RMMV Odyssey - Action Adventure RPG

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Ace of Spades, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Ace of Spades

Ace of Spades Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for the feedback! This project started less than a year ago; the first couple weeks were spent prototyping the movement system. I wanted to make sure the jumping, climbing and swimming all felt perfect before I started working on anything else. I went through many iterations, most of which felt clunky and terrible. Some interesting ideas were ultimately scrapped; I had wall-running fully implemented, but was taken out for the sake of simplicity and user-friendliness. The project was on hiatus for about 6 months, due to real life circumstances, but I'm back on track and have been working on this daily since October.
    Thank you for your concern, I know Nintendo is notoriously strict when it comes to their IP's. I've taken down the videos from the Prototype and Alpha builds for now, as those still featured placeholder sound effects. The sound effects have already been replaced with commercial free resources in the most recently uploaded Beta video.
    I'm currently using RMMV for the updated frame rate and performance over RMXP. Some of the assets being used are from RMXP, but mostly as place holders.

2. LexnNitro

LexnNitro Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Murica
    Hey mate,

I feel like im spamming and stalking you lol but I replied to your thread on another forum and youtube before finding this, just trying to get ahold of you.

Hey wow this looks really good doesn't even look like MV to me.
    A: I'd love to know how you did all of this with just common events and no plugin besides pixel movement.
    B: Do you need playtesters and level designers? I would love to help on this by making some levels with puzzles. I'm trying to flex my level-design-with-puzzles muscle skill for future projects. Please hit me up!

3. RetroExcellent

RetroExcellent Pixelated Avatar of Chaos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This looks brilliant! I am doing an action combat system in my game as well, though more inspired by Secret of Mana than Legend of Zelda. This really makes me want to up my game play value.
    To be honest, I consider myself a pretty skilled eventer, but I cannot even imagine how you got this to work without the use of scripts. This really inspires me to put the best effort into my game as I can.

If you want a beta tester, please feel free to PM me, I love to try and break a system or two.

4. Ace of Spades

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for the comments and feedback everyone!
    Thank you for taking the time to find this thread! I will be sure to update the YouTube channel to link to this forum discussion. To answer your questions:

A: I'm using several plugins made by many talented developers, for things like the HUD. I've updated my main post in this thread to include a list of the plugin authors. However, the battle system, jumping, climbing and swimming systems are my own custom creation. I use a parallel process common event that acts as a state machine; it checks the players region ID and reacts accordingly depending on the player's current state. I hope that gives you some insight on what's going on behind the scenes.

B: It's a little early, but I will most certainly need play-testers, so I appreciate the offer. I will be sure to contact you when the time comes. I'm currently starting to design dungeons, as well as new enemies. I don't have any plans to bring on additional developers at this time, but I'm certainly open-minded to hearing your ideas. Feel free to PM me if you have any thoughts, I'd be interested to hear what you come up with.

That's awesome, I love Secret of Mana! Best of luck on your project, I'd love to see how it turns out. I appreciate the kind words; while the battle system is my own creation, I cannot take full credit for everything being shown. I've updated my original post to include a list of plugin authors that helped contribute to this project. I will let you know once it comes time for play-testing, I'll certainly need some help. Thank you!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  5. Ace of Spades

First Language:
    English
    Hello everyone, just wanted to give a quick status update. I've been working on the opening 10 minutes of Odyssey; I figured this is the most important part of the project. There's a small window of opportunity to capture someone's attention, and make them decide if your game is worth playing. A good title screen can establish a lot in less than 10 seconds.

[​IMG]

The goal of my title screen is to immediately establish the following:
    *Who the player will be playing as; the only character shown on the boat, with the cape blowing in the wind to draw attention to the player.
    *Setting of the game; the player is sailing across the ocean, with scrolling mountains and forests in the distance to showcase the environments you'll be traversing.
    *Theme of adventure; the open water and the title theme music are meant to instill a sense of exploration and adventure.

The opening title screen and intro is reminiscent of Link's Awakening, and it gets the player into the action quickly. Here's a quick preview video; the quality of the frame rate suffered when I recorded this, but it looks much smoother in-game. Also, the file select screen is currently functional, but the UI is still being worked on. The File Select screen will eventually include more information, including the # of hearts collected, and the percentage of game completion on each file.

Please let me know what you think. Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thank you!

definite_lee, Jayje and Finnuval like this.
  6. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Aslong as party members are not a thing in this game (which i think theyre not) you pretty much nailed it and achieve what you intend.
    1 critisism though: the SE of the water is to loud and drowns out the music

7. Jayje

Jayje THE Lone Indie Cheese! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    nice work with the intro. I like it. The sound (as noted above) needs work, but the execution was pretty spot on!

Finnuval likes this.
  8. Ace of Spades

First Language:
    English
    Good catch, it looks like I had the audio mixing a bit off in-game when I went to record this. :aswt:
    In the video the BGM was at 60%, while BGS was at 100%. Both should have been at 80%. I'll test again to make sure it doesn't drown out the BGM.

Finnuval likes this.
  9. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would suggest having BGM at 80% and BGS at 75% (but that's just personal preference I guess lol)
    But yeah, these things stick out like a sore thumb (to me anyway)

10. definite_lee

definite_lee Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think it's incredible and very inspirational. I love what you're doing with this project. Keep it up! You have my full support.

11. synchronicity

synchronicity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow, this game looks great so far from what you've posted! I'll definitely be watching this one. I'm a bit of a sucker for games that let you do more than walk around and fight battles :p

12. Romanticist

Romanticist Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what plugin do you use to have your camera zoomed in to your character? Or do you even use a plugin? Do you just have larger sprites, or maybe a smaller resolution, or...?

On another note... your game looks incredible. I'm shocked that MV can make an ABS game so smooth with just common events. Amazing stuff.

13. OgreKiddo

OgreKiddo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I love the colors of the Sprite Work! Has a very pure SNES/GBA look to it. Definitely has the vibes of an ARPG on the SNES. What will be the major Gameplay Features?

14. Ace of Spades

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for the kind words everyone! Just wanted to post a quick update while I have a chance. I updated the first post with some updated screenshots and a new video to show some of the progress I've made. All feedback is greatly appreciated!

No special plugin, the sprites are just sized that way on the characterset image. The screen resolution is 1280x720. Thank you for the kind words. My main concern is how it will perform on low performance pc's, but I'm hoping to include some optional settings to help performance on older computers.

Thank you for your interest! The main appeal will be freedom and open-world exploration. It will be similar to the original Zelda on NES, where there was a lot of freedom and little guidance. Your character will become more powerful by exploring and collecting new weapons and heart pieces. Dungeons will be hidden throughout the over-world and can be completed in any order.

15. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sound is still a little loud but its looking great!

16. Pammercakes

Pammercakes Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This looks so good! I'd love to play it when it's available! :kaohi:

17. Ace of Spades

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it! Is it just the BGS like the waterfalls that are sounding too loud? I think the giant waterfall BGS is the biggest culprit, that might change. Another thing I noticed after recording the last video was the bomb sound effects triggered multiple times when multiple enemies are being blown up at once. It made the explosion sound effect really distorted, so I will be addressing that bug. :)

Thank you, I will need some play testers when the time is right!

Finnuval likes this.
  18. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Waterfall sounds is indeed a bit intrusive, especially with the amount of Waterfalls you have and it seems they all have that SE and at the same loudness which makes it a bit too much for my old guy ears lol

Also the SE on the bomb effect could be a tiny bit less without losing any impact and without it making me throw my headphones off :guffaw:

19. AnimaScorpius

AnimaScorpius Modern Mage/WorldCrafter Veteran

First Language:
    English, French
    Nice game buddy !

I think there is a real hitch for Zelda-like action battle system going on lately in the rpg maker community. I am happy to see people make it work so fluently. Great job my friend :)

20. Ace of Spades

First Language:
    English
    I agree, I'm really glad to see more action games from the RPG maker community lately. RMMV is certainly capable of real-time combat, it's just a shame we don't see it more often.

[​IMG]

I've been experimenting with making GIFs. The colors are washed out and quality is a little low, but it's a faster process to help share quick ideas and concepts. That way I can save videos for more substantial updates. Let me know what you guys think!

AnimaScorpius, bazrat and BlueMage like this.