Obfuscation/Encryption solution for Windows-Only project besides Enigma

Bura

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
From what I have read, the only solution to obfuscate the project files seems to be the Enigma Protector. I have read a couple of posts where other possible solutions aren't taken into account as it would mean the game wouldn't work on browsers, tablets or Mac, but in my case I just need it to work on Windows, so I was wondering if there's something else I could do instead of packing everything into a single EXE, because it causes severe framerate slowdowns from what I have experienced.

My biggest concern at this moment is that my img folder is full of spoilers, so I wouldn't want the player to open that folder by mistake. My second concern is that everyone could easily grab any of the songs, which obviously wouldn't make composers too happy.

I know there's no way of making something uncrackable, but I wonder if there's anything similar to RM2k .XYZ extension for images, something the common user wouldn't bother with.

Thanks in advance.

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There is the possibility to make a special executable that will act as the decryption and the player program. You'll can use Visual Studio to write an encryption program, encrypt the files and then write the player program with the decryption key. You do need some knowledge in encryption. One of the downsides to this is if neither the game and the program is in sync, you risk crashing the game.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Search the forum - Tsukihime made a short test on file encryption one or two weeks ago. That solution is not enough as a resource protection or to satisfy the EULA requirements for shop resources, but it would make the pictures unreadable in regular programs (and could do the same for audios). It'll take a programmer only a few minutes to find the cause if he knows what he's doing (that is why it doesn't meet the EULA requirements), but it would still require decrypting of every singe file to reveal the spoilers. For casual players that is too much.

Bura

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Search the forum - Tsukihime made a short test on file encryption one or two weeks ago. That solution is not enough as a resource protection or to satisfy the EULA requirements for shop resources, but it would make the pictures unreadable in regular programs (and could do the same for audios). It'll take a programmer only a few minutes to find the cause if he knows what he's doing (that is why it doesn't meet the EULA requirements), but it would still require decrypting of every singe file to reveal the spoilers. For casual players that is too much.

Thank you! That's good enough for me.

I know most MV games aren't even hiding their files since it's a bit troublesome, but even something as simple as changing the file extension would be enough for me. I'll get in contact with him!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

SpaceBot wrote on DoctorMolotov's profile.
I miss you :kaocry:
I have game ideas, but none of them would fit the theme for IGMC. XD
Why the heck do I keep comparing my games to ones made by huge companies? I'd love them to have that level of polish but I'm simply not good enough.
Hell of a day at the London Games Market! :D

1656892272017.png

Check out my haul!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
my_birthday1205