Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Any updates on this awesomeness ?

can't wait to try a demo of it!
Thank you so much for your continued interest! Sorry about the delayed response; I've been busy with IRL events. However, with the little free time I do have, I've been putting in work on Odyssey. I haven't shown off much as of late because I'm trying to get a playable demo build working. I'm also realizing it's difficult to demo an open-world game that allows the player to go anywhere from the start, but I'm trying to put together a good 'vertical slice' of the game.

Here's a quick update regarding a few features I've been working on:
There's a proper death animation/respawn sequence that occurs. Odyssey features a Save Slot system, similar to Legend of Zelda or other old-school RPG's. Once you select your save file, your game will automatically save as you make progress. If the player dies in combat or while exploring, they will be warped to the last checkpoint location and restored to full health. Any items found, chests opened, doors unlocked, and puzzles solved will still remain completed. I chose not to include any traditional 'Game Over' screen, to avoid the player from having to load a save file and re-watch the same cutscene before a big fight, or solve the same puzzle again. It encourages the player to continue right where they left off and keep exploring.

I've also been focusing on polishing the game systems to make sure everything works well together, fixing bugs, etc.
The more systems I introduce, the harder it is to make sure everything works together properly. Some misc updates include:

*The player's body will collapse to the ground if they die while climbing, or drown if they're in the water.
*HUD has been updated to have a better indication of when you're at low HP and close to death.
*Context sensitive actions indicators show the player when they can interact with something.
*HUD also updates the button prompt when a context sensitive action is available.
*Idle, walking and running animations are all working now.
*Stepping and swimming SE's have been added.
*Boomerang can pick up objects and bring them to the player.
*Enemies and objects can be jumped over by the player
*Bombs will sink when dropped in water, or fall of the cliffs when placed on a cliff-side.
*A couple NPC's and dialog options were added.

I will keep you all posted, please let me know what you guys think. All suggestions and feedback are welcome!

MasterofRevels

Music Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First of all, this looks absolutely amazing! I am really interested in making an action game like this in RPGMaker and this looks so fluid and natural. I'm blown away!

Secondly, would you ever consider doing a tutorial/behind the scenes video of how you built this system? I know I'd be super interested in seeing that, and I assume others would be too.

Ace of Spades

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
First of all, this looks absolutely amazing! I am really interested in making an action game like this in RPGMaker and this looks so fluid and natural. I'm blown away!

Secondly, would you ever consider doing a tutorial/behind the scenes video of how you built this system? I know I'd be super interested in seeing that, and I assume others would be too.
Thank you for the kind words, it helps keep me motivated to continue working on this project.

I haven't considered doing a tutorial, because it's been a long complicated process of trial-and-error trying to get all these plugins to function together in harmony. To be honest, I wouldn't recommend using RMMV as your engine if you want to create an action game. It can certainly be done, but I've ran into a lot of pitfalls along the way. However, I enjoy using RPG Maker because it's simple to use and I don't mind working within the engine's constraints. Limitations breed creativity!

Ace of Spades

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey everyone, just digging this thread back from the dead.... project is still in progress, I promise! Just took a minute to record some footage of the opening minutes of Odyssey. I'm showing off the new torch and flame system, and how it can be used for puzzle solving. Let me know what you think!

Also, for those interested, here's a small laundry list of things I've done over the past couple weeks.
*Day/Night cycle fully integrated, with screen tints and environmental sounds
*Torch and flames will burn objects, and provide appropriate lighting
*New enemy types introduced
*Certain enemy types will only appear during day/night, resulting in different dynamics while exploring
*Re-balanced all the audio per provided feedback; all waterfalls and fire have context sensitive sounds that pan as you get closer/further away, and should be less overbearing.
*Integrated a few NPC's, dialogue system and dialog choice system.
*Opening dungeon almost complete
*Fixed countless bugs, and created countless more.

AnimaScorpius

Modern Mage/WorldCrafter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey everyone, just digging this thread back from the dead.... project is still in progress, I promise! Just took a minute to record some footage of the opening minutes of Odyssey. I'm showing off the new torch and flame system, and how it can be used for puzzle solving. Let me know what you think!

Also, for those interested, here's a small laundry list of things I've done over the past couple weeks.
*Day/Night cycle fully integrated, with screen tints and environmental sounds
*Torch and flames will burn objects, and provide appropriate lighting
*New enemy types introduced
*Certain enemy types will only appear during day/night, resulting in different dynamics while exploring
*Re-balanced all the audio per provided feedback; all waterfalls and fire have context sensitive sounds that pan as you get closer/further away, and should be less overbearing.
*Integrated a few NPC's, dialogue system and dialog choice system.
*Opening dungeon almost complete
*Fixed countless bugs, and created countless more.
I am so freaking happpy your back dude. :)

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the game looks very nice, I wish I could play it already :D

bazrat

Pixel Game Maker MV
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Great job with the atmosphere and dungeon, I really liked it!

MasterofRevels

Music Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That looks incredible! I can't wait for this to come out.

CosBlade

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is, mechanically, SO CLOSE to what I've been trying to accomplish in my game. I can't believe how smooth everything appears. Would love to learn from you!

EuphemiaArtoria

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
This is really impressive! I haven't seen a lot of action games in RMMV and I'm always surprised when someone makes one. I love the look of running around jumping and fighting. The little HUD in the top right is really cute too. I like the way the islands are laid out in the first video to teach the player about jumping and climbing - although the dodging under the gate puzzle looks a little bit more tricky.

Really looking forwards to a demo of this!

Ace of Spades

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you everyone for the continued support, your comments and feedback help keep me motivated to finish this project!

Great job with the atmosphere and dungeon, I really liked it!
Thanks Baz, I appreciate it. I hope you're still working on Namia, I'd love to see an update sometime if so.

This is, mechanically, SO CLOSE to what I've been trying to accomplish in my game. I can't believe how smooth everything appears. Would love to learn from you!
The best thing I could teach is to keep your project small! Feature creep is real, and I feel has slowed my progress a bit. Perhaps once the game releases I can go into more detail how things are laid out behind the scenes, but getting everything to work together has come with its own problems, limitations and complications along the way.

This is really impressive! I haven't seen a lot of action games in RMMV and I'm always surprised when someone makes one. I love the look of running around jumping and fighting. The little HUD in the top right is really cute too. I like the way the islands are laid out in the first video to teach the player about jumping and climbing - although the dodging under the gate puzzle looks a little bit more tricky.

Really looking forwards to a demo of this!
Very good eye, I'm glad you noticed the details of the starting area. This is what I consider to be a 'silent tutorial'. My goal is to teach the player the mechanics without holding their hand. The starting island requires you to jump to get to the next island. The next island is a bit further, which teaches the player they can swim. The next requires a bit of climbing to get up to... but none of this is explicitly told to the player.

There is, however, a fine line between providing too much information and too little... We don't want to deny our player the 'A-Ha!' moment, but we also don't want to them to be stuck in frustration. For that reason, I have hidden tutorial messages. These messages only appear if the player hasn't figured it out after about 10 seconds. The button prompt will then pop up and flash on screen to indicate the action required to proceed. The idea here was to hide tutorial messages from those who know how to play, but it will nudge newer players in the right direction.

I added the gated area you have to roll under at the beginning of the game, because my first play tester never used the dodge roll at all (which is one of the more fun mechanics in my opinion!). At that point, I knew I had to teach the player the dodge roll mechanic early on, which is where I came up with the idea for the gate. Now the player is required to learn how to doge in order to proceed, but will be given a tutorial message if they don't figure it out shortly. Not to mention that it keeps the player from needlessly backtracking past that point and the timing of getting under is really pretty generous. I'm just hoping it doesn't give anyone trouble.

Ace of Spades

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Happy Saturday everyone! I hope all of you and your loved ones are staying safe during these trying times. In hopes of bringing some happiness and enjoyment to the world, I'm dropping another content update. This time I'm showcasing a few NPC's for the dialogue system in place, as well as the day/night cycle.

Serenity Falls is the starting town HUB center where you'll be able to purchase items, upgrade your weapons, rest, and interact with some of the island inhabitants.

You may notice that the enemies that appear at night are different than during the daytime. Bees won't come out of the hives at night, but instead ghostly specters will haunt the player. They will turn translucent and can avoid most physical attacks while you're facing their direction. However, it turns out they're quite weak to fire, making it a wise idea to carry a lit torch while exploring at nighttime.

The fortune teller NPC is another newly added feature as well. If the player is ever feeling lost or confused as to where to go next, they can pay to have their fortune read. The fortune teller will then drop a hint as to where the player may find their next objective, without directly spoiling exactly where to go.

Huge shoutout to @OcRam; his amazing plugins have breathed new life into the world of Odyssey, as I'm currently utilizing his lighting system, day/night system and dynamic audio plugins. Please go check out his work, one of the better plugin creators out there who drop regular updates.

Also, quick side note: If anyone with js experience is interested in helping with my project, and making a little $ during our time of social distancing, I have a paid commission request for a menu system that's partially working right now. Please check it out if you can help, it's greatly appreciated!
[Paid] [Scripting] [MV] Custom Inventory/Equipment Screen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Making it a rule that I don't do any world building for my new game before the actual gameplay is concrete and working. I have 16 years of lore to work with anyway.
Cheesy power metal makes everything better. No matter what you do, you'll feel heroic doing it.
Starting to really like the first of my madness areas. I think the eyes looking at them really helps to sell the place. :LZSexcite:
Made idle animation for character. It first had only three frames but looked too different from walking animation and I had to draw five more.
MV and VX Ace both have good qualities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadAtticGames