Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Any updates on this awesomeness ?

can't wait to try a demo of it!
Thank you so much for your continued interest! Sorry about the delayed response; I've been busy with IRL events. However, with the little free time I do have, I've been putting in work on Odyssey. I haven't shown off much as of late because I'm trying to get a playable demo build working. I'm also realizing it's difficult to demo an open-world game that allows the player to go anywhere from the start, but I'm trying to put together a good 'vertical slice' of the game.

Here's a quick update regarding a few features I've been working on:
There's a proper death animation/respawn sequence that occurs. Odyssey features a Save Slot system, similar to Legend of Zelda or other old-school RPG's. Once you select your save file, your game will automatically save as you make progress. If the player dies in combat or while exploring, they will be warped to the last checkpoint location and restored to full health. Any items found, chests opened, doors unlocked, and puzzles solved will still remain completed. I chose not to include any traditional 'Game Over' screen, to avoid the player from having to load a save file and re-watch the same cutscene before a big fight, or solve the same puzzle again. It encourages the player to continue right where they left off and keep exploring.

I've also been focusing on polishing the game systems to make sure everything works well together, fixing bugs, etc.
The more systems I introduce, the harder it is to make sure everything works together properly. Some misc updates include:

*The player's body will collapse to the ground if they die while climbing, or drown if they're in the water.
*HUD has been updated to have a better indication of when you're at low HP and close to death.
*Context sensitive actions indicators show the player when they can interact with something.
*HUD also updates the button prompt when a context sensitive action is available.
*Idle, walking and running animations are all working now.
*Stepping and swimming SE's have been added.
*Boomerang can pick up objects and bring them to the player.
*Enemies and objects can be jumped over by the player
*Bombs will sink when dropped in water, or fall of the cliffs when placed on a cliff-side.
*A couple NPC's and dialog options were added.

I will keep you all posted, please let me know what you guys think. All suggestions and feedback are welcome!

MasterofRevels

Music Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First of all, this looks absolutely amazing! I am really interested in making an action game like this in RPGMaker and this looks so fluid and natural. I'm blown away!

Secondly, would you ever consider doing a tutorial/behind the scenes video of how you built this system? I know I'd be super interested in seeing that, and I assume others would be too.

Ace of Spades

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
First of all, this looks absolutely amazing! I am really interested in making an action game like this in RPGMaker and this looks so fluid and natural. I'm blown away!

Secondly, would you ever consider doing a tutorial/behind the scenes video of how you built this system? I know I'd be super interested in seeing that, and I assume others would be too.
Thank you for the kind words, it helps keep me motivated to continue working on this project.

I haven't considered doing a tutorial, because it's been a long complicated process of trial-and-error trying to get all these plugins to function together in harmony. To be honest, I wouldn't recommend using RMMV as your engine if you want to create an action game. It can certainly be done, but I've ran into a lot of pitfalls along the way. However, I enjoy using RPG Maker because it's simple to use and I don't mind working within the engine's constraints. Limitations breed creativity!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally the new pc is working!! But it seems a lost my license to Windows 10 because of the hardware changing :(
Tune in next time for our newest Episode: "PC issues return! Palm uses every swear in the lexicon!"
gotta update my game project thread page later
So trying out Ultra Mode 7 was a bad idea. How do I not include this in my game? XD
Stumbled upon an RPG Maker game on Steam called 'Boobs vs Zombies' while looking for a zombie themed fantasy RTS. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HimitsuYuki