Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello everyone!

Just an update on all the things happening on the project! Last month Numina started on *******, with exclusive behind the scenes material & info on the game's progress along with an exclusive tutorial series:

The latest entry focusses on shadow maps, especially how to draw them by yourself and good practices around them. Please check out the ******* and consider supporting the project https://www.*******.com/numina

We also have an official Discordserver where you can hang out and chat with everybody, so feel free to join! c: https://discord.gg/zsMe6JX

Dust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Next year will be a great year! I've released a post on Numina's official website regarding the release of the 2nd Chapter "hope"! At this point I would like to thank you all, whether you have been with me for many years or have only recently found out about Numina. I am happy about all your comments, feedback or just likes I wish you all a successful & fulfilling new year!

> Read "The Next Chapter of Numina"

synchronicity

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looking at the maps on this really makes me nostalgic for RMXP - I was always partial to their style of graphics. I'm going to download this when I get to the library tomorrow and try it out! I'll share my feedback once I've had a chance to play :)

Ziyan

The Holy Sword
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Those maps are so gorgey :kaoluv:

Jellicoe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Story
It all begins in a remote village, where a young man called Shawn travels together with his friends to a nearby templesite, called the Temple of the Clouds. But the beauty of the scenery seems to be but a cover, as Shawn accidently discovers a secret basement in the temple.

There, Shawn gets into contact with you(!) - a guardian spirit. A bodyless entity from ancient tales... that talks in his head! But Shawn has no time to worry as a mysterious, shrouded group arrive at the temple, questioning Shawn's intrusion. Events spiral out of Shawn's control, dragging you along with Shawn and his friends into a fateful journey that will discover the true nature of your bond and the dark secrets of this world!

Gameplay
The main focus lies on the bond between you and Shawn and how well you two get along as you travel the world of Alterna. Shawn's affection towards you and other characters is influenced based on what you say to him during the course of the story!

The game incorporates a turn-based battle system, fused with action-commands for certain skills that require precise timed-inputs. Each character brings their own battle-style into play for a thrilling battle experience. For example, Cassandra uses a bow which requires you to really take aim at the enemies to land a critical hit:

Screenshots

Since a picture paints a thousand words, I've added a few additional screenshots from the demo version below!

Afterword
I've been working on Numina for quite some time now. In the beginning it was a German-only release, but I wanted to present the project to a broader audience, which is why this demo also ships with an English localization.

The project is also on Steam Greenlight, where it needs your vote, so that the full version can be released on Steam. I currently don't have a set release date for the full game, because I'm still working on it. But I'm very excited about this first international release and I can't wait to hear your feedback! :)
This game looks superb! The graphics and mapping especially. I really like your portraits a lot too! Did you do them yourself or did you commission it? Who would that artist be!

Dust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you guys! c:

@Jellicoe I comissioned them from clivenzu, definitely check out her stuff, she's amazing!

Dust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Devlog #1 - Fundamental Elemental

I’ve talked in the release-announcement of Numina’s 2nd chapterabout incorporating more strategy into the battle system. This post will be all about one aspect of this: Elemental weaknesses and how to use them to your advantage!

Attacks that deal damage of a certain element type (Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, Light & Dark) are a well-known staple in RPGs. Numina also featured these mechanics since the very first demo but with the next release I focused on giving them more weight and importance.

If you hit an enemy with an elemental attack that he’s weak against, you stagger him and get another bonus turn! You can do this once per enemy during your round. So if you know your enemy’s weakness you can quickly decimate them (and they take double damage on top of that!)

Shawn triggers a critical hit by using the fire-weakness of the enemy (WiP)

But this also goes the other way around: Each of the characters have an elemental weakness that the enemies can tap into and stagger you in return. Similar to the latest entry in the Persona-series, a great showcase of how to spice up the turnbased formula. But don’t despair! There’s plenty of new equipment available in the game that alters a character’s elemental alignment.

Most of these items come with pros and contras: The “Aquamarine” for example heightens your magical attack, but makes you weak against fire-damage:

The equip-menu showing (German version) previewing the effects of equipping the aquamarine. (WiP)

There are also rare jewellery like the “Crimson Ring” that enhances your fire-damage but makes you weak against water-damage. You’ll be able to mix and match these components to suit the current situation.

There are also many other details in which I improved upon the battle-system, including the action-commands known from the last demo and spirit-attacks that incorporate your relationship towards the characters. Stick around for more details on those in the future!

Guld

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks great

Dust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have a little christmas present for you guys coming up! It’s an announcement regarding the upcoming release of Numina. Please don’t expect a release date for the 2nd chapter, instead I’d like to give you more details on the upcoming release, before sending you off into the new year

I’d like to leave you a little something because I really appreciate your continued interest in the project over the years. It’s the holiday season and a time to be a bit introspective and grateful for the good things in life. And I’m very happy for each comment and piece of feedback everyone has left me since the last release. It’s been a while so I’m so thrilled to get into the final stages of the next release and share my plans for 2020 with you guys on christmas. I hope you’re looking forward to the announcement!

gRaViJa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
I still think the rmxp rtp was the best rtp ever and this project shows why. Good thinking to combine it with all the features in MV. Keep it up in 2020!

Dust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I still think the rmxp rtp was the best rtp ever and this project shows why. Good thinking to combine it with all the features in MV. Keep it up in 2020!
Yeah I just love the artstyle of the XP RTP and it'll always have a special place in my heart :D

Dust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Chapter I, II and III will release on the same day!

Happy Holidays everyone! It's the festive season and I wanted to leave all of you a little present in form of an announcement for next year as well: The full version of Numina will release in 2020.

This means chapter 1 "Noesis", chapter 2 "Elpis" (formerly called "Hoffnung", German for "Hope") and chapter 3 "Gnosis" will release simultaneously as a full game. This doesn't mean that the release will be pushed back: The goal is to release the game around Q2 2020 with beta-testing starting early next year.

As you already know from the last demo, "Noesis" introduces the characters and the story's themes. "Elpis" will focus on the bonds between the characters and some of the secrets and mysteries brought up in the first chapter. Finally, "Gnosis" will be a tumultuous resolution to the storyline, incorporating many decisions made by the player along the way.

I decided against an episodic release for various reasons, one of the simplest are the technical challenges that come with managing a split-release with RPG Maker MV. It would have meant to invest time into ensuring that the chapters smoothly integrate on Steam, itch.io and so on, instead of spending that time on the game itself.

Progress-wise I've finished working on chapter 2 and I'm currently finishing up the final scenes of the last chapter. My goal is to start with testing in January, while also starting to work on the english translation. There's also loads of other things for me to take care of such as preparing the Steam-release, doing promotional work and also keep you lovelies in the loop :)

I can't say it enough, but I'm very grateful for the loyal following I've gathered. It's a huge dream of mine to create games and especially with Numina, it's been almost a decade of my life. So I hope it'll result in something special for everyone involved.

Thank you all again! See you in the next year, I'm sure it's gonna be an exciting one.

QuikInk

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks great! Can't wait to play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I wonder what cat meat tastes like.
Some call him... the wacky one.
Writing out an idea for the No Travel Game Jam. I have a general plot and challenge written out, it's just a matter of filling the rest in and making it interesting.
A definite difficult time right now. How is everyone doing during this pandemic? I already have seen furloughs and layoffs.
Hollow 1977 wrote on Archeia's profile.
Hope you and your family are doing well during this difficult time. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wutong