October Goals and Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bgillisp, Sep 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seryphi

seryphi Spoonie Artist Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My goal for the month is to finish my main horror game project for Halloween! I'm so close, I have the maps and most of the mechanics done. It's a very small game.
    Granted it's also a game where I kill most of my boyfriends like one of those vintage movie widows with the fluffy robes and pearls and 'oh, I'm so sad, I simply cannot BELIEVE my 40385th husband died of mysterious but completely natural causes' ... For some reason they all think this is hilarious and want their own copies when I finish.

Dreadshadow and Marquise* like this.
  2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Some solid goals being set. Good luck everyone.

My update:
    Had enough of doing tiles, so switched to doing a couple of SV animated enemy battlers. As I'm using Ace, I have 4 frames of animation. I can't help wondering why that got dropped to 3 for MV.

Dreadshadow, Chiara and Marquise* like this.
  3. Davekron

Davekron The Emperor's Archon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Back in July I promised a demo version (it is a standalone part of the story now) of my project... and it's still about to come, but if everything goes well, I will have it done by the end of October.
    Beside that, my main goal is to finish all primary characters and their abilities. It is more challenging than I expected due to the balancing issues ;)

4. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This week's progress!
    • a tiny first sketch and some research for my main character's clothing. Ned's wearing contemporary-ish civilian's clothing (it's actually his day off), which is a bit of a challenge to me. Like, making it look contemporary-ish, and good, and fitting with his character? I'm more used to just making stuff up, or designing based on historical stuff, so this is something new
    I know I worked on my game three days this week again, but I only remember those two things.

Dreadshadow, Marquise* and Kes like this.
  5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Chiara Great that you were able to work 3 days on the game this week. I'm thinking of following your lead and having my goals broken down into weekly ones.

My update:
    Struggled to find time, and then it was more on the SV enemy battlers. Tried doing a blinking Intro post (for MV users, you don't have that one) and after 2 hours or more, decided that it really didn't work. Tinkered around with other stuff.

Big decision looming. I have always given the player the choice between on-map and random enemies, but I'm questioning whether I have to time to do the extra work involved. It makes determining exactly what's going to be in the particular battles so much more tricky, and if I want a variety of encounters with somewhat different difficulty levels, and therefore exp etc., it makes balancing a total nightmare, as random is, well, random. But on the other hand, I know that there are still a lot of players who prefer them. So, decisions, decisions.

Dreadshadow and Chiara like this.
  6. Soryuju

Soryuju Combat Balance Enthusiast Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Most of this week went into sorting out my concepts for items and special moves in my game. Heavy conceptual weeks sometimes frustrate me because I can’t see much tangible progress, and it makes me feel like I’m back to the days of just dreaming about my game again. They usually end up being worthwhile, though, since they let me work more efficiently later.

So as for what got done:

Items: Gone! For now, at least. They’ve ceased to fit with my game as it’s evolved, so out they go. Instead, each character will be able to access some very basic support commands under certain circumstances (such as a revive skill) so you’re not just screwed if your healer dies.

Special Moves: Most of this week went into figuring these guys out, and I scrapped four different concepts before finally combining pieces from two of them into something that made a lot of sense. I‘ll spare people all the gritty details, but suffice to say the new system reinforces existing mechanics in my combat and is much simpler than what I’d planned previously. Simpler for the players, but also for me - what I ended up with was much more straightforward to implement than the vague system I’d been planning before. It was up and running within a couple hours.

In that same vein, I’ve also just generally been re-examining the complexity and clarity of my game mechanics this week. In working on my project, I’ve consistently found that the simplest solutions are often the best. Many of the biggest coding headaches and mechanics issues stem from concepts which just got way too technical over time. So if I learn to be ruthless in cutting down on all the details and exceptions and other fluff in my systems, hopefully everyone will win in the end.

7. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Week report:
    I finished those two cutscenes I wanted to do. I'll see if I'll do more later on. But for now I kind of consider that goal done.
    I made some changes to the book background I'm using on the profile script (and hopefully in the future in other menus as well).
    Currently working on resources. They're coming along fine, can't show anything yet though. You'll see them soon enough ;)

8. XIIIthHarbinger

XIIIthHarbinger Part Time Super Villain Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Update # 1 for October.

Let's see so far this month is going rather well.

Completing my "Lore World Map", has made working on the various word documents I am using to keep track of world lore much easier. Not to mention provided me with a great deal of data to translate into text, in said word documents. For example how many square kilometers a given continental landmass has, approximately how long in kilometers a given river is, what the dominant biome is on each of the various thirty eight islands scattered around the world are, etcetera, etcetera.

Of course that means I have to do the math for all of that, as well as quit procrastinating & take the time to name EVERYTHING so that I can apply those names uniformly to all data point entries.

I've also been finally building my enchantments system using Yanfly's attachable augments plugin. So far I have just shy of one hundred & fifty various "Runes" with which to augment weapons, staves, helmets, gauntlets, greaves, armor, & shields; which should provide a decent amount of customization to compliment the player being able to choose what skills their characters learn, & their parameters evolving based on how they play them. Not to mention integrating it into my rotating shop inventory system, & random loot generator system. Most of which I'll hopefully finish up this week.

Of course I still need to create the various icons, I am thinking of using various colored spheres over layed with an alternate alphabet perhaps Theban or Futhark.

Item 1) Build the enchantment system for Weapon & Armor customization. W.I.P.

a) Add enchantment components to random loot generation system, by populating the components that will provide runes & glyphs. W.I.P.

b) Update shop inventory system, by setting up the inventory for my enchanters, & adding a limited selection of runes & glyphs to "general merchants". W.I.P.

c) Create icons for Runes & Glyphs, add to updated iconset, integrate into database.

Item 2) Rebalance Enemy parameter curves in accordance with new player character rebalances.

Item 3) Begin creation of skill integrated & Troop based AI common events, for enhanced tactical operations by enemy warbands.

Item 4) Test of concept, battleback construction via map image from corresponding tileset.

Item 5) Test of concept, alternate battler composition, SVA sprites & modified visual encounter sprites.

Item 6) Further develop IP lore pages, on various topics. W.I.P.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Dreadshadow and Finnuval like this.
  9. sleepy_sealion

sleepy_sealion Need to work harder! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My October goal is to set up and find out how to build/use character bases so I can work on overworld npcs.

Dreadshadow, Marquise* and Finnuval like this.
  10. Nicke

Nicke Fortune seeker Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My goal for this month is to actually complete one game! I hope I have the time to do it! It is a good thing to setup some deadline I think. Hopefully I can manage it :)

Dreadshadow, Marquise* and Finnuval like this.
  11. BK-tdm

BK-tdm Manga Maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I just have 2 side projects i fiddle with for the time being, mostly to really see what can be really done with MV and how far can i go making my own assets.
    For project 1:
    1. Finish making custom weapon skills.
    2. Finish the first big city hub.
    3. Balance damage formulas.
    For project 2:
    1. Finish the Kirin SV battler (and maybe post it here).
    2. Finish the Forest&Hills map.
    3. Start with the crafting system.
    4. test and decide a battle system.
    Ill keep it short but i always go on tangents and end up making assets for something i NEED at that time and day goes by on that (= ω=)U

Edit: Also update my profile and info here, still new (= ω=)7

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  12. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This month (and the next two) are all about real life. Lots of birthdays etc. Comming up and involving stuff at my Kid's school.
    Goal for october: try to visit the forum when I can and do some writing on lore and characters and not get mad as a hatter in the progress :dizzy::D

Dreadshadow, Soryuju and BK-tdm like this.
  13. rpgdreamer

rpgdreamer His Royal Highness Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, for progress, I revamped my main character entirely! Looks, personality, everything. The demo I made showed how strong of a character I could make (the MC of the demo is in the main game, but not the main character), and in comparison, while I was writing the script, the protag felt flat. After thinking on it, I brainstormed with my partner and we came up with a better character together. So that was fun. I then had to go and update ALL my banners/icons/thumbnails, so that took a bit, but it ended up looking WAY better in the end. My skills have improved since March! So that's good.

Some goals:

- Finalize the game mechanics I want. I know a lot of is is scripting and I have no idea how to do that, but I'm trying to save some money so I can put up an ad in the classified section. But, I also wonder if my idea is possible... so I might ask about that in the forums... because I don't want to set up an impossible task, hahaha.
    - At least finish 1/5 of the main script. It's divided into four "bosses" and then the finale. I have a separate doc for side quests but that's kinda updated whenever I get a good idea.
    - Maps??? I'm not making maps yet. But I have a drawn grid that divides up the entire forest (the game takes place in one location, and looks like it's gonna be 30 maps big). But I haven finished designing them all yet. You should see how they look, like child scribbles, but it gets the job done, hahaha.

The first two are top priority, but I'm hoping I can squeeze in the last one!

Dreadshadow, Marquise* and Soryuju like this.
  14. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I doubt I get anything done today as I'm pretty low on energy ever since yesterday, so this is this week's progress:
    • actually did more drawings (not pertaining to my project but my adjacent goal of drawing at all)
    • made a decent sketch of Ned in casual clothes based on last week's very rough scribbles
    • one day later, because why not, I grabbed some very old drawings of him and drew his 18-year-old self next to it. Its only purpose is to amuse me, otherwise I would've fixed the design because it was made by 18-year-old me
    Sketch is inside the spoiler:
    [​IMG]
    I had a reference for the overall pose, except the torso. And the arms. Don't ask me what's going on with his hand.
    For his younger version, I used the same basic body, but made it skinnier (mostly because it's only nowadays that he's getting regular meals and exercise).

15. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    My goal for the month is creating and testing a shield surfing minigame in the vein of Legolas:
    [​IMG]
    Here is a first simple mock-up:

16. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I actually got a little work done this weekend. Here's my progress even though I didn't set any goals:

-Fired up the next project and entered in the database numbers for the classes. Now we got 16 classes instead of the 10 we had in The Book of Shadows, but each class has less skills. Should be less double up in the end.
    -Went through The Book of Shadows and made a loot table so I knew what you could find in what areas. Did that for Chapter 1 and the first half of Chapter 2. Also fixed a couple little typos on the loot that had slipped through the cracks (things like it saying the wrong G you found as I entered 1212 instead of 1211 into the field).

17. Soryuju

Soryuju Combat Balance Enthusiast Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Been continuing to polish and implement my combat and class mechanics this week, and I got a fair amount done.

Oddly, what I’m most excited about this time isn’t a feature of my project, but rather, an easy new work system I’ve developed to help track my progress and improve my productivity. Basically, I’m writing “patch notes” for everything I do and then saving it in a Notepad document inside my game’s project folder. I started with a series of goals I wanted to accomplish this “patch,” and as I achieved each goal, I deleted it and rewrote it in a formatted list of patch notes. Once I’ve achieved all of the goals for the patch, I’ll back the project up and then start a new Notepad for the next version.

This helps in a number of ways. For one, it’s nice having a readily-accessible list of goals which I can update as I go. When I start a session or after I finish a task, I can take a moment to update the notes with my progress, quickly remember the next task I need to work on, and add any small new tasks I’ve thought of to the version goals. This helps me to keep focused and keep track of the most pressing issues I need to address.

The system also helps break down the work into concrete chunks. Rather than worrying about finishing my entire combat system or all of the classes in the game, I can outline a distinct end point for the patch in advance and feel happy when I reach that point. Being able to watch the list of goals gradually shrink while the list of achievements gradually grows is very satisfying. And if I’m in a slump, I can do something small like adjusting skill costs to pad the notes and create the illusion that I’ve been significantly productive. Formatting it all like actual patch notes you see from major online games (bullet points, divided by categories, etc.) also makes me feel a bit more like a real developer.

Finally, it reminds me to back my project up regularly, and in the event that I do lose data, I’ll have a clear list of all the things I need to redo (so long as the project folder remains accessible). Hopefully I won’t have to rely on this often, but the peace of mind is nice.

As for my actual progress this week...well, here are the notes for this patch so far!

Patch v0.05 Notes:

General:
    - KO state now removed after each battle.
    - Hime targeting plugins removed and Yanfly Selection Control enabled.
    - Yanfly Weapon Unleash enabled.
    - Reworked Awakening mechanics, removed Overdrive, and fixed an SP regeneration bug.
    - Removed the "Fast Advance" and "Fast Retreat" skills from all actors.
    - Added the "Frontline" "Midline" and "Backline" skills to all actors under the Move command.
    - The Haste state now allows an actor to move freely to any row when active.
    - Adjusted the Slow status to work properly with new movement commands.
    - Removed redundant Knockback and Pull states.
    - Split Root into two states - one with a 1-round duration to follow Knockback/Pull, and one with a 2-round duration for normal Roots.
    - Updated Root Setup state to be applied on Action Start after a Knockback/Pull.
    - Adjusted all control effects to properly remove Awakening.
    - Implemented Common Events for AoE control skills.

Battle Commands:
    - Attack is now visible but disabled on the Backline.
    - Guard is now visible but disabled on the Frontline.
    - All references to Overdrive removed.
    - Class skills are now visible on the Backline without using Awakening, but only Backline-specific skills are enabled.
    - The Move command is now visible but disabled when Rooted.

Animations:
    - Burn State
    - Warm Wind
    - Shield Bash
    - Heavy Smash
    - Magnetic Armor
    - Gravity Well
    - Elemental Missile LV1 (Earth, Fire, Air, Water, Light, Dark)

Classes:

Adventurer:
    - Wish cost increased to 40 SP.
    - Awakening: Warm Wind implemented.

Knight:
    - Shield Bash set to only target the enemy Frontline.
    - Heavy Smash cost reduced to 20 SP.
    - Adjusted Protector's Aura to redirect 50% of each attack's total damage to the user (no reduction).
    - Awakening: Magnetic Armor implemented.

Priest:
    - Heal & Cleanse costs reduced to 20 SP.
    - Holy Bolt now applies Slow for 3 rounds instead of 2 and can score critical hits.

Wizard:
    - Removed the TP cost on the Elemental Magic LV1 Skill Category.
    - Offensive spells can now score critical hits.
    - Gravity Well implemented.
    - Energy Burst cost reduced to 20 SP.
    - Basic version of Rune Missile implemented (along with all elemental variants).

---

I probably won't post these every time, since most of it just reads like gibberish, but I wanted to share just this once.

Lastly, my progress this month is making me reconsider my planned Chemist class. My original inspirations were Final Fantasy Tactics' Chemist class and the Bravely Default series' item-using classes (specifically Salve-Maker and Patissier), and the aim was to create an off-healer which could pair well a wide range of classes. However, consumable items have currently been removed from my project, the strain of implementing and balancing mixing mechanics is daunting, and potential heal-stacking issues are creating obstacles for my skill design. Given all that, I feel like I'm not going to be able to achieve either the simple effectiveness of either FFT's Chemist or the powerful flexibility of the Bravely item users. Moreover, I feel as though the fantasy of the Chemist/Alchemist archetype has gotten lost over time in my design, and there just isn't much of a fun factor left. As such, it's in purgatory for now while I decide whether it's worth redesigning, or if it's better to just introduce a new class altogether.

This coming week is likely to be quite a bit busier than the last, but I'm hoping to get some more skill design done and then maybe try to work a little more on finishing my last couple of status ailment mechanics. The latter requires some unfamiliar JS, though, so whether I'll finish that is still a question mark.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    Dreadshadow, Marquise* and Chiara like this.
  18. Countyoungblood

Countyoungblood Sleeping Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I plan to finish floor 1 of my dungeon which involves maybe 10 monsters and a few treasures.

19. XIIIthHarbinger

XIIIthHarbinger Part Time Super Villain Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Update # 2 for October.

This week has been fairly productive.

Finished up integrating the enchantment components into my shop rotating inventory system, & integrated them into my random loot generation system. Then started working on some placeholder graphics to integrate into my icon set, until I decide what to use for the final version.

Aside from that I am trying to fill out as more lore page entries as I can. Though I still have a bit of data to translate over from my "lore world map", & an absurd number of things to name. I am hoping to have a minimal "world atlas" completed by the end of the month, that I can use as reference material when writing "lore books", character dialogues, & other materials. To make my world feel more, "solid" for lack of a better word.

As I would prefer to instead of using common to our world terms & phrasing to express ideas, use original terms & phrases rooted in what would be expected cultural concepts in that world. I always find it rather jarring when someone writes in modern slang into a world that is a wholly different time period, world, culture, etcetera.

Item 1) Build the enchantment system for Weapon & Armor customization. W.I.P.

a) Add enchantment components to random loot generation system, by populating the components that will provide runes & glyphs. COMPLETED.

b) Update shop inventory system, by setting up the inventory for my enchanters, & adding a limited selection of runes & glyphs to "general merchants". COMPLETED.

c) Create icons for Runes & Glyphs, add to updated iconset, integrate into database. W.I.P.

Item 2) Rebalance Enemy parameter curves in accordance with new player character rebalances.

Item 3) Begin creation of skill integrated & Troop based AI common events, for enhanced tactical operations by enemy warbands.

Item 4) Test of concept, battleback construction via map image from corresponding tileset.

Item 5) Test of concept, alternate battler composition, SVA sprites & modified visual encounter sprites.

Item 6) Further develop IP lore pages, on various topics. W.I.P.

Dreadshadow likes this.
  20. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Bam! Got my goal done, game jam entry done. Unless another IGMC springs up, I am done with game jams for the year.
    Zu05Kn.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.