NPC syndrom

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Oddball, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    anyone ever been in a social situation and you feel you cant really contribute any meaningfull conversation?

Like your just a background charecter in the group even though you want to add to the disscusion/s?

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yes, it's called my life! :p

Wookiee420 likes this.
  3. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Got ninja'd by bgillisp. but yes. That is every day of my life. Just don't join big groups. Being ignored is inevitable. 

Wookiee420 likes this.
  4. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Theres a problem with that, im an ambivert

anyway, tell me about some of those situations

5. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, mine is more my interests don't align with most others. I'm a mathematician who also does game dev. I see very few movies, and watch a little sports. But it leaves little to talk about as what I know of math goes over everyone's head, so what they know about I don't, and vice versa.

Verdelite, Wookiee420 and kaukusaki like this.
  6. Niten Ichi Ryu

Niten Ichi Ryu Grey Lords Emissary Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I used to be a socialite, but then I took an arrow in the knee...

LxCharon, Oddball, kaukusaki and 2 others like this.
  7. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I dislike dealing with people *period*. (Online is less headache inducing but still).  The only way i have to is only if its mandatory and with that depending on what function it is i have 2 modes : coffee strong enough to put hair on your chest or a couple of collins.  The older i get the more disdain i have with the collective. Every day i have to put a mask on and deal with conflicting personalities.  Even on the job. Including mine and im the executive.  

If i could be a hermit i would but i have bills to pay. I feel like a cranky sim most days. But the world turns stuff happens and then you die. Tis life that...

Wookiee420 likes this.
  8. Wookiee420

Wookiee420 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    i spend a majority of my time alone, working on my game, when i go out and talk about my game i get a blank stare, then they ask the inevitable, "Thats cool, when can I play it." and then when you explain the long process and that you are still a ways away from people playing, and get something along the lines of them not understanding why it takes so long and not believing that you will actually finish. then i try to have other conversations but my nerd goes over their head, and before i know it i am standing there talking to myself anyways. So i just cut out the middle man and spend my day alone...Unless i'm at working cooking, and there they ignore me too.

kaukusaki and Crabs like this.
  9. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'd start walking with people, and they'd have a ten minute conversation. Then whenever I say something, they keep talking. 

That used to happen a lot. Now, it's more or less standing there for five million years in a group, then scaring the heck out of them when I talk into the silence. I'm a loner, I really am. It's really the worst when I'm in a group and I find out they like something that I like, so then I get excited and go overboard, and I get glassy-eyed stares back and then I freeze because glassy-eyed people unsettle me, and then I have an inner breakdown because I just acted like an idiot, and I have a whole bunch of eyes on me and leave me alone stop staring at me stop judging me I'm sane everyone hates me how do I even have friends I'm a horrible person... And then I look down and get depressed and beat myself up inside and then listen to some depressing music to make myself feel better and I'm a little weirdo now you guys are judging me too leave me alone I have feelings too...  ;_;

kaukusaki, Wookiee420 and Crabs like this.
  10. Crabs

Crabs Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    I'm not only an NPC, but a boring one for most people as well.

I only talk about programming, MMORPGs and Doto. Sometimes about mango and animu, but I don't read/watch the popular ones...

Glad on the internetz there's a lot of ppl who share the same interests. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2017
    kaukusaki and Wookiee420 like this.
  11. Wookiee420

Wookiee420 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    HEY WEIRD INTROVERTS!!!! HIT ME UP, LETS CHAT ONLINE AND NEVER HANG OUT AND BE HAPPY, BECAUSE THE PEOPLE WE FOUND UNDERSTAND US.

mlogan, Crabs and kaukusaki like this.
  12. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I can relate to all this lolz. I have a plethora of varied niche interests,  tend to get excited about subjects that goes over most folks heads, and enjoy my alone time because its easier than folks who mimic goldfish when i fill the silence.

Haunting here fills gaps of the momentary bouts of loneliness i sometimes feel. Good enough i suppose ? 

Carry on

Crabs and Wookiee420 like this.
  13. Pierman Walter

Pierman Walter Chunk Monster Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I feel like there are many levels of introversion.

1: Doesn't like meeting new people or huge groups, but can do it anyway.

2: Can't meet new people or huge groups, okay around friends.

3: Doesn't like to talk, even around friends.

4: Doesn't talk to anyone in real life, most interactions are online.

Level 5 EXTREME MODE: No real life interactions, also scared of online interactions.

I am an introvert, and most of my friends are introverts, but I am too extroverted for them, which leads to weird stuff like having them recoil in horror after asking them to go ice skating, and being super disappointed when I walk two miles to a party because all of them suddenly decide they don't want to go, kick me out of the car, and turn back. You may be wondering why I'm still friends with them after they keep on ditching me, but all the extroverts I know entertain themselves by emulating rap videos and sneaking into strip clubs, getting into fights behind bars, and binge drinking outlandishly expensive liquor. Being bored and disappointed once in a while is vastly preferable.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2017
    Punamaagi, kaukusaki and Crabs like this.
  14. Niten Ichi Ryu

Niten Ichi Ryu Grey Lords Emissary Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't think it has really to do with introversion, I'm rather extroverted actually, with behavior ranging from the most simple (being somewhat a chatterbox) to the most extreme (running naked on Dublin's James Joy bridge at 10 am on weekdays). Yet there happened often that I felt the same, being an outlander in a middle of friendly conversation. Most often its because the conversation doesn't interest me (like talking about banalities such as the movie or show seen on tv yesterday, or your family trip) or because I already derailed the conversation into such extremes that people not as crazy or being able to 2nd degree can't follow me.

It often boils down to who is actually your entourage. Are you adapted to them but most of all them to you?. In the end, they are the NPC of your life, not the contrary. And If to fit with lots of people I need to support boring conversations, forget it, I'd rather keep running on that bridge with less folks but who are true to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2017
    Punamaagi, kaukusaki and Crabs like this.
  15. noctiluca

noctiluca Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think it really depends on the situation. There are a lot of times I feel like a spectator to a conversation and don't have anything to add, and I feel that's normal instead of being particularly introverted (even though I am leaning introvert). Usually it's either a subject I don't know a lot about (would rather listen and learn, or tune out if it's boring) oooorrrr I really don't know the people who are talking, I'm only listening in, and I feel it's inappropriate to interject because I never felt like a part of the conversation.

Like, I know I can be pretty taken aback when a stranger interjects in a conversation, but if it's in a public place they have a right to listen so it doesn't bother me that much. Especially since I was telling a funny story ;D Last time that happened was a week ago, was at a cafe discussing how I know people who are just as awfully absurd as Always Sunny characters with all the amusing anecdotes and someone at another table had to tell me they loved Always Sunny. It was a little personal but I am not all that secretive.

When talking to friends (or people who I believe are good enough company to be friends) I do not shut up. Oddly, though, I absolutely hate talking to people one-on-one unless I really trust them. I feel less cornered when I'm talking in a small group. Since I've been on the internet so long, I have no idea if it was a quirk caused by frequenting forums/chatrooms, or if I was always this way and liked forums/chatrooms because of it.

kaukusaki likes this.
  16. Caitlin

Caitlin \(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Actually, my sister and I have had a good laugh about this and thought, 'what if you discovered that you were an NPC, and that meant someone else made your life crappy on purpose?' (o_o') Well, sometimes I do feel like an NPC, but I am really lucky in that I decided that I wanted at least one awesome true friend in life.  I have two people that I can talk to in real life that share some interest with me.

My sister, Sarah is someone that we share a love of video games, stories (which lincludes movies, cartoons, anime, life action, computer generator, korean dramas), some music, and discussing politics and religious principals (not Christian, more like other religions) and history (we both LOVE history (including archaeological digs.

My father and I used to share a love of cartoons, and video games, we were just getting up to the point where I was starting to really open up with the addition of developing a scene of humor (turned out I loathe American humor)

While my mother and I discuss family genealogy, history, crimes and related things. 

I am more at home in my head, rather than talking to people that I just meet.  I have to be around a person for quite awhile, before I talk to someone. But yeah, I do understand feeling like an NPC. 

Crabs likes this.
  17. mogwai

mogwai 1984 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've sat there like a mute invalid at every social function I've ever been at.

It makes me wonder if I can't write (like game story and stuff) because I'm socially illiterate. I only watch cartoons.

18. Lornsteyn

Lornsteyn Sleepy Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    In groups im often very quite, since i can think, i dont know why, but it doesnt bother me.

Is it important to talk if you cant contribute something to the conversion?

Just stay how you are, there are to many ppl on the world who talk nonsense, quite ppl like us know when the right time is to talk.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2017