NPC chase and then "Game Over"

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX' started by jasminedragon, May 30, 2014.

1. jasminedragon

jasminedragon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello!

I'm terribly sorry if this has been posted before, but I have just joined and am having trouble getting a feel for the place.

I am trying to create an event where a girl walks out of a house, is approached by an enemy npc, the girl steps back a few steps, runs, and the npc chases her. If the npc catches her, I want the "game over" screen to be displayed.

So far, I have the first part down, which is a cutscene. The girl walks out on her own, turns, the npc appears, and she steps back a few steps while he advances a few steps. My problem is when the cutscene ends, the girl can run around fine, but the npc will take a step, pause, take another step, etc. when I program him to chase her. What can I do to get rid of the pause and have the npc chase her swiftly instead?

Thank you so much!

JasmineDragon

2. Laptopdancer

Laptopdancer Gaymerz Rock! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Have the NPC trigger be event touch and then have the command be to decrease hp by a giant amount that will result in death. if you need alternate responses IE the girl wins and then needs to activate the event for dialog use control switches...

jasminedragon likes this.
  3. Cadh20000

Cadh20000 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Increase the "Speed" and "Freq." in the event. Play around with the different possible settings to see what suits it best. "Speed" is how fast it moves when it takes a step, "Freq." is how often it takes a step. Basically the higher speed the quicker each step is taken while the higher the frequency the less time between steps.

jasminedragon likes this.
  4. jasminedragon

First Language:
    English
    Thank you so much to both of you! I will definitely try these things out.

Laptopdancer, how do you lower HP in the first place upon the npc touching the player?

Cadh20000, it definitely improved the time between steps, but still moves in a jerky manor. Is this unavoidable?

5. Cadh20000

First Language:
    English
    A jerky manner? Umm... All I can think is to increase the frequency so it does not pause between steps while lowering the speed a little bit. If that doesn't work then I'm sorry but I have no idea.

6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You don't need to lower HP. Isn't there a Call Game Over event command? Just have the event set to Event Touch with a move route of Approach, adjust the speed and frequency so it's not "jerky" movement, and in the event commands do a Call Game Over.

Laptopdancer likes this.
  7. jasminedragon

First Language:
    English
    Cadh20000: It's no problem, I've seen this movement pattern in other completed rpg games, and I think it might need a script to change. Maybe I'm just being a perfectionist haha. Thanks again for all the help!

Shaz: I'll see if there is a Game Over switch, though I've not seen it before; maybe I'm just oblivious. 

8. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Just set frequency to highest on the enemy NPC event.

9. Cadh20000

First Language:
    English
    The "Game Over" event command is on the third tab in the "Scene Control" command set.

10. jasminedragon

First Language:
    English
    Cadh20000: Brilliant, thank you! Can't believe I didn't see that >_>  Now time to delve into the glories of figuring out how to customize the window :p

Hotfirelegend: Hmm, I did that, but I'm starting to really wonder about this thing. I'm going to test out the sprite and everything just to make sure the animation itself isn't choppy. (I'm using regular vx by the way, could that change it?) I'll figure this out if it kills me!!

11. Cadh20000

First Language:
    English
    Oh, VX? I use VX Ace and to be honest all I really know about VX is that it is only similar to, not the same as, Ace. My advice could just plain be off then...