October Goals and Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bgillisp, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Well, since I saw no bugs here (but DC has an eye sick -kinda how cats catch colds-), I jumped on the occasion to continue my kitty face sets.

Here (not resized... Might become busts some day)
    FXCalicoDrama.png
    Was my latest.

Chiara and Lemonrice like this.
  2. Lihinel

Lihinel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Didn't even come close to making progress with my battle system.
    Only got the basics for camera, input and parts of the interfac done.
    Working on the greenhouse right now, hope to finish it within the month.

Marquise* likes this.
  3. Lemonrice

Lemonrice Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay I did not plan to already add the battle system but since it's of such great importance to the game, I decided to implement and test it now. Took me two days to even understand how the plugin works but i just fought my first Action battle!! I am so excited I'm literally hopping on my chair :kaoblush:it still needs a bit of cleaning even for the prototype before I can post a new version but I'm so happy I needed to share this.

Marquise* and Starbird_Resources like this.
  4. BreakerZero

BreakerZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    While last month I canned my project in its existing form I have been in the process of exploring alternate ideas and have been changing asset utilization, moving back to the default battle system (which I think actually works better for me anyway) and experimenting with new presentation elements ahead of any potential trade, partnership, hand-off and/or a total relaunch (if not any combination thereof). In the process of all these changes I realized that there was one thing I didn't initially consider at the time of my original concept: a proper chain of events in the world inhabited by the two unlikely heroes prior to being split out into the void and onto an entirely different level of (literal) existence. After analyzing the potential for ideas with assets and designs from available materials (including the MV and VXAce template maps) I decided that instead of simply leaving it to forces deep within the core of the destination world I'd go with a full-blown analytical disaster and have the party leaders spring their part of the existential collision off a chain reaction which comes as the unanticipated result of subjecting a rather curious object to a request for substance analysis that completely backfires, resulting in a situation comparable to the Black Mesa incident from Half-Life.

Also part of this interim plan is cleaning up, optimizing and reworking assets where obvious improvements can be made (for instance, I have just finished updating the audio loop for the Moonlight Sonata implementation so that it's a bit more seamless, among other presentation and functional changes).

Marquise* likes this.
  5. woop

woop Freelance Illustrator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've been having bi-monthly meetings with my partner and its really helped our motivation to work on the game.

I'm hoping to complete our night/day mechanic and design all of the night time battlebacks/tilesets before our next meeting.

Marquise* likes this.
  6. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I got Biker Baker playable from start to finish, and so far my testers didn't find any game-breaking bugs! :kaojoy: I assume the bugs are just waiting for me to say the game is finished, but it's still nice to not have to fix any big issues. I did hear that the font I picked was hard to read though, so I'm swapping back to something a lot easier on the eyes.

Marquise*, Ryisunique and Lemonrice like this.
  7. CynicSyndrome

CynicSyndrome Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Made definite progress today and yesterday. On track to finish on time!

Marquise* likes this.
  8. Lihinel

Lihinel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Farming bros before superior hoes, amiright?
    [​IMG]

Things are looking good so far, got the tool selection menu done.

Lemonrice and Marquise* like this.
  9. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Update for the Last week:
    -Got an LPer (Hawkzombie) to play my game. We now got 6 hours of LP from another that you can watch.
    -Finished the interior zones of the town for Shipwrecked.
    -Mapped the route the party is going to take to get into the castle. Seems the front door is a bad idea (sure, let's just knock on the bad guy's door. Hello! Heroes here! Can we come in?), so we'll have to slip in another way.
    -Added the facesets to the game, added them to some of the dialogue now
    -Figured out where the Secret Rooms are going to go. Seems this game will have 16 of them, unless a new zone gets added or something.

Lemonrice and Marquise* like this.
  10. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Lihinel That's a cool looking menu, but the "plough up at most 9 fields" part reads oddly to me. I think "plow up to 9 fields" would work better... Though the spelling change is just my personal preference. :rswt
    @bgillisp Is the party going to slip in through a castle side door, or have they found a more interesting way to get in?

I can call Biker Baker finished! :kaopride: I fixed up some minor problems and didn't notice any big bugs, so now I can safely say I finished one of my goals. I also opened Reincarnation Assistant up...

And realized that I didn't properly document how I was doing things.
    :95:
    So now I've got to decide whether to read through all my events and relearn everything, or just remake the mechanics. Both will probably take the same amount of time, so I'll take a few days to decide which would be best in the long run.
    At this point I should also really consider finding some partners-in-crime for this project. ^^;

Lemonrice, Lihinel and Marquise* like this.
  11. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I should really start working on the final part of the game soon so that I can test it again and release it right at the end of the month or so. XD

Marquise* likes this.
  12. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @hiddenone : Side door. After going through the hedge maze though.

13. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @Lihinel Aww I wish I was so cunning. Beautyusefull!

Got some Inktober stuff done for other's chars in RPGM ^^ as the bugs clears up. Will photoshop paint them later on.
    DriverSama.png

One last maybe then spaceships stuff ^^

Lemonrice and Lihinel like this.
  14. Lihinel

Lihinel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    @hiddenone Yeah, I already changed it to 2 sentences while making the descriptions for all the tools coherent.
    The new version is: "Used to plough up fields or patches of grass. Can be used on 9 fields at a time."
    That should be less awkward, though let me know if I am still missing something.

Marquise* likes this.
  15. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Another set of ideas while I plan for my alternative concept. I'm tempted to replay everything from the beginning even though it means an elevated risk of missing the 30 year mark, but it may be an inevitable consequence because:
    1. Collection and continuance. I have decided to count the number of wipeouts both in the opening missions and the level staging, with a full report immediately after the end roll to see how you did (also including discovery rate and clear time).
    2. Balance issues. I totally overdid it with the XP rate which means that I already have to replay large portions of the game no matter what happens with the rest of my work on this.
    In addition to these two problem points I also have a number of plot details that could use some rewriting and/or improvements, some of which are basically inevitable at this point due to a major change in the opening setup. I may also end up using the opportunity to improve how my transport skill implementation works, as right now it only supports checkpoint recall (as opposed to a more general recollection of where you have been).

Marquise* likes this.
  16. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Err, gonna go ahead and post this in the right progress thread this time, because I guess reading is hard for me. :D Thanks for the heads up, @bgillisp

- - -

Lately I've been spending too much time making crap that only serves to add fluff to my project--a Lufia-style "Forfeit Isle" shop was my latest time-waster. With October's end coming soon, I'll make my goal simple: Finish (well, start and finish) the mountain pass "dungeon" that takes the players to the frozen north region of the world map.

- So far, all I have is...the first map, where the players can (if far enough along in the story event chain) acquire the necessary equipment to travel through the rest of the pass without getting frozen and/or damaged each turn in battle. It's a sort of soft roadblock concept that I figured I'd try out. (the player is sufficiently warned before heading into areas with this effect in it)

Marquise* likes this.
  17. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You're not the only one who did that recently. Someone actually posted to the March discussion with completely unrelated information, probably without paying attention to what they were doing. As for the extent of my own development progress, I have completed another major change in the course of rewriting early plot material, with even more rewriting to come in due course.

EDIT: I should also mention that I have dropped plans for a Mac version of the game should I eventually release it because testing against x64 nwjs and investigating alternatives to OpenGL are obviously beyond the average indie development capacity and budget issues.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Marquise* likes this.
  18. l8rose

l8rose Neeeeerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So haven't posted on here in a few months but figured I'd post with my plans for the rest of this month and possibly next month (cause lord knows I'm not good with keeping things updated on here).

Finish the simple reading game I'm making for my girls.
    Currently finishing up the collecting letters portion of the game and starting the more complicated puzzles now.
    Need to finish two maps and redo a third for it as well as design a better opening.

Earlier in the year (yeah, I'm really slacking on updates), I started combining my other two games into one. Which has now resulted in me scrapping what I was doing to start them from mostly scratch in a new project (way too many conflicts with variables and switches). Thankfully, most of the maps are done and I can just transfer them over.
    That's the goal for after I finish the reading game.

Marquise* likes this.
  19. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    10.25 Update:
    -Mapped the rest of the caves, and added the monsters and treasure.
    -Did a proper test of the town map, fixed bugs.
    -Added monsters to the first area of the final region of the game.

Marquise* likes this.
  20. Lihinel

Lihinel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Finished the greenhouse:

(Well, still have to make sprites & database entries for more plants, but thats minor work compared to getting the plugin up and running)
    Now I either take a break or start working on the barn for the last days of the month.

Marquise* likes this.