Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

iWLRanT.png

I thought I would get this up before I go to bed tonight. I'll make it pretty (spooky?) tomorrow.

Anyone got any special game dev plans for Halloween?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
And I can be first in, from a totally different time zone, because of insomnia.

I've got no special dev plans for Halloween, that would be a 100% diversion from what I'm doing, or rather, trying to do. 

Goals

I'm keeping this fairly low key this month, as I shall be away for a full week without my laptop.

• Finish mapping the town our heroes have reached, including interiors.  That's actually quite a few maps
  • Map the location of a side quest; that'll only be 2 or 3 maps in all.
  • A couple of cut scenes and loads of eventing.

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I got special dev plans for Halloween; I'm making a retro Halloween game that's a throwback to early rpgs. I was partly inspired by Makio-Kuta's and Racheal's Halloween Bash and Flop games.

So my Major goal for the month is to finish the project in time for a Halloween release. Next current goal on the project will be to work on the third part of the game. Game will essentially be Four parts and a final dungeon area.

Lantiz

PunyMagus
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Other
I'm finishing a roguelike combat system, the combat is already functional just need to add gold, drop, exp gains.

it's working with default RPG Maker database settings but I'm not sure if I'm going to implement effects managent, it looks too complex :s

Maybe this option becomes part of my goal.

Another Ned

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
October will be an interesting month for me this year, as I am finally preparing for a move! You read right, we finally found a place after two and a half years of not having one (funnily enough, it's an echo of my past: As a kid, I already moved from the Black Forest to Eastern Frisia and now I'm doing it again. Does that mean I'll get back to Berlin in a few years? xD)! Stuff has been signed so I'm almost sure this time will work (even though finances are a problem as of yet). Still wary, though, since it's been too many times we almost got a place and then it didn't work out after all now. ._. Fingers crossed?

This also means I won't be applying for a master's program after all, since there won't be any time and/or energy and/or money for it, but there's always next year. 

So, only small goals for this month:

• Redo the super sloppy placeholder intro and figure out how to do it without the boss battle getting overrun by bugs
  • bonus points for sketches/early designs for non-tile graphical things (I need a break from making tiles, I've spent two whole months with those xD)
  • Nice To Have: if I manage to make the intro nice and playable, find someone or more to play the intro and give me feedback (that's probably more something for next month or the one after, though, depending on RL stuff)

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have a book that needs editing and its about 50% done now, so I think October will be very little progress. I'll plan to do one of the following:

-Finish bug testing and tweaking the demo, so the final demo version can go live. This requires me to finish up the lighting, any secret rooms I need, and I have to rebalance EXP drops by monsters. Also the final dungeon needs a redraw. And Elmwood needs NPC's. And...

-I have most of the NPC's made up for one of the Chapter 4 towns, so make that town final.

-Finish implementing Icetop Fortress and Dragonblast. Those are little towns the party can visit if they wish with a couple quests. I have them fully mapped, they just need NPC's.

-Implement the character scenes for Chapters 2 and 3. I got Chapter 2's done last month, just need to do Chapter 3 now.

I have a feeling it will be one of the bottom ones, as getting the final demo version to live status requires a lot, and probably more than I can do this month. That is, unless someone has a clone sitting somewhere that I can borrow.

Arithmetician

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
First, let's see how we did for last month's goals:

• Work out the nuances of a job system  - COMPLETE!
  • Create suitable protagonists and a rudimentary plot fitting for a job system  - Characters conceptualized, plot needs work
  • Create portraits and battle sprites for each character in each class using the generator. - 50%  But can be easily finished at the start of this month.

So, building upon that for October:

• Shift focus to developing characters more, with proper names, more detailed backstories and motivations, etc.  
  • Work out an overall plot in some detail
  • Implement the necessary plugins for a job system in the current project
  • Begin working out the damage formula as a starting point for balancing stats and skills
  • If the previous is done, start implementing each jobs's skills

Psykofreac

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hoping to make a short game that will be a stepping stone to an ambitious Strategy RPG project. First thing to do would be to try and get together a team so I can actually build the system for the project. I'm over at Project Recruitment by the way, it's about working on the ideal SRPG, maybe even yours too if you're interested, all you have to do is drop by. What is that? Too much self promotion? Well about that uh... Time to run. lolololololol

Mimironi

But what do I know?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Dont have any special halloween plans for gamedev, but I'm still quietly trucking along with my game. This month's all about customizing the HUD (Battle/Menu/Message box/etc.)

Arithmetician

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Got portraits and sprites for the third of four characters, the tsundere.

tsundere_faces.png

Top Row:  Freelancer, Warrior, Cleric, Chemist

Bottom Row: Mimic, Rogue, Hex, Ranger

Oops... it looks like we have a small error on the Chemist - we have glasses on top of the goggles.  Well, we'll fix that next time we're on MV.  It will be easy enough, and it's not worth redoing the whole post now.  The point is to show off the general look of the classes and character designs.

tsundere_walk copy.png

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hope everyone achieves their goals this month.

@Chiara Congrats on finding a place.

@Arithmetician Maybe this is nit-picking but perhaps consider also adjusting the mask on the mimic portrait so that it goes up farther to her forehead; the corresponding sprite seems to make it look like a full face mask.

Taking more of a break today from developing; been having some eye-strain issues in my left eye. Did draw up my map for the third part of my game on a piece of paper, spent some time deciding what I wanted to do here for that little "puzzle-like" element. Think I'm going to go with the player having to collect bits of a statue that functions as a special key to open a door. I want to incorporate the fact one of my characters is a Witch so I'm going to leave gaps in the floors that the player will have to fly across with a broom.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Time to get back into the game and be a part of this again.  Let's set some goals for the month!

• Make at least one new body type for my sprites
  • Set up sales page for the sprites
  • Finish that silly map tileset I started ages ago
  • Get the sales page up for that too
  • Finish my spacestation sidescroller tiles
  • Put that up for sale
  • Work every weekday on Pixel Myth or Tiny World

I have way too many "almost done" projects.  I need to start crossing things off the list and be done with it.

Another Ned

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Arithmetician: That character surprised me, but mostly because when I hear "tsundere" I have to think of my uncle who looks a little like Italian painter Giuseppe Cesari (who lived during the 16th/17th century). x"D

@Vox Novus: The broom part sounds fun. Take good care of your eye. D:

@Everyone else: Lots of energy, motivation and other things for your goals!

Progress, 02nd:

• completely rewrote the intro on paper, including squiggles in red telling me fun things like "Don't forget that switch!" and "do X instead"
  • while I was at it I also wrote the new version of the dialogue and found a better solution to some problems I had

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
*crosses fingers @Chiara *

(How comes the metatag don't work today)

Well my dev goals for Halloween....

NEW DRAGON... ack...

I'll try also to finish all the rest of the 3 $Evilgod's heads

All right IRL I also am making recycle paper mask and workshop too for a haunted house and...

watermark

Thinking of what to do next
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok I really got to beat this procrastination thing. Must. work. on. Demo!

Hoping to finally release something this October. Crossing fingers...

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Finish -- my -- stinking -- portraits! I have one but I need to colour my knight and my priestess, then redo the maid and a couple of main characters. Curse me and my ambitions for RTP free characters!

Arithmetician

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Chiara  The thinking behind that design was that a tsundere's mood runs between being aggressive/standoffish and caring/sweet, so I chose a contrasting color scheme (red hair, blue clothes), although often their harsher moods are more apparent at first, hence the frown.  Many well-known tsunderes are twin-tailed, so I incorporated that into her design, and the fact that the twintails in @hiddenone's extended generator come with flowers gave an opportunity to hint at her gentler and more nurturing side as well.  Since the behavior of many tsunderes is rooted in their insecurities, I gave her freckles and glasses, as these contribute to many people's insecurities about their appearance.    Her personality is also reflected in her job options; she'll be quick to hex you if angered, but she'll also be there to heal your wounds when you need it.

@HexMozart88  I certainly have respect for you trying to make portraits by yourself.  I'm just sticking with the RTP generator, with hidden one's extensions, because I don't have that much time / am doing the game just for fun.

Mimironi

But what do I know?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Arithmetician ooo nice i like her, especially how you gave her freckles/glasses.

@Vox Novus careful with your eyeee. Flying across areas as a witch sounds fun.

@Sharm good luck! I also have too many things that I'm almost/sorta done with, unfortunately...

@Chiara nice, finding the solutions to the problems. Writing your intro on paper huh? Maybe i should do that for some of my stuff.

@Marquise* you get to work on a haunted house? Have fun

@watermark i can relate with the procrastinationnn :/

@HexMozart88 achh good luck with those portraits, im working on some too.

I realized that the character portraits I was working on were taking too long to complete, so i scrapped them and started sketching out newer ones.

I've got almost every character's sketches done.

www.GIFCreator.me_xKwbuz.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Turning a specific vibe into reality is incredibly difficult. For instance, this song is one of the ones I listen to when working on my post apocalyptic project, and getting it's "feeling" into the game has been a real challenge.

I don't just wanna regurgitate the numbers I see, I wanna actually understand the calculations I'm making so I'm probably gonna make a post later with some calculations and what I THINK they mean to get some advice and corrections.

Edit: All (Most) of these will be tested in game prior. I just wanna make sure I understand what's going on under the hood if you will.
my girlfriend calls all my little chibi art cute lol... funny considering that wasn't the original art style of the game.
100 problems in RMMZ 100 more problems take one down pass it around 101 Problems in RMMZ
Made some progress on my game, mostly mapping. Learned quite a bit in the process!.

M6eUoTT.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beyondbasic