First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

Custom Font Message Plugin v1.2.0
by Open Digital World

ODW_CustomFontMessage_0.gif

Introduction
This plugin allows you to use custom fonts to your game and use them to change the appearance of text in messages displayed.

Important: This plugin is an add-on of the plugin "Gabe MZ - Custom Font Loader" which you can get here: GabeMZ_CustomFontLoader.js.

Features
  • Use custom fonts in messages, choices and scrolling texts.
  • Adjust the text size, the text color, or the size and color of the text outline.
  • Change all these text parameters in one command, or combine them at will.

How to Use
1. Put your custom fonts in the /fonts folder of the game project.
2. Configure the plugin "Gabe MZ - Custom Font Loader".
3. Use the following plugin commands in your game before calling the commands "Show Text", "Show Choices" or "Scroll Text" in an event:
  • <Reset Custom Font>: Restore the default font settings.
  • <Use Custom Font>: Replace the default font settings with your own.
    • <Font Name>: the name you used to declare the font.
    • <Font Size>: the size of the text.
    • <Font Color>: the color of the text.
    • <Font Outline Color>: the color of the text outline.
    • <Font Outline Width>: the width of the text outline.
  • <Use Custom Font Name>: Replace the default font by one of your custom fonts.
    • <Font Name>: the name you used to declare the font.
    • <Reset Before Change>: the command to reset the custom font settings before applying this change.
  • <Use Custom Font Size>: Replace the default font size.
    • <Font Size>: the size of the text.
    • <Reset Before Change>: the command to reset the custom font settings before applying this change.
  • <Use Custom Font Color>: Replace the default font color.
    • <Font Color>: the color of the text.
  • <Use Custom Font Outline>: Replace the default font outline color and size.
    • <Font Outline Color>: the color of the text outline.
    • <Font Outline Width>: the width of the text outline.

ODW_CustomFontMessage_1.pngODW_CustomFontMessage_2.pngODW_CustomFontMessage_3.pngODW_CustomFontMessage_4.pngODW_CustomFontMessage_5.pngODW_CustomFontMessage_6.gif

Terms of Use
This plugin is published under License MIT.

Special Thanks
Thanks to @Gabe for making his plugin available to developers to allow the creation of addons.

Download Link
ODW_CustomFontMessage.js (itch.io)

Update Log
v1.0.0 - 23.09.2021
- Initial release.
v1.1.0 - 26.09.2021
- Added support for choices and scroll text.
v1.2.0 - 05.10.2021
- Added support for text color and outline.
- Added new plugin commands to specifically change the font, size, color or outline of text.

Last edited:

r66r

Fantasy dreamer... sometimes.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Update v1.1.0 - 26.09.2021

Added support for choices and scrolling text, for more consistency in message display.

Choices before update:
ODW_CustomFontMessage_5a.png

Choices after update:
ODW_CustomFontMessage_5b.png

Scroll text:
ODW_CustomFontMessage_6.png

Happy RPG making! :ehappy:

Last edited:

r66r

Fantasy dreamer... sometimes.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Update v1.2.0 - 05.10.2021

This new version has some great improvements that will make life easier for game makers (I hope so anyway). :ewink:

Added support for text color and outline

Now you can also change the color of the text, as well as the size and color of its outline. Useful if you want to highlight certain discussions between actors... or adapt the outline for small texts.

ODW_CustomFontMessage_4.png

Default outline:
OutlineBefore.png

Adjusted outline with this plugin:
OutlineAfter.png

Added new plugin commands to specifically change the font, size, color or outline of text.

Now, with these new commands, you can change only one of the parameters at a time, or combine them as you wish.

PluginCommands.png

Note about customizing text size and color

The use of the plugins' commands will change the entire text of the following message windows. However, it is still possible to change the size or color of a part of the text by using the usual escape codes.

ChangeInText0.png
ChangeInText1.png

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Ugh. The one time I forget to save every hour or so is also the day my computer crashes. That's life!
Even though I spent 100's of dollars on my game already. I think I might just have to give it away for free. Since I haven't heard back from people if I could use some of their graphics. Even from a global mod here. Maybe I can make a donation thing.
you know, some days you get resentful that game dev is even considered a "fun job" and other days it's like, welp, time to roll up my sleeves and code these molotov cocktails
If you suck at playing trumpets, that is probably why.
Been sick with a stomach virus for seven days now. Not going to work tomorrow because I'm still contagious according to my doctor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tamexe