Freelance Illustrator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

SYNOPSIS

Odicia follows the journey of a fire mage named Eyala Troy, as she and her comrades set out on a dangerous quest to bring an end to the Kingdom of Valhara’s corrupt crusade to cleanse the world of mysterious mystical beings known as Scions.

Created by illustrators Oliver Hamlin (woop) and Cameron Lee (eelmac), Odicia at its heart is a love letter to the classic JRPGs, shonen manga, and various other cartoons and video games that have inspired their imaginations since childhood. Through retro-inspired visuals, music, and gameplay, Odicia immerses players in a nostalgic experience that evokes the feeling of playing an RPG classic on the consoles of old.

FEATURES
Original Visual Assets
  • No default or premade RTP! Custom made, retro-inspired sprites, tilesets and animations.
Engaging Exploration
  • Travel through a variety of dungeons that encourage player exploration. Utilize each character’s unique Field Abilities to solve puzzles and discover secrets!
On-screen Enemy Encounters
  • No random encounters while exploring dungeons! Engage enemies through direct contact. Ambush enemy units by approaching from behind.
Turn-based Combat System
  • Use a character’s Rage and Will to unleash skills, magic, and fury upon the enemy! You decide which abilities each character takes into battle.
Fun and Diverse Characters
  • Recruit nine permanent playable party members, each with their own unique set of skills and magic.
Original Music
  • Soundtrack and sound effects composed by Lil Kevo 303.

SCREENSHOTS

DEMO

LINKS
Instagram - @odiciagame https://www.instagram.com/odiciagame/
Twitter - @odicia https://twitter.com/odicia
Tumblr - odiciagame.tumblr.com https://odiciagame.tumblr.com

Webcomic Instagram - @odiciacomic https://www.instagram.com/odiciacomic/
Musician’s Website - Lil Kevo 303 http://lilkevo303.wtf/

Last edited:

Starmage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
FIlipino
Primarily Uses
N/A
Wow! I soo love the graphics! You have an interesting project and I would love to try this out! ❤✨

Rose Guardian

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I am impressed with this game so far. However the battle with Captian Milius I think it was is too hard. As soon as I get his HP down low he gets me. I suggest letting the other two members stay in the party when you fight him if possible. Other than that I really like this game. The graphics are really nice. I like the originality.

woop

Freelance Illustrator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The graphic is awesome
Thank you!

Will give it a try :) report if needed for feedbacks and/or bugs
Thank you, we would really appreciate that!

Wow! I soo love the graphics! You have an interesting project and I would love to try this out! ❤✨
Thank you, I'm eager to see what you all think!

I am impressed with this game so far. However the battle with Captian Milius I think it was is too hard. As soon as I get his HP down low he gets me. I suggest letting the other two members stay in the party when you fight him if possible. Other than that I really like this game. The graphics are really nice. I like the originality.
Thanks for playing and thanks for the feedback! We'll take another look at the Captain Mullins boss fight, we felt he was too easy in earlier builds of the game, so we did try to make him a bit tougher.

Starmage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
FIlipino
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello! I just played until the first map/forest... And I'll be back for more after I'm done finishing some household stuff. xD :D

So far... What a great intro sequence you have with this game! <3 :D I am in love with the clean eventing and the sound-effects used along with 'em! Seriously, it's giving me both FF6 and Undertale vibes in terms of graphics and sound design, and it's amazing. ^_^ The dream sequence was very mysterious and the way you evented things has really captured and hooked me immediately. I also love the way the credits part rolled! That was a sweet touch! :D ^_^

Can't wait to play more later tonight! <3

Starmage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
FIlipino
Primarily Uses
N/A
Alright, so I finished the demo! And wow! :o This is the sort of Retro RPG I love! <3 Everything you did; from the battles, sprites, maps, music, animations, enemy sprites and etc. I just loved 'em all! The action sequences were pretty epic! And the battles were very fluid and well-balanced. Gameplay is just very fun, and nothing felt out of place. I love the idea of having WILL and RAGE as your charges for certain skill use. RAGE when full, allows you to use a special skill and I'm all for it. xD I was only able to get Eyala with full RAGE, and her laser beam attack was epic. :D Not to mention, their "cast" anims rocks! :D I also notice that sweet little detail on enemy battlers when their low on health, where they look weary and stuff haha! What a cool and cute touch! <3 I also love the twist with mimic treasures, where instead of getting a full-on monster treasure, you get bandits hiding inside trying to steal your gold away. xD :D I also noticed that you can break vases, so that was pretty cool. (Just a question though, are vases meant to return on the map after a few seconds waiting on the menu?) I'm a big fan of the map interactions you made like the "Field Action" feature, where Eyala can use her fire spells to lit torches and stuff. Reminds me so much of Wild Arms 2 on my PS1 days. xD The map designs are also very nice as you get bushes that slow you down, trees where you can discover secret areas, and many more.

Lore-wise, I loved the idea of Fire Mages needing external source to use fire, except for Eyala of course, as she seems to come from a special tribe who can do fire without needing an external source of fire. I also thought it was cool you put tutorial stuff on libraries/books around the maps.

I also believe that there were other ways to get past the soldier guarding the temple, but I didn't have eye-drops, so I said "screw it! We're the resistance!" lol! But I think that's a really cool feature to have... Giving a choice if you wanna fight or bribe soldiers.

I don't wanna spoil too much, but it felt satisfying destroying that guy after what he did to the poor Scion. >.<

All in all:

- Great graphics... Retro pixel used in such a cool modernized way. Feels like FF6 all over again. The face-sets also had that GBA Fire Emblem feel to them, which was nice.
- Skill and Item animations were superb! (I also found the Lure/Taunt anims quite cool and funny.)
- Gameplay was fun and balanced and really gets you to use some strats when it comes to bosses.
- The story is really interesting, and the characters are enjoyable and hookable enough to make you curious of what's to come.
- The music was really fun and engaging! Tbh, some retro-styled music hurts my head in a weird low-frequency way, but the music you used was very fun and exciting! I especially loved the victory theme.
- Presentation and eventing were once again superb! The move routes, on-map animations and etc. (I love the way that Scion creature summoned a torrent of water.)

I normally give suggestions on where you can improve upon, but so far in this alpha demo, I have nothing. And I feel like everything fits well together as they are. xD :D Wishing you the best on this game's completion! <3

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the game is nice, just a minor error on game over "odica87.ogg" not found.
(I die on purpose because of low health) just to see the game over screen,
but nothing special on it "yet".

I try to beat the demo to give full report. Keep up the nice work though.

woop

Freelance Illustrator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Detailed review
Thank you for playing and we're so delighted that you enjoyed our demo!

the game is nice, just a minor error on game over "odica87.ogg" not found.
(I die on purpose because of low health) just to see the game over screen,
but nothing special on it "yet".

I try to beat the demo to give full report. Keep up the nice work though.
Thank you for letting us know! I uploaded a fixed version to the itch website.

leusyth

goblin in your pantry
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This looks incredible! Definitely going to try it out.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I compleeted the Demo, nice story, but so far 1 minor issue, which is the tree.
if you go and see the sign: the path is overgrowed, but still walkable (close to this)
you see the top part of the actors head nad isn't hidden.

I dont see any use of coins yet, but the battles are pretty nice done.
(I dont do grammar part or pay attention to this), but I'm pretty good in getting bugs
and or glitches (even hard breaking the game), which I didn't do, just a normal run.

game play is nice, although, I saw something familair that is in Golden Sun, that you can
glide from the cliff (the shape at least). further more, I hope the challenge behind this
will be better in the next chapter, to think more, for puzzle solving parts.

I'm curious where this story goes though. if you need full bug test run, speedrun,
etc, I will break your game where possible and report back :)

(I hope you can handle critism in its kind :)
I'm not good in mapping or story, but I can give feedback to make some things better,
this way, I hope I can create my own nice maps (even though, problems persists) :p

job well done on this Demo, Looking forward to chapter 2+.

woop

Freelance Illustrator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I compleeted the Demo, nice story, but so far 1 minor issue, which is the tree.
if you go and see the sign: the path is overgrowed, but still walkable (close to this)
you see the top part of the actors head nad isn't hidden.

I dont see any use of coins yet, but the battles are pretty nice done.
(I dont do grammar part or pay attention to this), but I'm pretty good in getting bugs
and or glitches (even hard breaking the game), which I didn't do, just a normal run.

game play is nice, although, I saw something familair that is in Golden Sun, that you can
glide from the cliff (the shape at least). further more, I hope the challenge behind this
will be better in the next chapter, to think more, for puzzle solving parts.

I'm curious where this story goes though. if you need full bug test run, speedrun,
etc, I will break your game where possible and report back :)

(I hope you can handle critism in its kind :)
I'm not good in mapping or story, but I can give feedback to make some things better,
this way, I hope I can create my own nice maps (even though, problems persists) :p

job well done on this Demo, Looking forward to chapter 2+.
Thank you for playing!

For the overgrown path, we actually liked how the heads were just peaking above, and we thought it helped let the player know where they are in the maze.

Yes! Golden Sun was an inspiration for some parts of Odicia, and we'll be adding more puzzle solving parts as you progress.

We really appreciate your feedback! We like to hear what everyone's opinions are!

Lornsteyn

Sleepy Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Just finished the demo, great game.
Im curious how the story will go on.

Also the pixelart is amazing.
Seeing such awesome stuff keeps me motivated practicing pixelart myself.

Only negative point, I think the colors are a bit too bright, probaby just the grass, my eyes hurt after a while.

Kaimi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I finished the demo and I am really in awe how much originality is there. The graphics are great (although that grass is tad too bright for me) and those animations... sweet!

Well, on the surface the story uses a lot of clichés (it's quite impossible to have a story without them I'm afraid ;) ), but it's all done in quite an entertaining way.

Aside of that grass, I feel the need to complain about the opening: the girl just wakes up with no parents at home, goes outside and there's snow there which is weird (for her), she then heads to the temple and some mumbo-jumbo happens and... that's that.
I'd like to suggest to work on that opening more; the first thing that comes to my mind is Tales of Berseria where its heroine experiences great pain from the loss of her family, but the difference between Odicia and Berseria is that Berseria dedicates like an hour to show the player around her home village, the relationships she has with the villagers and her family and provides a bit of background info into storybuilding; the final part of that prologue is a life-changing event that defines her future and choices she makes in that future. Right now in Odicia you have that "final part of that prologue", but lacking an impact on the player; the current prologue just leaves a player more confused than engaged in the story. A good idea would be allowing the player to explore the town during what appears are its "final days", showing the player a bit of the town's surroundings and relationships that Eyala had there. Put some info on that empire and about the town's people who appear to be natural pyromancers. That way you'll gently break the ice between the player and the story.
And yeah, I just remembered it's supposed to be a dream sequence, but still... A (bit) more complex opening will certainly do wonders IMO.

ADMtn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Great job!

Art
Best thing about the demo is the art. The tileset is done well and consistent, looking like something from the Gameboy Color era.

The enemy battlers are good, but I particularly like the animals (the Valharan soldiers may be the weak one of the bunch). The player character battlers are good with a clear Final Fantasy look (wouldn't be surprised if you used FFVI sprites as prototypes).

Animations are nice and solid with good attention to detail (although it threw me off a bit seeing Fodder's gigantic knife embedded in his victims).

In the prologue, I detect some possible Kingdom Hearts influence with the darkness and stained glass. It looks nice, for sure, but I'm wondering if that aesthetic will be recurring throughout the game rather than a one-time nod towards KH.

Mapping
To go with the great tileset, the demo also showcases good mapping. You don't always see good mapping along with good custom tilesets. It's great that your tileset isn't wasted on bad mapping.

I also appreciate the hidden paths which still make sense (a small path through the trees as opposed to a wall that the player can inexplicably walkthrough). It's too bad the MV engine's click-to-move interface makes it too easy to nagivate hidden paths. Not too much you can do about that, though.

Music and Sound
The sound is definitely retro. Sounds like it was straight out of an NES or early SNES game. It's good.

The music is enjoyable. It's pleasant and not distracting, which is what you want with RPG tracks you'll have to hear over and over.

Gameplay
The gameplay is solid. It makes good use of the engine and plugins. Use of plugins seem more deliberate than in some other games where it seems people are implementing features to test the plugin rather than carefully choosing which plugins work for their game.

Narration and Story
Obviously, this is only the start of the game and the demo itself makes it clear that things are subject to change. With that acknowledgment, I have to say that the start of the game falls into two major cliches that I'm not fond of: the story starting with the character waking up, and the dream sequence.

General advice says having a character wake up to start your narration is a wasted opportunity. Almost any other way of starting is probably more exciting. Ironically, Chrono Trigger, one of my favorite JRPGs of all time does it poorly. I have to say, it's only half-interesting by the time Crono gets to the fair. It doesn't get truly interesting until after the incident with Lucca's machine. Luckily, the rest of the game is amazing. Earthbound might be an exception, but the game is super silly and having Ness wake up in pajamas with bedhair is somehow hilarious and appropriate. For Odicia, having young Eyala wake up doesn't seem to do much for the narration (could skip the waking up and just have her looking for her parents immediately, maybe).

The dream sequence here also happens to be a flashback. Again, going with general advice, prologues, flashbacks, and dream sequences should be used carefully because they tend to cause delays in momentum. You go one way, and then the momentum is halted. The narration either changes direction by suddenly having you switch gears (with a different character, different story arc, or different place in time) or, worse yet, the narration basically says, "Hey, this part is a dream and doesn't really matter except for the one symbol we're trying to get across." In the case with Odicia, the dream is actually the protagonist's childhood memory, so it's not as bad as a simple dream with vague symbolism. However, as it is, I feel like the flashback/prologue was more to showcase a nice visual trick (the hallway being swallowed by darkness--which was awesome, by the way) but didn't really drive the narration as well as simply starting with the resistance characters in the middle of their operation.

The story itself is fine. Classic as advertised, feeling like a properly used trope (as opposed to feeling cliched). The trope allows the player to know what to expect playing the full game, dealing with the non-spiritual bad guys and protecting the spiritual (of course, they probably also expect some story twists).

The dialogue is written well. Aside from the instances where the characters are forced to explain game mechanics, the dialogue comes off as natural.

Miscellaneous Game Design Stuff
Personally, I prefer tutorial information to be presented by the game itself rather than creating contrived dialogue to have characters explain things. Of course, the ideal is for characters to explain game mechanics in a way that feels natural, but that tends to be impossible when you have a complicated game. I can see the effort in this demo to make it work. However, I'd rather have a box of text where the game quickly explains how things work to move on ASAP (as opposed to several lines of stilted dialogue taking an inordinate amount of time to explain a simple feature).

It seemed odd that the old guy completely restores your team's health and will but he collapses from his own wounds. I suppose he could be using up his own energy to help you out (which didn't seem necessary for me, as I still had plenty of health and will to spare after the preceding fight). In the same line of thought, it was kind of funny for Cannon and Fodder to hand you a bunch of healing items while standing over the old guy lying on the floor. I suppose it's one of those video game moments where you need to suspend your logic (even within the rules of the game, e.g., Final Fantasy games when a Phoenix Down simply doesn't work for plot purposes).

Finally, I hope you plan on changing Cannon and Fodder's names. Probably not to Biggs and Wedge, but Cannon and Fodder seem like placeholder names. The "joke" of their names is only funny for a third of a second. Of course, this is subjective. Maybe other players will laugh every time they see or think of it.

To wrap things up, this demo shows a lot of talent and promise for your little team, particularly in the art, natural-feeling dialogue, and general polish for mapping and gameplay mechanics.

Last edited:

deficiencyproductionz

Deficiency Productionz
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm all over this aesthetic-- I'll definitely try it when I get a chance and give you some feedback.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

There once was a man whose name was my own
Who tried to make games for console and phone
But after ten years
Some blood sweat and tears
Weird status updates were all that he'd shown.....
I go out once every two weeks. My bf works full-time. Why is it only ever me getting sick? T_T
I've been debating on this as the title screen for a while now...
Ami
--- Dialog Filter ---

Gunner: Yo! my ****** friend?
Hero: Uhh,what happen with your mouth?
Gunner: Huh? what ****** happen with my mouth? i just speech as usual.
Hero: But,your mouth are like the garbage!
Gunner: Hey,what the **** are you say? you want the piece of **** with my ****** Gun!
(Meanwhile,The Dialog Filter In The Option Is Off)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenerezu