NPC characters who join you as party members if certain requirements are met

BestKouhaiLumie

The Prodigal Noob
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi! I'm pretty new to the RPG Maker scene, and working on a game in the MZ version rn. A pretty cool idea one of my friends brought up and which really appealed to me was what if certain NPCs in my game could transition into becoming actual party members? Provided the party fulfills certain conditions, like progressing to a certain point in the story, choosing a specific path during major events, getting them a unique item tied in to the NPC's character background etc? Is that plausible? My game universe as well as the main story is really, really big, so I can implement a lot of mechanics into it and make it more enjoyable for the enemy. What do you guys think? :3

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Well it is certainly a cool feature and can be very fun and interesting, it is really hard to implement. I don't mean hard as it's technically difficult, although it's not easy peasy either, I mean hard in a sense that it requires a lot of work and is really time consuming.

BestKouhaiLumie

The Prodigal Noob
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Definitely, it's perhaps the lengthiest part in my project but I'm not scared too much...

Regarding an NPC's unique questline, would it be better to put a linear one that just tells the party to do X, get Y and so on, or would a more complex system with multiple choices be better appreciated? Like where during one playthrough, you progress bit by bit and can lose out on potential NPC allies if you made choices non-aligned with their goals? It would contribute to the game's replayability value right?

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Multiple choices that affect the storyline do add replayability, but you must be careful not to add too many features. Those features need to work with your game. Your game is complete not when you have nothing left to add, but when you have nothing else to remove. Besides, having a choice system affecting the storyline with multiple NPCs that can join the party is just way too much work.

TLDR: It depends on your project.

JMsoup

New guy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
Wait for Watchdog: Legions to come out, play/watchdog legions and see if that system is actually what you want XD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I am trying to get my game published with Aldorlea Games so that I make sales from their website and the game being on Steam. They have said that their published games rarely make less than a few hundred dollars.
DoubleXP wrote on Tonbi's profile.
Hello Wondering if you take commissions?
I should make an itch.io page one of these days...Maybe for my next large update.
whoops, forgot to get started with Advent posts! coming shortly!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andreservicios