NPC Enter from Off Screen

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by danielrobertcampbell, May 6, 2016.

1. danielrobertcampbell

danielrobertcampbell Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm sure this has been asked a dozen times, but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. Hopefully this is the right place to ask it. 

I'm working on a short cutscene where I have an NPC enter from off screen. Is there a simple and easy way to do this that I'm just not seeing? Currently I have the player character sitting in a room by themselves, having some internal conversation, and I want someone to enter the room. 

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just put the NPC sprite one or two tiles off the screen.  When you're ready for them to walk in, use a Set Move Route to make them move.  Events just a few tiles away from the screen will update.

If the player can walk around the room beforehand and you don't want them to see the NPC, don't give it a sprite, and use the Change Graphic/Sprite command in the Set Move Route to add the sprite at the correct time.

Note - have ALL the commands in a single event.  Don't try to put the commands for the NPC on the NPC event.  Set Move Route will let you select which event (or the player) you want to apply it to.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2016
    danielrobertcampbell likes this.
  3. danielrobertcampbell

danielrobertcampbell Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thank you. I'll give that a shot when I can but that makes a lot more sense than what I was going to do (change transparency on and off based on a variable). /hugs!