rstukko

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So, I have been making an Open world game for quite some time now. This is my first post to this forum and I do consider myself a "seasoned player" I know how to use many scripts very well and have many good scripts that allow an Open world game to be possible.

The game has no actual "world map" just 4 large "field" maps, 3 cities and 4 towns/villages with many caves and stuff in between. My question for you guys is, is there a way that I can make an arrow or an actual visual director to point the character in the direction of their objective? Is there a way that I can almost guide the player in the direction of where they actually need to go? I have looked a lot for something like this with no luck. If you need any additional information from me please let me know.

Thank you all very much! 

-Finn 

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you know the XY coordinates of both the target and the player, you can use simple mathematics to calculate the geometry, and then use rotate picture on an arrow picture.

However, I think this is a bad idea - where is the fun in exploring an open world when the computer points you to all targets? I hate such guidance even on simple adventure games - in an open world game it will only destroy the main function of the game. Just because most current MMORPGs cater to casual players who are too lazy (OK, or don't have enough time in RL) to really play the game, those beacons shouldn't be added to all other games...

ArcaneEli

Mage of Thunder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I mean you can have signs in the world map have like

NORTH: TOWN OF FLOWA

SOUTH: UNEXPLORED CAVES

WEST: RUINED FORTRESS

Color coordinate it so people know Green = town, red = dungeon, yellow = mystery.

Have like hikers/adventurers on the trail pointing out where stuff is happening.

Have clear roads with merchants on them telling you about wonders.

Or just have an Event that's an Green Arrow above a castle in the overworld. so you know thats a town,

a yellow arrow above a tree in a random forest on the overworld so you know there is something secret there.

I have the strangest feeling that this isn't at all what you asked for lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Sixth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Unless you manage to make an algorithm that could connect maps automatically and find the path (or even just a direct line) to the objective's co-ordinate, it will not happen.

The pathfinder thing is the easiest part here.

Making the path across multiple maps is something I have not yet seen in any RPG Maker scripts/games.

There is a mini-map script which could display arrows which point to the objective's location, but I don't remember if it is capable of tracking locations across multiple maps or not.

I think it was Napoleon's Mini Map script. Try that one out, maybe it will work for you.

And as a final note: Mini-map scripts will impact your FPS for sure.

rstukko

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for all the replies guys! These are all great ideas and thank you for your time. The thing is, this game has quite a large map. It has cities, connection "forests" for maps, and in these forests are many gaves and vales and groves which have their own objectives. For instance, one of the missions is "Go to (cave name here) and retrieve an amulet for the king" this cave is quite isolated, how would I make it so the player can SOMEWHAT get an idea of where to go? Again thank you all and many blessings. 

Tathel

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just give them a rough idea of where to go and/or a map item. If you have given the player some clue of which way to go, then after that wandering off is half the fun, or if the directions are reasonable enough the player should be able to go straight there after one or two tries. For the map, you can do anything from a custom realistic looking one, to just a picture of the field map, or other map, they need to traverse, and maybe even have the area they need to get to highlighted. That way they have the general idea of which way to go. Most people can figure it out from there.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

spillycup wrote on Finnuval's profile.
i love u so much! i’m so happy you’re in my life right now :kaocry:
To my horror, I found out I got zero Jack Vance books in my bookshelf! :kaoback: Where do y'all go in the internet to buy used books? Like, not Amazon?
Marquise* wrote on Mrs_Allykat's profile.
Your new logo is sooooo attractive! Feels like those sour liquid candy mixed with the wrapping of the popping candy rocks ones. ^^ It gives flavor and taste to our eyes. ^^
Sorry I couldn't comment before, I relogged here for someone's B-Day yesterday. ((Yeah yeah... been scared got on the throne and all as usual. Being social seems harder than walking now. So sorry to everyone and especially you.))
How goes the game make?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Applegreed