Object too deep.

Discussion in 'Javascript/Plugin Support' started by KawaiiKid, Nov 19, 2017.

1. KawaiiKid

KawaiiKid Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So this is going to be a bit of a hard one I think, but I'll try to go over this as well as I can from a non programmer's standpoint.

I am getting the object too deep error, and have narrowed it down to 2 conflicting JS plugins. The first is a plugin that summons an actor to the battle: http://sumrndm.site/summon-core/

And the second is a JS plugin that expands on restrictions in the game (such as needing to have a state to use a skill, or be a certain class): https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...kill-and-skill-type-restrictions-1-5-3.49224/

These 2 plugins work fine when running together until I actually put a restriction on a skill - it doesn't actually matter what skill as long as the actor using the summon ability has it learned, as soon as I use the tag, I will get this error. Here is how to replicate the bug: After restricting a skill (what I was using
    <Restrict>
    State: 998
    </Restrict>
    )
    Go into combat and summon an actor using the plugin. On the next turn, when you go to your skill menu the game will crash and you will get the error "Object too deep."

After looking around for hours I found that this may be caused by the two plugins using the same variable perhaps? I'm not sure at all, since I am really bad at programming. If anyone could help me out on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Both of these plugins are core to my game, and without them a looooot of things won't work in the game.

Thanks for your consideration~

2. Joy Diamond

Joy Diamond Talkative Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Greetings KawaiiKid,
    Thank you for narrowing it down to two plugins, that makes it a lot easier for other's to reproduce your bug & then try to squash it.​

The next step that would really help are:
    1. Reproduce the bug in a totally empty project (so that other's can do this on their computer) with just those two plugins & nothing else.
    2. Post screen shots of this in clear SPOILER tags.
    3. Post very brief instructions (which you have already started above) of the plugins.
    Let me explain this step by step & how a good bug report is made using Sharm's bug report on MOG_CursorBorder as a sample of a really good report that made it easy to find the bug and stomp it:

First she explained the bug clearly in one sentence:
    Second & most importantly she took time to reproduce the bug & using SPOILER tags posted them:
    1. She posted "some images of the problem, using the menu's demo file, only adding the mog border plugin".
    2. Then she posted a second step of images "Here's how it looks with the default border (no Mog plugin)"
    3. Then she posted a third set of images "Here's Mog's plugin on a default menu"
    The most important part of that was "using the menu's demo file". This made it very easy to reproduce the bug.

Third (you have already done this), she explained where to find the two plugin's so we could reproduce the bug:
    The above steps made it much easier to reproduce the bug, so it only took me about one hour to reproduce the bug following Sharm's instructions. I then explained in detail, for others helping to look for the bug how to reproduce the bug:
    So I am asking you to follow these steps & yes it will probably take you one to two hours (maybe longer) to do this:
    • Isolate the problem down to "using the menu's demo file" with just plugins.
    • Post images of this in SPOILER tags like Sharm did.
    • Post clear step by step instructions like I did.
    This will make it much easier for others, so they might be able to stomp your bug in one to two hours (maybe longer).

Without clear instructions from you, it could easily take them even more hours to stomp your bug. Thus solving bugs is a cooperative process between the bug reporter & the people trying to stomp the bug.
    Thanks,

Joy Diamond

3. KawaiiKid

KawaiiKid Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Alright, going off what I said above, I've recreated the bug in a demo file you can find here:

(I've removed almost all the sound and images from the folder to reduce the size of the download)

After loading the plugins, the first step is to make an actor that will be summoned into the battle. For the Demo I named this: "Summoned Thing"
    [​IMG]

Next is to create a skill that will summon him. This is done by creating a spell, and placing the following in the note tag:
    <Summon>
    Actor ID: 5
    <End Summon>
    The actor ID being the actor who will be summoned into the battle.
    [​IMG]

So far this has all been for the summon plugin, which works fine. You can go into the demo and fight, and you can summon the enemy and cast spells without hitch after this. Next we will move on to the Restrictions plugin. For this we will add the following notetag to the skill "Fire"
    <Restrict>
    LevelMin: 1
    </restrict>
    This will tell the plugin to only allow the actor to be able to use the ability if he is Level 1. This bug can be replicated with any restriction tag, I'm just using this one as an example.
    [​IMG]
    Make sure to give your actor both the Fire spell and the Summon spell so you will be able to use them in game.

Now to replicate the bug.
    Play test the game and enter battle by talking to the npc. Once in battle, use the Summon spell to summon the actor to battle. In this demo he won't be visible due to being designed to work with the side view battle system, but I can assure you this works when implemented, I've just omitted it to cut down on file size and to reduce the chances of interference from other plugins during this test. Once it is your turn to act again (not the summons) go to your skill menu, and the following error will appear.
    [​IMG]

This bug can be stopped by changing the restrictions on the spell "Fire". If you have restrictions on any other spell that the player has not learned in game yet, the bug will not happen, it only happens when the player has a spell in his inventory that has the restrictions note tag applied.

I've also made a video replicating this bug that can be found here

Thanks for your time.

Joy Diamond likes this.
  4. Joy Diamond

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Greetings KawaiiKid,

Great!​

Thanks!

Wow - Very nice. :cool: I watched the video & it makes it super clear how to reproduce the bug:
    • I'll be linking to this bug report in the future as another example of writing a great bug report!
    Joyfully,

Joy Diamond,

P.S.: If no one else looks at it later today, I'll be sure to take a look at it (I have to head out to church now and then visit a friend afterwards to work on the MICA - Monster Is Coming ARGGH! game together ... so I can't look at it for quite a few hours ... but after that I can ...)

2017-11-20 12:00am UTC I'm looking to reproduce the bug now

2017-11-20 12:20am UTC Bug has been reproduced due to the excellent video by KawaiiKid .... but bad news ...
    upload_2017-11-19_19-20-10.png

The bug is triggered inside of the rpg_core.js as a recursive call. These are hard bugs to find ... sometimes very hard ...
    (NOTE: The bug is probably not in rpg_core, but just triggered there ...)

2017-11-20 12:30am UTC Ok, now we are looking at the code that is in the above stack trace ...
    upload_2017-11-19_19-31-28.png

Ok, this is looking a bit more positive ... It is probably a recursive object that is self-referential from one of the other two plugins that is causing this bug ...

2017-11-20 12:45am UTC Ok, now we have modified the code & can see it in the debugger:
    upload_2017-11-19_19-45-54.png
    upload_2017-11-19_19-47-52.png

2017-11-20 1:20am UTC GRR, found a totally unrelated bug in rps_core.js!! Took me half an hour .... I'll report on it later ...

upload_2017-11-19_20-28-8.png

upload_2017-11-19_20-25-10.png

upload_2017-11-19_20-34-31.png

2017-11-20 2:00am UTC So have found the self-referential object & what it means:

It is basically Harold._summons[0]._battleSprite.parent.parent.parent.parent.stage.stage

upload_2017-11-19_20-59-24.png

Update: After looking at this 3 & a half hour, I have a very good idea of the bug. How to fix it is another matter though ....

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    KawaiiKid likes this.
  5. Joy Diamond

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Greetings KawaiiKid,

History:
    2017-11-20 12:00am UTC I'm looking to reproduce the bug now

2017-11-20 12:20am UTC Bug has been reproduced due to the excellent video by KawaiiKid .... but bad news ...

The bug is triggered inside of the rpg_core.js as a recursive call. These are hard bugs to find ... sometimes very hard ...
    (NOTE: The bug is probably not in rpg_core, but just triggered there ...)

2017-11-20 12:30am UTC Ok, now we are looking at the code that is in the above stack trace ...

Ok, this is looking a bit more positive ... It is probably a recursive object that is self-referential from one of the other two plugins that is causing this bug ...

2017-11-20 12:45am UTC Ok, now we have modified the code & can see it in the debugger:

2017-11-20 1:20am UTC GRR, found a totally unrelated bug in rps_core.js!! Took me half an hour .... I'll report on it later ...

2017-11-20 2:00am UTC So have found the self-referential object & what it means:

It is basically Harold._summons[0]._battleSprite.parent.parent.parent.parent.stage.stage

I have some good news for you:
    • My previous investigation showed that this was a mixture of three different bugs.
    The good news is a major one of these bugs has been fixed with 1.6.0 Public Beta Test
    • The fix is lines 111-160.
    • From a private conversation I wrote, here is a link to the code explaining the issue:
    [​IMG]
    • Now that the first bug has been solved, the second bug is much easier to understand.
    • First we get a different (and much more useful) error:
    upload_2017-11-24_11-8-3.png
    • Second this time the stack trace is on the exact problem (no longer masked by the first bug):
    upload_2017-11-24_11-10-3.png
    This second bug in Bob_EnhancedRestrictions.js still needs to be fixed; however, major progress :)

[​IMG]
    Thanks,

Joy Diamond

The second bug, third & fourth bugs were found while working on this bug: Object to deep.

There are two bugs from this in RPG Maker MV CoreScript (this is the game engine that RPG Maker uses & is the js/rpg_*.js files in each game).

The second bug has already been fixed (not by me, by someone else), and the fix can be seen in https:/js/rpg_core/JsonEx.js lines 111-160 (this is the github repository for the RPG Maker MV CoreScript):

(NOTE: You can Compare this to the previous spoiler, which shows the current version of JsonEx._encode before the fix)
    The fourth bug is in BOB_EnhancedRestrictions.js:

NOTE: The bug was not in Ellye's State Damage plugin & to fix the current bug report by Kawaiikid we need to, instead, get at the root of the problem in BOB_EnhancedRestrictions.js.​

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    KawaiiKid likes this.