chiara like this.
  5. XIIIthHarbinger

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Update:

I had been planning on working on more of my secondary proof of concept project, but then the FES DLC was released & it was exactly what I was looking for, for my primary project. Which I have been in the process of resetting & rebuilding, largely because I didn't like how the maps turned out with the system I was using; & the story felt far too cliche/trope filled.

So I am scaling down the total number of field maps, to compensate for increasing the number of terrain features in each field map, while keeping it as a sandbox. & discarding the trope/cliche filled linear story I was using, & implementing what I had been planning on doing with the game that would have followed it.

Specifically, a shorter decentralized multiple faction story arc play style, with character creation & evolution based on player choice. Think an Elder Scrolls game, where you remove the main quest, but keep the various factions the player can work for. So instead of being the "Chosen One" preordained by legend to topple the great evil etcetera, etcetera; you play as just another sellsword who will live or die based on their skills & allegiances.

To put it into Game of Thrones terms, you're a Bron, a Davos, or a Sandor; rather than a Joffrey, a Rob, or a Stannis. Simply put, your fortunes rise & fall with your faction, & your standing with them.

So for the rest of the month I am going to continue doing what I did last week, namely plotting out the blueprints for the field maps, drawing up the world map to be accessed from the menu, & plotting out story ideas for each faction arc.

Marquise* likes this.
  6. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @bgillisp Although I usually do make it through things like the Training Caves, I always start off assuming that I won't (dunnno why, it's counter to experience). That might be why I do get through - I think "oh what the hell" and play a bit more recklessly than my normal style.
    @Marquise* That's an important battle to win. Can you reveal what the subject of your NaNoWrimo project is?
    @Ms Littlefish Another great re-working. I started thinking of several different uses including a military outpost where most of the soldiers are a bit incompetent, and take things somewhat casually.
    @Chiara That's a great first impression of Salin. She looks like someone who would be both a great social companion and someone you'd want on your side in a fight.
    @XIIIthHarbinger That story rewrite sounds much more tightly focused, and therefore easier (relatively speaking) to develop than your previous approach.

My update:
    I've started the actual mapping of the Marsh (no longer a swamp) now that I've got the tiles sorted. They are pretty easy to use, so things are going at a decent pace.

Marquise*, Chiara and Ms Littlefish like this.
  7. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Kes Thank you! I absolutely love hearing what people "see" when they listen to music. That's a really creative vision! Love it! Also, I think that's the beauty of really sitting down to do your tile edits thoroughly and thoughtfully. Spend a little time there, and the mapping tends to come together pretty quickly. That, and editing is so much of the fun for me! :D
    @Chiara I really like the contrast you both describe and see between the two characters. I think they'd be a pretty entertaining duo to get to know.
    @Marquise* Man, that whole sentence pretty much summed up what makes tile making seem so intimidating. I don't completely lack art skills but getting used to the top-down perspective seems like it takes some getting used to.

My update: Two new resources are posted, including the one I started this month with. The loop point was surprisingly difficult. I work with piano ALL THE TIME but the resonance in the pedaling can sometimes make it tricky to make a seamless loop. I have touched up and looped six other songs for the M+ re-release. I have three songs notated and ready to add CC data and editing, though I still have to record SFX for one of them. Man, it's really amazing what happens to my productivity when my migraines go dormant for an entire month. GONNA JINX MYSELF.

Marquise* and Chiara like this.
  8. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Two busy work days slowed me down.

@Ms Littlefish : The M+ Release is still in the works?
    @Kes : The thing is, it is a cave system designed for those who want to grind. I'm also putting the ultimate bosses there on the last level, but if you do defeat them, the accessory you get in return is really powerful.
    @XIIIthHarbinger : Make sure to document all your choices out first. Otherwise those are a pain to fix. I say this having had a few choices I had to fix/undo in my game, uggggh is all I say about that.

11.29 Update:
    -Spent today playtesting Chapters 1 and 2 of my game, to see if the skill system change broke any monster patterns. Only had to make a couple minor fixes thankfully. Also made a couple little cutscene fixes, to put a little more action on the field.

Marquise* likes this.
  9. XIIIthHarbinger

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    In actuality I think the story will be considerably more complex, because of the fact that there will be multiple potential quest paths, & by extension multiple endings. Rather than the very linear, JRPG standard storyline, with a singular ending that the previous version was. I.e. Act 1) Introduce player character & their allies, have them start exploring the world. Act 2) Introduce player to the impending conflict, & have them start collecting plot MacGuffins. Act 3) Finishing gather strength, plan for final battle, confront final boss, & roll credits. Honestly it all felt rather cliche & tropish.

The whole concept for what was going to be my second game, which I am now converting my current project into, is from a strategy guide on Elder Scrolls Morrowind; in which the author describes a particular play style he calls "Vegetarian Thanksgiving", i.e. no Turkey but instead fill your plate with biscuits, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, etcetera. In other words, a playthrough in which the player simply ignores the main quest & spends their time focusing on side & faction quests, then takes advantage of a few back alley routes to almost completely bypass the main quest, & take on the final boss to win.

Often when I play Elder Scrolls games I do playthroughs where I completely ignore the main quest line, & instead run multiple characters each specced out for their various factions. So I thought why not make games based on that very kind of playstyle? Instead of "The Chosen One" versus the "Grand Calamity", why not a scaled down adventure with multiple paths & multiple outcomes, to emphasize player choice & replayability?

There is also the fact, that the second game was always intended to be the first entry in an ongoing IP, so only one of the endings can be "canon" for the IP lore. Which is a bit of a double edged sword, as on the one hand each entry can be used to deepen the lore of the IP, while on the other each entry will need to be taken into consideration, as a piece of larger story universe.

So about the only thing that is made easier, relatively speaking, is the reduction in the total number of field maps, to compensate for the increase in the number of terrain features assigned to each map. Specifically, I went from each terrain feature being assigned a 50 x 50 portion of the grid, resulting in 25 total terrain features per field map; to each terrain feature being assigned a 25 x 25 grid portion of the grid, resulting 100 total terrain features per map. Then reduced the total number of field maps to 100 total, as on offset for the rather hefty increase in assigned terrain features. I am also integrating town exterior maps into their corresponding field maps, rather than having them as separate maps accessed from the field maps.

Primarily I did this, because as I completed more & more of the field maps, under the previous system, they felt too empty & linear. & I disliked the discrepancy in scale between the towns on the field maps, versus their actual size on implemented town maps. Specifically, I would draw them out as a 1/5 model, & assign them to a 50 x 50 grid like any other terrain feature.

Changing those things was the primary reason for revision of the project, because it actually would have been more work to edit them into a new format, rather than just start fresh in some areas.

I was already beginning on a collection of word documents to that end actually. The major changes are rather easy, all things considered; because I plan on making it so that once the player chooses a faction, the player is closed off from all other faction story arcs. & the reputation system is easy enough to manage, that's just variables & triggers. Undertaking action X, then Y, then Z, for faction 1, each drops your reputation with faction 2 by various amounts; then once your reputation variable is low enough, faction 2 becomes hostile to you.

The real difficulty will be keeping track of how to ensure different faction quest arcs, effect the player's interactions with the various "scenery" NPCs, so that the game world feels responsive to player choices. I.e. working for the "Fighter Guild" type faction, you take out a dragon & some of the villagers praise you for your bravery & skill. Working for the "Thieves/Assassins Guild" type faction, you do various things, & some of the villagers become more distant towards you.

It's the more subtle things, that will need to be balanced, to act in accordance with the player character's actions, that I am anticipating the most work from.

Marquise* likes this.
  10. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @Ms Littlefish Thanks for the confirmation. At one point I thought I was crazy. I kinda am good at visualizing everything but right now it quite feel like trying to put together those 3D unfolding card designs. If with character and monsters sprites I can improvise rather well due to the nature of the roundness of organic forms. Something architectural in which I am not great at to begin with asks a lot of patience for me to realize if I want the top to be more prominent or the side and hold this up all the time for every parts while it is time to stitch everything together!

Progress:
    I went a wee bit panicky tonight (again!) as my computer failed to detect my scan and... Well scan my progress. Turned out that last time we got the new motherboard IN, we didn't plugged all back! -_-; Then as I made a scan of two different documents I couldn't get a good flat quality scan and I twice saved the same image rather than the next... More playing to answer this and there is the disaster I was working on;
    AH+Ai+Felibusts.jpg
    I can't show the other taller ship model but from the scribbling mistake you might have a faint idea. And true it isn't MR Cat reconverted as an alien the problem (Although I could had swore he knew I was working on an image inspired by him all the time I worked on that one) but the spaceships. Especially the hidden mega tall one!

BTW, anyone having a faint idea how many pixels overscan we can go on a background or a backdrop on MV? I would love doing Battle Background and map skies that scrolls in the infinity of space! :p (And then, crop that for VX Ace too! ^^)

@Kes Awww... As much as it pains me, I didn't had enough time to plan for NaNoWriMo but I was to at least attempt to finish the one from last year. I kinda kept it much super secret last year but it is still on my desktop and... It is a mature cyberpunk thingy. About a cop that is struggling to hide a disability and tries to find a solution while keeping working but getting partners and deontology suspicious and being helped by an AI that escaped its post and is on the loose to lend a hand... That might be a lot of troubles when NOT having hands. It seems that reality and my nerves ate everything up with the renewal of the bedbugs alert (I found 3 but I am unable to find the source as there are no traces of others. I kinda found like 1 per week maybe a big mamma, then 4 days later a minuscule grounded size pepper grain baby and then like one week later when I finally was in the mood for it a dying dried out flat maybe poppa. It kinda putted me on survival mode and when it is me doing the survival, I can try getting distracted a bit by games, but I kinda lack courage and inspiration and it is not very good narrating other character fighting against illness and society and net scares when feeling a simple hair on my skin cause me to powder all the house and perfume it with lavender to repel and kill the potential invaders. Busking was beautiful but not so good either; peoples can smell fear or despair and it is not something reassuring to smell in a clown, no matter how skilled the roboclown is!). It made me on alert since end of first week and fear for my dearest elderly DC. Even if I could all repack my live away for another year, I don't think we could survive another round of invasion and extermination. We already lost Mommy Cat at the end of it in 2015. I still am searching in the unpacking mess where are some of my important material and relocating things to find others mix even more all of my memory of where I managed what and to resist the urge to re-buy all back what I cannot find or mourn what I made myself. (Sorry, I kept it for myself and everyday I was haunted even doing some work and scheduled tasks by how much I wasn't able to do beyond some of my expectations. Usually I post way more here, but I felt burdensome and the need to hide as if you could all catch it.)