October Goals and Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bgillisp, Sep 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    99% of the Events MV is over.
    The rest 1% is being done at the moment, playtesting a packed deployment of the game to see if it works properly.
    If everything goes fine, soon the community will get the game tutorial sequel of Events, for RPG Maker MV.
    I consider my goal 100% completed already and I am glad I made it.
    Soon there will be a tutorial game post on the forum, as long as nothing is broken.
    See you soon, I am gonna also measure the time needed to finish it.

EDIT:

It's finally over!!!
    After four crashes fixed, it worked perfectly from start to finish.
    Hoping I missed no typos and have no mistakes in use of English (I will have for sure) but hope dies last.
    Uploading a beta in a zip form to pass from a beta tester.

My goal is reached.
    Soon I will share it with all of you people.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  2. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This week's progress:
    Not much, due to many appointments and other energy-draining things.
    I wrote some prose to get into Ned's 'voice' again (or, at all, given that I haven't written him in English before). I fleshed him out a bit more, or more like, certain things about him and his life.

I have only one appointment next week, let's hope I get more done then.

Marquise*, Soryuju and Dreadshadow like this.
  3. Mrs_Allykat

Mrs_Allykat Failsauce Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    October update :p

1. Uploaded to Itch.io the finished silly zombie game ( Cats Vs. Zombies ).

2. I'm now laughing at myself for going with such a crazy idea to begin with! Is there things wrong with it? I'll start with the pretense... (insert anything that begins with "What is wrong with you for...?") I need to put a page up here too (I'm a lazy somebody).

2a) Made a page here too. RMW's Cat Vs. Zombies Page. (I'm still lazy)

3. Now back to my regularly scheduled gam-mak!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  4. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Everyone might want to alter their October goals: igmc Twitter just announced 15,000 usd igmc 2018 more info on the 26th

Marquise* and Dreadshadow like this.
  5. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Link to that announcement?

Marquise* likes this.
  6. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's on the Twitter
    Screenshot_20181021-152746_Twitter.jpg

7. Soryuju

Soryuju Combat Balance Enthusiast Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Chiara Hang in there! Taking care of the other obligations cluttering your schedule will help clear your head whenever you have time to focus on designing again.

For my progress this week, a lot of time went into figuring out how to get the AI to cooperate with my combat system, and fixing the numerous bugs which came from that. Testing AI in different combat systems has proven to be one of the more stressful parts of design for me so far. I spend weeks designing and implementing systems, trying to anticipate problems and tune them for maximum player convenience. But then after all that time, I can count on the AI either ignoring my systems or just straight up breaking them, and I have to wonder the entire time I’m bug fixing if I’m going to have to start again from scratch, just because the computer isn’t getting it.

Fortunately, I’ve cleared the initial hurdles this week, though not without some trouble. I found out that Yanfly’s AI Core doesn’t play nicely with any Custom Requirements from the Skill Core (at least in my game). It will crash any time an AI condition is met for a skill which doesn’t currently meet its Custom Requirement, even if there were other valid actions it could have taken that turn instead. Figuring that out and redesigning some systems to accommodate that little quirk ate up a significant chunk of time. But the end result is a Bat which can move backwards and forwards to different rows while following the same rules as players, and which recognizes when it’s been hit with an effect which stops it from moving. Hopefully I can work up to some more complicated enemies now that I have a better understanding of how the AI reads my system.

Other tasks this week were pretty scattered. I laid out a little more of my lore and finished a preliminary class concept for my Necromancer, an aggressive party healer who specializes in status ailment manipulation. I’ve got most of the preliminary skill design for my 4 initial classes finished at this point, along with placeholder animations. And lastly, I finally sat down and brushed up on the 20 pages of JavaScript notes I copied last month, in hopes that I can start to study it more seriously again in the coming weeks.

This week I’d like to try designing a few more enemies and study a little more JS. I’m not sure I’ll get as far as tuning enemy stats and balancing them (especially since I’m bound to find more bugs along the way), but I want to get more working enemy templates so I can lay the foundations for some fun battles.

Chiara and Dreadshadow like this.
  8. FluffexStudios

FluffexStudios Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Marquise* and Chiara like this.
  9. XIIIthHarbinger

XIIIthHarbinger Part Time Super Villain Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Update # 3 for October.

A decent amount of work on my lore pages done, I've almost completed my "Atlas" word doc; I just need to finish coming up with names for things like various Islands, mountains, rivers, lakes, etcetera. As well as area calculations in square kilometers.

Now I need to utilize those data points in my "Races", "Religions", & "Politics" documents; they're actually a bit easier to write in some respects when you can approximate down to the one hundred kilometer range various points on a map relative position to each other, along with having a visual representation of the general area. I also need to further develop the various religious mythos & metaphysical concepts of the magic systems; because obviously religious beliefs & how magic actually works in the world is going to rather substantially impact how societies interact with each other.

I've also finished up a placeholder set of icon pieces for my Runes, until I figure out what writing system I am going to use to mark the various Rune types; & integrated them into the database. Which essentially renders my enchantment system fully functional save for some minor cosmetics.

So for the rest of the month, I am just going to focus on lore pages, & working on enemies & troops.

Item 1) Build the enchantment system for Weapon & Armor customization. COMPLETED.

a) Add enchantment components to random loot generation system, by populating the components that will provide runes & glyphs. COMPLETED.

b) Update shop inventory system, by setting up the inventory for my enchanters, & adding a limited selection of runes & glyphs to "general merchants". COMPLETED.

c) Create icons for Runes & Glyphs, add to updated iconset, integrate into database. COMPLETED.

Item 2) Rebalance Enemy parameter curves in accordance with new player character rebalances.

Item 3) Begin creation of skill integrated & Troop based AI common events, for enhanced tactical operations by enemy warbands.

Item 4) Test of concept, battleback construction via map image from corresponding tileset.

Item 5) Test of concept, alternate battler composition, SVA sprites & modified visual encounter sprites.

Item 6) Further develop IP lore pages, on various topics. W.I.P.

10. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Thanks to @Dreadshadow I finally DID one RPGM related game~! In the mist oft the highest of my battle vs the IRL bugs!

Chiara and OnslaughtSupply like this.
  11. bigcalsworld

bigcalsworld Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Avoided opening RPG Maker for over a month, but getting back into it again now :p. Last time I had it open I'd finally set up all the cutscenes for the start of the game, made the different classes, gave them all a unique weapon and skill, set up the first couple of quests, set the dialogue to be slightly different depending on the gender the player picks for their character, and I FINALLY thought "hey, this might be ready to send out to a few friends as a demo". But before I did that I decided to play through it myself to check for any major bugs. Aaaaand there were bugs and errors EVERYWHERE lol. The main one was that 2 of the 4 class types couldn't deal with the first enemies in the game without dying over and over again, and I just couldn't seem to find the right balance so they weren't TOO easy for the other two classes but could still actually be defeated by the 2 that were struggling to begin with. So I gave up for a month.

Now I've gotten back into the swing of things, I did another play test with 1 class type and wrote down any errors and bugs, found a bunch (dialogue not changing depending on gender, wrong avatar showing up, quests not activating in the right places etc etc) and fixed em. Even attempted to tackle the enemy situation and I'm ALMOST there. A little more tweaking and hopefully I'll be able to send a demo to friends in the next week or so :D.

Marquise* likes this.
  12. lianderson

lianderson Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Halfway done on a procedural dungeon system.[​IMG]
    If everything goes smoothly, which it has so far, the game will have at least 50 more dungeons to explore for the dec update.

Marquise* likes this.
  13. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello everyone! With the IGMC announced and starting Monday, I started the November thread already. Feel free to move over to that now if you wish, or you can wait until October is over.

Marquise* likes this.
  14. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Just realized I wanted to try my NaNoWriMo :p I have to try something. ^^

15. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    October Progress Update:

-Added 12 of the classes to the next project. 4 to go. Also started adding weapons and armor so they can actually equip something. So far I've got the swords, clothes, and shoes set up.
    -Checked Loot Distribution for The Book of Shadows for Chapter 5, made minor changes.
    -Made some changes to how SP is handled late game.
    -Added a fullscreen++ script. I see little changes myself between that and the normal, though F5 is faster for converting to fullscreen than the default Alt+Enter.
    -Added a mouse support script. I used to have it in the game but took it out while in development.
    -Investigated how to give players the option to turn the mouse on or off. Looks like I'll have to do some tweaking to Yanfly's Option Menu to pull this off
    -Started brainstorming IGMC ideas. Pondering between entering that or a different jam myself.

Marquise* likes this.
  16. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Progress update:
    • organized my notes a bit better (they were all over the place)
    Didn't get the layout done that I wanted to do originally, but there's always a next month for that, I guess.

Marquise* likes this.
  17. Davekron

Davekron The Emperor's Archon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Weekly goal done: I finally managed to find out how to make the perfect set items for each characters, so I'm proud of myself now ;)
    TEA62.jpg

Marquise* likes this.
  18. XIIIthHarbinger

XIIIthHarbinger Part Time Super Villain Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Update # 4 for October.

All & all this month was worked out fairly well. I didn't get as much done as I wanted on my enemies & lore pages, but anything less than completion was going to be less than what I wanted.

I finally got around to experimenting with two test of concepts that I had been debating for a few months, but hadn't taken the time to try out until now. Namely, I wanted to try a different potential set up for battlers & battlebacks. Personally I like side view setup because it makes the battles seem more active, but I REALLY don't like the chibi style battlers created by the generator, when set against the drastically different styles of the battlers I use.

So, since I was already using visual encounters I decided I would try using modified version of the walking sprites as side view battlers instead, & build sprite sheets with those, to create a more animated enemy, that was closer in visual style to the side view characters created by the generators. & then to compliment that, use the tilesets I've built by combining default assets, DLCs, as well as some personal modifications to build battlebacks that more directly correspond to the terrain the player is on; without causing the usual problems direct battler sprite overlays of whatever happened to be on the screen at the moment.

The results? Honestly, it was rather disappointing. I was hoping to replace the more clean aesthetic but static style of the forward facing battle system I am currently using, with a more dynamic & retro style side view battling, more akin to say some of the old Heroes of Might & Magic games. However, unless I actually build legitimate battler sprites, rather than sprite sheets built from modified walking sprites, it just doesn't come together like I want.

So making those, will have to be something that is the focus of the sequel's development, & I'll just have to move forward with what I have currently.

& I didn't start working on skill & troop common events to add AI complexity, because right now I am working on my animals & monsters. Those are going to be more applicable to humans, demi-humans, & undead. I am hoping to make fighting humans, demi-humans, & undead feel different than fighting monsters & animals. With the former feeling weaker but more tactical, & the later feeling less cunning & more "brute force" in their methods.

Mostly, I just want to make the AI feel, "smarter", for lack of a better word. To have groups work in tandem to amplify each others abilities, & to exploit player vulnerabilities. Somehow, I just know this is going to end up making balancing that much harder, because I am going to end up making something be in extreme need of nerfing.

Item 1) Build the enchantment system for Weapon & Armor customization. COMPLETED.

a) Add enchantment components to random loot generation system, by populating the components that will provide runes & glyphs. COMPLETED.

b) Update shop inventory system, by setting up the inventory for my enchanters, & adding a limited selection of runes & glyphs to "general merchants". COMPLETED.

c) Create icons for Runes & Glyphs, add to updated iconset, integrate into database. COMPLETED.

Item 2) Rebalance Enemy parameter curves in accordance with new player character rebalances. W.I.P.

Item 3) Begin creation of skill integrated & Troop based AI common events, for enhanced tactical operations by enemy warbands.

Item 4) Test of concept, battleback construction via map image from corresponding tileset. COMPLETED.

Item 5) Test of concept, alternate battler composition, SVA sprites & modified visual encounter sprites. COMPLETED.

Item 6) Further develop IP lore pages, on various topics. W.I.P.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.