AllyJamy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi, so I'm trying to get a NPC schedule working for my game.

I'm using the scripts: Harvest Moon style Variable Based Calendar and Weather System By Selchar
and Remember event position by Shaz

I have the NPC perform a schedule depending on what time of day it is. In this case, a 7PM the NPC gets out of bed, makes some breakfast, goes to eat at the table and then heads out to the door.

The variable based calender works how it sounds, you have your variables that change based on what time the clock says it is. You have the variables (Hours, minuets, days, weeks, years, ect)

and I've run into a number of problems:

-After leaving the level and returning the move route activates from the start and while the remember position remembers where the NPC was, the move route activates

from the start and the NPC usually ends up walking into a wall

-Without the Remember event position by Shaz, when you walk in and out of a level the event just starts from the beginning and original location. Even if you've just watched the NPC do 2/3's of its schedule..

-Talking to the NPC on the first page of the event stops it entirely sometimes

-Talk to the NPC on the second page and it will keep walkin or /Repeat its move route again 

I've tried putting the move route in common events, the autonomous movement and a parallel processes event in the scene. Still the same or similar or the same results..

Does anyone know how to make an NPC schedule work well? 

rpgmksceen.png

rpgmksceen2.png

rpgmksceen3.png

rpgmksceen4.png

rpgmksceen5.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
creating a schedule isn't easy, and you will always have hickups.

That said, placing set move routes on parallel process is always complicated and should not be done unless absolutely neccessary - is there a reason why you don't use custom autonomous movement on the event itself instead of an controlling event?

A single controlling event is the better solution for cutscene, but for independent NPC movement with random interaction the autonomous movement is much better than set move route.

Rinobi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well... an auto-path script that allows characters to calculate their route from A to B automatically would be better than using the default move route here. That would at least solve the problem with your event walking into a wall. However, event processing begins when the player enters the map, and there isn't any way (that's already available) around that as far as I know. While you could pull this off with cleaver eventing in theory, it would likely be very cumbersome. Just for argument's sake, you could check the event's X Y location when the player enters the map and adjust move route accordingly. You could more closely synchronize the event's schedule with your game time, creating minute-based schedules instead of hours. This will reduce the likelihood of repeating cycles when the player is changing maps.

Perhaps I'm missing the simple solution here, but this may be one of those situations where you'll want to consider a compromise.

AllyJamy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
creating a schedule isn't easy, and you will always have hickups.

That said, placing set move routes on parallel process is always complicated and should not be done unless absolutely neccessary - is there a reason why you don't use custom autonomous movement on the event itself instead of an controlling event?

A single controlling event is the better solution for cutscene, but for independent NPC movement with random interaction the autonomous movement is much better than set move route.

Mainly because whenever I talked to the NPC, the move route just repeated and i got that walking into a wall problem. I'll try it again though.

Well... an auto-path script that allows characters to calculate their route from A to B automatically would be better than using the default move route here. That would at least solve the problem with your event walking into a wall. However, event processing begins when the player enters the map, and there isn't any way (that's already available) around that as far as I know. While you could pull this off with cleaver eventing in theory, it would likely be very cumbersome. Just for argument's sake, you could check the event's X Y location when the player enters the map and adjust move route accordingly. You could more closely synchronize the event's schedule with your game time, creating minute-based schedules instead of hours. This will reduce the likelihood of repeating cycles when the player is changing maps.

Perhaps I'm missing the simple solution here, but this may be one of those situations where you'll want to consider a compromise.

Hmm, the auto path script sounds like a good idea. I'll try what you said. 

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

The full estate map(include 1F,2F,3F and backyard), yes the backyard is a small labyrinth as well as an entrance to a real labyrinth!
Sometimes you Just need to realise someone is beyond help... Still hard to walk away tho :(
100 Horror/Tragedy Sample Maps, Penguin Mech Sprite, & TileD Templates | RPG Maker News #70

Continuing working on abs. So far I have done the workout twice. I am excited to see the results after a couple of weeks. How is everyone doing? :)
MZ: oh boy imma work today
Me, excited: Really?
MZ, doesn't do what I tell It too
Me: I Thought-
MZ: I am Working!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ollieoxenfree95