October Goals and Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bgillisp, Sep 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello all, and welcome to the October Goals and Progress thread. Post on here your goals as well as your progress for the month of October.

And if anyone has a banner they wish to submit for this month, please let me know.

Chiara and Marquise* like this.
  2. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, this is a little cheap, but here I go.
    Full test and deploy to the community Events MV in October.
    I am working on it, there is a lot of work to do, but hopefully it will worth the effort.

Chiara, HawkZombie and Marquise* like this.
  3. taarna23

taarna23 Marshmallow Princess Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Assemble at least two tilesets to the specifications I require and give some Javascript I've been working on a more stringent test (pending a fix of the current bug, anyway).

4. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    My goal is to do something RPGM related this month because I am turning crazy here with my invaders and all.
    (Happy my feline pride is so supportive.)

5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    And after a dreadful 2 months (from a game making perspective) when I could do almost nothing, I return to the fold.

My goals:
    • Continue editing the tile set for the next location and make the extras I shall need.
    • Map it.
    • Create the enemies in the data base.

Finnuval, Chiara, Marquise* and 2 others like this.
  6. HawkZombie

HawkZombie Lord of Shadow Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Things have been getting better and better as far as my streaming, and I've begun my own game development as well! And by begun I mean I've started working on a script again. For the 5th time. :kaoswt:

MY GOALS:
    • Find a way to stream more (more a schedule fix than an actual goal)
    • Get at least two review videos done for the month. Three would be ideal (I'm open to suggestions for recent RPG Maker or Indie Games!) I review things that wouldn't normally get review videos
    • Get at least half of, if not all of, my game script done. Editing comes later xD
    • Maybe make a voice demo reel to get into voice acting for indie projects

7. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well... other than getting the bloody last part of the story for Immortal Sins finished, there isn't any goals at the moment. I have released a public preview to most of my mirrors (only the Microsoft Store doesn't have a preview channel at the moment). But I did release my compiler tool to the public (still rough at the edges but it's stable enough for production). Now, if I can think of good features for it.:2k31:

Current goals:
    -Finish at least two episodes for the second part.
    -Get the compiler tool to R1.00.

Progress Report #1:
    Immortal Sins:
    -Got the Animated Sideview Battlers working (with help).
    [​IMG]
    -Got the first episode of the second part drafted.
    -Waiting for feedback...

RPG Maker MV Cook Tool:
    -Released it to the public.
    -Wrote the tutorial for it.
    -Drafts the code for parallel compiling again.
    -Figuring out a way to fix the lockup when compiling.

Batrider:
    -Made a few NPCs.

Misc:
    -Figure out how MSIX works. Since it coming for older Windows as well, I may use the same package I use on the Microsoft Store (less work for me :rhappy:). And it has native support for patches as well.

8. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Goals:
    -Find an intern or clone so I can get my RL stuff done so I can game make.

Ok, in all seriousness, October is looking like a wash to me, I got about 3 things I have to knock out before I can put major time into the game again. November is probably lost too as well as one of those tasks will take most of a month if not more. I will try to do little fixes on the game though as time permits.

As for the Strategy Guide, it does detail out how to get through the plot now. It needs little tweaks now, and the areas showing how to find all the Secret Rooms and such needs to be added. Again, deferred until RL slows down some.

9. GoodSelf

GoodSelf Zhu Li! Do the thing! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My goal for October is almost complete! Release the demo for The Archaeologist! Also having Drifty do a video this month and I'm super excited! Hope to have you all download and try my game :)

10. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Lots of motivation and other good things to everyone!

My goal for October is pretty much the same as last month: Try to work at least three days per week on my game.
    I'd also like to get back more into drawing, since this game will be somewhat visuals-heavy and it used to be a fun thing for me. On that note, I should also get back into writing prose, my dialogues and flavour texts tend to sound way better when I've been writing prose for a while.
    Oh, one thing, I really want to mostly finalize the layout of the one map and see if I can implement one idea I had.

11. XIIIthHarbinger

XIIIthHarbinger Part Time Super Villain Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This month I am going to take a different approach than what I've been doing the last few months.

Namely instead of constantly adding to my list each month, I am carrying over just the items I didn't complete from last month's list. As I keep passing up rebalancing my enemies, & building my enchantment system, in favor of whatever else I added to the list, to replace what I had completed.

So I am not adding new items until I take the time to get my enchantment system & enemies where they need to be so that I can start deploying them to my field maps as I had prior to the rebuild. After which I can go back to working on the terrain features & transfer points of the field maps, to start knitting my world together.

Goals for October:

Item 1) Build the enchantment system for Weapon & Armor customization.

a) Add enchantment components to random loot generation system, by populating the components that will provide runes & glyphs.

b) Update shop inventory system, by setting up the inventory for my enchanters, & adding a limited selection of runes & glyphs to "general merchants".

c) Create icons for Runes & Glyphs, add to updated iconset, integrate into database.

Item 2) Rebalance Enemy parameter curves in accordance with new player character rebalances.

Item 3) Begin creation of skill integrated & Troop based AI common events, for enhanced tactical operations by enemy warbands.

Item 4) Test of concept, battleback construction via map image from corresponding tileset.

Item 5) Test of concept, alternate battler composition, SVA sprites & modified visual encounter sprites.

Item 6) Further develop IP lore pages, on various topics.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Dreadshadow and Finnuval like this.
  12. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Good luck everyone!

I'm gonna jump back into to actual game dev this month, but I'll try to keep my goals relatively simple. I'm working with a team on a short-ish game so my goals are:
    • Write out how all the main battle events will work - We're having battles be more of puzzles than 'punch things in the face!' combat, so it'd be great if I could figure out how things will be interacting (and get it written down so I don't forget later:rswt)
    • Get the basic events to a functional state - Since I'm in charge of getting the battles working, I want to get a few demo battles set up so we can see what works and what needs to go back to the drawing board

13. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Well, it's been a while since I entered one of these. This month should be a bit quieter irl (although I am getting a new job at work) than last month, so fingers crossed for doing stuff.

Goals:
    • Make resources. I have a list of things to be made, now I just have to actually make/finish them :p
    • Cutscenes. Continue working on the main quest cutscenes for Bremen. I want to at least make the next two.
    • Add in NPC dialogue in Bremen.
    • Start on those profiles. I'll be using Moghunter's Gallery script, so I need to make images for them.

Dreadshadow, Finnuval and Marquise* like this.
  14. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Chiara I hope you get your drawing going again, because I really like what you do.
    @hiddenone Get a reputation for planning interesting battles like that and the world will beat a path to your door.

My update.
    The mere fact that I can do an update so soon is itself a cause for rejoicing. Did quite a bit of tile editing and they all worked first time on a test map, no endless tweaking of one pixel here and another there, or realigning something.

15. Soryuju

Soryuju Combat Balance Enthusiast Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I’ve been working on my combat system for months now, so my goal for October is basically to finish implementing the final major mechanics and start on class/ability/equipment design in earnest.

In order:

1. Finish implementing Status Ailments. Need to figure out how to remove the ailments with the most turns remaining first, and then how to make a certain DoT’s damage scale based on how many ailments the target has.

2. Finish my concepts for Items and Special Attacks, and then implement the base systems for each.

3. Finish my first 4 classes (Adventurer, Knight, Priest, Wizard), including all active abilities and their inherent passive abilities. If this goes well, I’ll also push to finish the next 2 classes (Thief and Chemist).

4. Design some basic equipment so I can start the preliminary tuning of stats and numbers.

5. Design at least 5 practice enemies and 1 practice boss. The enemies should include a balance of fast attackers, tanks, mages, and healers. The boss should either be 2 enemies you fight together or should regularly summon adds.

If I can get farther than that, I’ll continue working on class/enemy/skill design, and maybe start practicing my mapping.

Bonus Goal: Continue studying JavaScript. It takes patience to self-study when I know I could be building my game instead, but I also know my game will be better for it in the long run. My ambition is far greater than what I can currently deliver on, so there’s nothing to do but buckle down and improve my skills over time. It’s going to be a marathon.

16. Mrs_Allykat

Mrs_Allykat Failsauce Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My goals this month are really simple...

1. Finish the silly zombie side project - An action/arcade game done with RMMV. (Yes, it's that close.)

2. Laugh at the absurdity of the above project.

3. Get back to working on an RPG (Phobos).

17. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Finish my game jam entry in the next 10 or so days, spend the left over time polishing, removing assets not used and bug hunting AFTER deployment. Then sit back and profit. Jk. This is actually all predicated by a Dr appt in 2 days that will determine if I need to go buy a wheelchair or not.:headshake:

18. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Progress Report #2:

Immortal Sins:
    -Drafted a few scenes.

RPG Maker MV Cook Tool:
    -Polished the UI a bit. It shows which JS file is compiled. And the compilation goes faster now.
    [​IMG]

- This may be the most insane thing I made so far, but I made a .NET Core Console App version as well (after moving some of the code to a .NET Standard Library I made as well). That thing (speed wise) is a monster, if you give it a good computer (one with a workstation CPU or a Ryzen especially). That's due to a library in .NET that allows parallel loops (as in, each core handles a loop). That results in massive improvements in compilation times. I can't integrate it at the moment to the .NET Framework version (.NET Core and .NET Framework are different), since I need to read the command-line arguments right and the UI can only be accessed by one thread at a time. I'm thinking of ways to handle that, alongside providing the aforementioned command-line arguments.
    [​IMG]

Dreadshadow and Marquise* like this.
  19. Jhale M.

Jhale M. Goddess of health, purity and truth. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I finished up on my side project's demo (which was for a contest). Now time to work on the main project. I think my art skills have improved a lot as well as my comfort with RPG Maker and implementing things.
    My focus for my main project will probably be enemies first since the game has most of its complexity with regard to enemy encounters. I probably will get to work on battlebacks at the same time since it is a big thing to work on that is probably best started early.

20. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've been reaching all of my goals I set each month, I'm pretty happy about that!

This month it's all about setting up my Steam page.

Mrs_Allykat and Dreadshadow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.