RMMV Odyssey - Action Adventure RPG

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Ace of Spades, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Ace of Spades

Ace of Spades Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

SYNOPSIS
    A shipwrecked adventurer seeks shelter from the storm after their ship was struck by lightning. With no civilization in sight, the castaway climbed their way from the wreckage, only to stumble upon an ancient tomb. Venturing deep into the catacombs, the wanderer unwillingly releases a plume of darkness across the land. The once peaceful inhabitants of the island have become hostile and infected by the blight. Those who were fortunate enough to be left uncontaminated by the outbreak are too afraid to leave their homes.

It's up to you to find a way to reverse the damage you've done.
    Will you seek redemption?

FEATURES
    • Odyssey is an action-adventure RPG, inspired by the Legend of Zelda.
    • Run, jump, swim and climb on any surface, without restriction.
    • Action combat with a diverse set of enemies that require different tactics.
    • Wide variety of weapons and tools to use, each with their own unique functions.
    • Explore challenging dungeons that you can complete in any order.
    • Become more powerful by discovering hidden secrets and upgrades

SCREENSHOTS
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

VIDEOS

PROJECT SUMMARY
    • The project is currently in Beta right now. I appreciate all the feedback!
    • Keep in mind that what you see is subject to change.
    • Your feedback is valuable, and I'm open to critiques and suggestions. Please leave your comments below and I will do my best to get back to you!

CREDITS
    Altimit Community Contributors
    Brian Howard
    Chaucer
    Devidra
    DK
    DrDhoom
    Estriole
    Galv
    Hime
    Hudell
    Kath
    Kino
    Melosx
    Moghunter
    Mr Trivel
    Orochii Zouveleki
    Poryg
    Quixios
    SumRndmDde
    Szyu
    Tsukimi
    Victor Sant
    Xilefian
    Yanfly
    Avery
    MrPyramidHead
    PandaMaru
    whtdragon
    Matthew Pablo
    YouFulca

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019 at 1:12 PM
  2. SmashArtist

SmashArtist Lazy Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This looks really cool! Can't wait to try it out! :kaojoy:

3. NPX

NPX Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh, this looks smashing! So fluid and fast -- smooth gameplay like this is incredibly difficult to accomplish with MV. I assume it's all script-based, or have you evented the majority of it?

4. Leanne

Leanne Nyan Master Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog,English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    GORGEOUS!!! I agree with @NPX
    Smashing, slashing, shooting, running, jumping, swimming, NONE of them were laggy. WOW! *O*)b
    I hope to see more of this. >u<

5. Ace of Spades

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for the comments everyone! I appreciate the enthusiasm, it's nice to share my progress.

I'm using Altimit Pixel Movement [0.50β] plugin for the movement, which is the best pixel movement plugin I've found. Odyssey feels best when played with a controller plugged in; I like the precision you get from the analog stick.

Everything else you see, including the climbing, swimming, jumping and slashing, have all been custom coded in a single common event. Essentially, this one event acts as a state machine for the player. Based on which region the player is currently on, the event will dynamically change the player from climbing, swimming, etc, as well as check for player input for attacks and jumping.

6. NPX

NPX Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Actually, using terrain IDs makes sense. I just love the sense of freedom you get from the video -- too few games have such seamlessly active gameplay.

7. Kvothe

Kvothe The Bloodness Veteran

First Language:
    Brazil
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Good game :) I think that it is very fated to be a great game. I'll wait to play it :) If you need some help with designer, just send me a PM

8. dexni

dexni Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    are you using a plugin for the action battle system and if so witch one?

9. Ace of Spades

First Language:
    English
    No, the battle system isn't a plugin, most of it was done using events.

I just wanted to share some progress on some new areas and enemies I created. Everything you see is still a WIP and is subject to change, including the graphics. Any feedback is welcome!

Jayje, NPC and David Lister like this.
  10. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ok this looks awesome! only thing I can think of that I don't like is the MC moves to fast , other then that...great work

11. Ace of Spades

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for the feedback! The movement speed is the same as RMMV default run speed, so it might be faster than some people are used to. However, I think the quick movement speed is necessitated by the fast-paced action battle system and the platforming. Some of the boss encounters will have players dodging and jumping over multiple projectiles, so movement needs to feel responsive. There is also analog-movement while playing with a controller, which gives you full control over your character's movement speed.

JazzGotBlues and David Lister like this.
  12. kaiijuu

kaiijuu Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This looks like it's going to be very fun! It's definitely different for sure.

13. JazzGotBlues

JazzGotBlues Villager Member

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I actually agree, the fast movement makes the game not boring and feeling more alive.
    I love the custom tiles! The fact that you did all of this mostly trough eventing is amazing :o
    So you have a supporter!

just one question: All the Entities on the map seem to get destroyed in one hit (Mostly the enemies) Like even in early game I suggest you at least make them 2 hit or give them the ability to dodge attacks. As awesome the combat system looks, if you one hit everything it gets boring.

But then again, it's a question: So are all entities one hit? Or are you planning on changing that?

David Lister likes this.
  14. Ace of Spades

First Language:
    English
    Thank you everyone for the comments and feedback!
    Great question! The over-world is mostly a safe area for the player to learn and understand the mechanics of combat, which is why most of these enemies shown up to this point are easily dispatched. However, I agree that it's important for some enemies that take more hits than others. Based on your feedback, I will try testing the lizards in the sand area to be a 2-3 hit kill. Perhaps they will temporarily burrow underground again once they are hit, giving a cat-and-mouse dynamic.

I'll be focusing more on enemy design in the next few days. Other enemies I'll be prototyping include:

Oozing Slime that splits into two baby slimes when hit.
    Skeletons that lose their heads when you hit them, forcing the player to break the skull before it reattaches to the body.
    Jellyfish that can shock the player when hit with a melee weapon.
    Spikey Turtles that have hard shells and can't be harmed by sword and arrows; they will have to be blown up with bombs or pushed down a bottomless pit with the player's sword.

I'll try to post another video in the next few days once I've got a few more enemies working. :kaothx:

David Lister likes this.
  15. NPC

NPC Auteurist in this world Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Very cool! The mechanics look tight :)

It will be interesting to see the direction you take story and art wise!

16. David Lister

David Lister Composer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Looks fabulous! This is my kind of game. Optional secrets based on new items is a great idea!! I've used this concept in my game designs. I've heard some people complain about it, but I think it's an economical use of maps and a way to extend game play with existing assets. And with the fluid and high speed nature of the action (as opposed to the the original Zelda, for example), returning to previous visited locales shouldn't be too much of an imposition on the player (as long as the maps aren't too massive, requiring a long round trip).

Speaking of high speed action, I suspect you'll be swapping out the music for something more upbeat in the future - something that matches the high paced rhythm of the game showcased in the three videos you've posted. :) It's alpha - I get it. Looking forward to seeing more progress on this project. Great work and thanks for sharing!

17. definite_lee

definite_lee Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This looks awesome and I'm genuinely interested in it. Great work! Good luck

18. Ace of Spades

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for the feedback everyone!
    I'm keeping the scale of the project small for now, but the map can always be expanded later once the other systems are in place. The overworld is currently composed of 25 maps, on a 5x5 grid. Each map is only 40x30 and the maps can be easily traversed. I originally started by play-testing on larger maps, but I was concerned about lag on lower-end PC's. The player also starts and respawns in the center of the overworld; I'm going to try to minimize the unnecessary backtracking, but reward player's that are diligent and explore ever nook and cranny.
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I was play-testing with my volume turned off, but that's actually the title screen music playing in the background. I haven't found much success in finding a suitable soundtrack for the overworld yet. I listened to a few of your soundtracks; I can tell you're a talented composer! I'm not turning this into a recruitment thread, but feel free to PM me if you have any suggestions or if you'd be interested in collaborating on the project; I'd like to hear your input.

David Lister likes this.
  19. Kitsunekko

Kitsunekko N00b Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This looks like a really well-designed and interesting game! I'm looking to implement something similar in my current project (combat-wise), as well. The graphics are really nice, I really like the stamina mechanic, and the mechanics of the game itself seem to be really fluent! The enemy variety you're planning on implementing in the future practically screams a nod to modern-day 3-D Zelda games while the blending of top-down adventure where you're free to explore where and when you want to your heart's content with the stamina and mechanics already implemented makes it a lovely love letter to the LoZ franchise. How long did it take for you to get to the point you're at right now???

One of my concerns though is that you use Link's voice from the Legend of Zelda franchise. If you're planning on selling the game commercially, it'd be a good idea to change the voice to something else to prevent copyright infringement. Call me paranoid, but it's a concern lingering in the back of my mind when I watch the videos over.

20. Jayje

Jayje THE Lone Indie Cheese! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Are you using RMXP? I noticed some of the tiles remind me of it.