October 2020 Goals and Progress Thread

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
I feel lazy these days. Maybe more escaping in the Fallout universe more than I should.
DC have a last bad tooth in the rear side of her mouth and MrC claw cells growths under the 3 thumb paw... like he hadn't enough front paws toes or something.

I am patching back the lab at the moment but it is somekind of inverted tetris challenge. Hope the BBs stays out of the picture. And a bad good news here, I am on a recent model portable. It is supra fast... but not same capacity as my old desktop so have to be careful with my transfers and I am not over yet. :S

*cybermental hugs everyone*

I am missing my hopefull days ^^

Lihinel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Still working on finishing a more playable version for a game from a german contest from 2 month ago.

In the meantime, I was playing around with creating a new window superclass to use in the future.
It is pretty simple for me to customize and will hopefully make it easier to create new menus in the future.
Since it doesn't rely on many build in functions, except for image loading and sound it should be possible to port it to MZ if that one still uses JS and Pixi.

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So, uh. I'm written myself into a corner with my excessive worldbuilding. I'm rebooting A Lion in Scarlet, and am focusing on just my main character. My basic inspiration is the same: Lion King meets Dragon Quest. However, I'm also taking inspiration from the two Tomba (Tombi in PAL region) games. If I include any NPC allies, they'll be handled akin to Earthbound's extra buddies: can't be targeted by enemy or ally, and give help to the MC.

Right now, am compiling assets. Am upping the graphics to RMDS assets, and wanna throw in some FES stuff from the resource pack too. As I'm using VX Ace, I'll need to work a bit to I can fit the tilesets dimensions, etc of Ace. Trying to ponder adventures I'd really want to send Raziya on, using Who-What-Where-When-Why-How to keep focus on what I need to plan early on.

I don't intend to blab about this on RMN or my Twitter until I have a proof of concept. That said, I'm not going to stress myself out with forced obligations or even a tentative demo release date. I work best as a pantser, with minimal planning, and I want the game to evolve as organically as possible.

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Finally managed to get the Mac going again off a really crazy idea - seeing that I'm really only using my Xbox for testing purposes now (and with Series X on the way as it is) I decided to get one of its external drives to boot the Mac, after which I was finally able to reinstall on the internal drive (along with an onboard recovery partition so that I don't have to locate my repair stick if this happens again).

In terms of progress, I'm actively preparing the mobile viewports in a Xamarin project and have also started to implement the basic structure of the perfect clear requirements. Also, some of the key items now have an intro sequence to explain their functions. Evac and transport skills are also written into the plot now (for the purposes of my project, you unlock these skills as a part of the plot instead of simply having to rely on standard level grinding, and it also gives you time for knowing the ropes before you're allowed to use these abilities. And finally I've hidden my first two gemstones which are required for the perfection condition and its associated endgame boss.

Joy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Deeply back into the game making again. Now that I'm a programmer by profession, time to see about finishing up old projects that I had his roadblocks on in the past. Learning RGSS2 as I go.

For The Order of the Marten, updated the screen size to better scale for modern displays, and had to go in and re-adjust all custom scenes and displays.

Also added the feature for skills that consume items to show the icon, name and current supply in the skill help window.

Also a ton of small battle updates.

Still on the list, and may bleed into July:
  • Modify battle processing window to show actor face bars instead of just the window mesages
  • add damage pops to actor face bars instead of showing as a text message
  • only show non-damage info texts on window
  • several small graphical fixes, guage sizes, skill select menu size/opacity changes

Spoiler for the planned battle processing update:
Annotation 2020-06-21 171104.png

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I figured, I share my tile making progress here a bit. Mostly for my own motivation/reflection.

Trying to make some pixel tiles in MV size, but in another style, slightly xp-ish/aveyond 2.
Right now it's closets and cupboards in several variations. I want to make a whole interior, but I can't seem to stop with those closets. NPCs don't need anything else in their houses, right?

In my mind I have 2 villages with distinct styles, so they have different closets with slightly different wood tones.

Kokoro Hane

Overly Ambitious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Finally getting back into using MV again! Working on a little pet project for a jam. It's almost due, but it seems I can manage a demo for the jam and have the full version done within a week after. I'm really excited, as a friend did the character art! Normally I rely on RTP, edits, or the generator.... but this will be my first RM game with original character art!

It's a silly game for "So Bad It's Good Jam" about a history fangirl that works as a caretaker at an elderly boarding house.

Attachments

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And there's nothing more annoying than discovering that mobile devices are shot due to something called CORS. (Not the beverage, but the security layer of your Internet session.) And as you can probably guess by their communist business model, Apple now enforces it to incompatible extremes (and this is even on iOS now). Sadly this means the unfortunate reality of having to cancel the mobile versions of my game without regard has sadly come to pass no matter what, especially now that WWDC 2020 has also deemphasized traditional game products anyway.

Obviously it remains to be seen as to how or even if MZ will be able to accommodate this development, but this is certainly not a promising sign. What's more is that without the resources to embed and setup an HTTP processing server (the only possible workaround that remains, since code bypass is unsurprisingly enforced by the compiler itself now!) I'm going to be hopelessly stuck due to the obvious limits of a one-man job. I'm disappointed of course, but there's nothing in the Apple playbook that can turn this around. It's basically dead, Jim.

In the meantime I have slightly reworked my prologue due to the mess resulting from the renewed push for the whole Black Lives Matter thing after what happened to George Floyd. More specifically is that I'm having to move away from using tribal references in favor of something that's a bit more relatable (though I'm not yet sure if this will also have to affect my character designs).

EDIT: I totally forgot to mention but I'm going to upload a hosted version of the game to replace the mobile release, though due to support requirements of the available indie game services that can support this I will have to completely abandon the use of a commercial sales model. (Although in my case I'd have an impractical prospect for doing so anyway.)

Last edited:

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh, I haven't posted to this kind of thread in a year at least, or more? Well, better late than never.

I've been quietly working away this month at creating facesets and character concepts. Took all month, but I have completed the first faceset of eight actors...actually, might do some minor edits later down the line. The eight ladies are all recruitable to the party. Next, I need to do either the men that are recruitable to the party ooooor...all those NPCs that are floating around in the starter village with no face.

Which also reminds me, I need to do custom sprites too. Goals for next month!

Actor1.png

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@Kokoro Hane
I like the bust! Fits together with the rtp nicely.

@Guardinthena
You have a very distinct style and I love the vibe of it. Nice colors and details.

My own progress:
Last week I made more closet variations, sideways, small closets, and glass doors. All with the same 2 bases. Doesn't look very impressive so empty, but I'm hoping they turn out okay when I fill them with various knicknacks.

Then I moved onto beds, made 3 single bed bases and then 4 beddings. Textiles are hard! It's much more time consuming than cupboards. I'm still not happy with the 4th blanket. Doublebed version done as well. Currently working on sideview versions.
I know riveting stuff. I'm not bothered yet on how everything will fit into a tileset, right now I wanna explore.
I will probably continue working on the beds this week, but the next plan is making kitchen counters.

CHKNRAVE

Surprisingly not sponsored by Yanfly.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Given that absolutely nobody is waiting for me to release a game, I made the decision to stop making to-do lists and just do whatever I want and whenever I want. That should help a lot against burning out.

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And once again my on/off pattern with mobile support is on the rebound. Following some research I have finally hit on a workaround for the enforced security that I previously wasn't aware of, and by consequence I'm finally able to get the Apple platform target back on the agenda. I have also used the time for adjustment of the warning system and testing the endgame sequence to account for the hidden final boss which unlocks the real ending. (I also changed the game somewhat to where I can set a flag which changes the damage behavior so that when set on certain enemies it will flash on damage instead of blinking which is meant to indicate the level of significance to the battle sequence.)

Kokoro Hane

Overly Ambitious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I am happy to say, as of yesterday, I managed to finish the jam edition of the game. It was a lot of fun to make and can't wait to release the full version next month, but gosh it feels so good to have released another RM game! I'm also happy how many compliments the voice acting has gotten from fellow jam devs.

Therefore, June goal CLEARED!

Joy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Got some more progress done on the battle system!

screen-0630-02.jpg
We've got a resized and more compact skill selection, with descriptions dynamically pulling in the required item names, icons and current quantity!

screen-0630-01.jpg

And I've got the battle message window resized along with an actor face bar for showing the current states on our party. The icons aren't updating yet, but that's the next step. I'll also be making the actors faces flash on enemy hit and the damage pop up on the actor face instead of the battle message window. Still some alignment tweaks to do as well.

And here is how I manage the tasks I'm tackling, just a simple task-board, which has my current punchlist going into July:
screen-0630-03.jpg

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I took my vacation from game deving starting last Monday (I do this like every summer for 2 weeks or so), so progress to report.

However, July starts now, and we will still use this thread, so post your July goals and progress as well.

CHKNRAVE

Surprisingly not sponsored by Yanfly.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just made the decision to put my big project on hold, because apparently new makers should start with small ones and I'm starting to agree.
But I'm not really a minimalist so I plan on making my new small project from A to Z. Maybe not the special effects, actually.
But the music, however. I picked up MuseScore an hour and a half ago, knowing what I want my main theme to be, and came up with this:

This may not look like much at all, but I'm actually surprised at how easily I ended up putting my vision into a sheet with no compromise. I can't even read this sheet, the biggest part of the surprise is that I don't even have any talent when it comes to music and I still made it work.
WARNING: Preview only.
Do not download, and do not use in your own work. No exceptions.
Thank you!
Open in Google Drive

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I want to finish the next two districts for Collector, but I highly doubt they will be finished within a month. They are the East Harbor and Silicon Road.

The East Harbor is a bit farther along in development. It will have a variety of interesting places, including a source of black market cyberware. The East Harbor is east of the East District (what a surprise, right?)

Silicon Road is still in early development stages, but it will include the headquarters of the Flatheads Gang. "Flats" are the street name for chipware. The Flatheads specialize in custom chipware not purchasable through other means.

I have been working on version 0.0.5 which I could technically release today, but it only has a few changes. I'll probably wait until it has more content before releasing.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Wow, it's been a while since I last commented here :aswt:

My goals for this month:
- Learn Effekseer and enter the contest. I've been going through the tutorials, currently halfway there.
- Learn Ruby (or at least try). I keep starting this codeacademy course and then get stuck/forget to complete it, so hopefully this latest attempt will go better. (Doubtful.)
- Brainstorm an idea for MZ.
- Continue working on my main game.

Progress this weekend:
- More playtesting. The issue with weirdly formatted text was still prevalent in 60% of the cases, so I went ahead and fixed it yet again. Should be good now 99% of the time.
- Debugged the Goldilocks cutscenes. All move routes work and the text looks fine. (Still need to do some small fixes to make it look a bit better, but it's been 8 hours so calling it quits for today xD.)
- Implemented Zeriab's caterpillar script after all other caterpillar scripts failed to work with my currents scripts. Much time was lost and I'm pretty sure I aged a few years trying to figure everything out.
- Backed my project up, because that's what all smart girls (and boys) do. ;)

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Goals for July? Hmm...

* Create sprites for actors using Hiddenone's Hine Sprites, already started for one of them
* Edit existing Hine Sprite Horse for more wildlife
* Create major map locations for main storyline (note to self, get out of main starting village!)
* General graphic cleanup on edited or created pieces (a seemingly non-ending quest, SEE BELOW)

I've done some minor work this month already. Almost as soon as I bought FSM tilesets I got to work on creating turf roofs for the starting village. Simple enough, but I never finalized my edits. Finally took care of that today. Cleaned up the roofs for the side house, edited/frankenstiened the roof window hatches, and hacked the gondola boat for the decorative roof pieces.

With those little visuals finished I feel it moves me one little step closer to feeling secure that the starting village/maps are nearing completion and that I can safely move on to the next location. Maybe focusing so intently on one set of maps seems strange, but I suppose my fear is creating a ton of maps, all with fixes that need tweaking visually that will drown me in time. So, focusing on these things one at a time, before I move to the next major map, feels liberating to me.

Kuldahar Village.PNG

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@slimmmeiske2
Effekseer and ruby in one month? I would probably concentrate on only one of them. But it sounds like you are doing vital playtesting and bugfixing in your game, so that's good progress :LZSsmile:

So, another monday, another update, I have stopped working on the beds for now. Sideview single and double beds are mostly done, but double still without beddings. Only after making all sideview versions I noticed that they were way too long for the sprites (even for my taller MV+ sprites which I use as a reference size). I had to redo everything. On the positive side, I created a kid sized bed, too.

I felt I made enough progress there, although I'm still struggling with the beddings, but I need to move on and come back later to it with fresh eyes.
I'm currently working on kitchen counters. I have planned four different versions, but I don't know, if the scope isn't too ambitious. After the counters, I will probably do stoves and fireplaces.

My plan for the whole July? Hard to say, but I hope, I will get finished with all indoor essentials for the 2 villages.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

We are truly intellectuals.
Without using violence without weapons
Our group has as many as 1.3 million people and more than 1 hundred thousand talks.
We gathered in an hour, more than 4.5 Half a hundred thousand

I got a Sword.
I got an Axe.
I got two Swords.
Nothing to see here, just walking with my dog.
I haven’t worked on my game in a while. Tomorrow might be the day.
*squeals* :kaoblush:

I've been experimenting with improved memory management again, which allowed me to include items to increase player path length. These are both 44 grid spaces long, and stable. :LZSexcite:
I FINALLY DID IT! 5 years making my very first game and I just officially released it on STEAM..... OMG..... I can say I finished a game! The feelings!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akasheee