athosfranco

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
I've been keeping busy the past few weeks. I hammered out some further details with the story and implemented some new cutscenes at the beginning of the game to ramp up the drama and spectacle a bit. I've also been working on mapping the Tomb of Anubis out right now, one of the dungeons you will find and explore on your adventure.

I'm testing out puzzle elements and combing platforming with traps. This is a WIP, but all feedback is welcome.

Wow. Looks great. Good job. Im really anxious to play this.

Ace of Spades

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Happy Saturday everyone, I hope you are all enjoying the weekend.

I wanted to share some progress on the opening Prologue. If anyone has been following along, my writing skills are admittedly not my strong suit. However, I've been working on the opening section of my game, that sets up the rest of the story.

ThumbnailOdyssey.png

Here's the tagline so far: "Our hero suffers a grizzly fate after he unleashes the mighty Blight Demon from his prison.

You're greeted by Death in the Spirit Realm, only to be swiftly kicked out and sent to Purgatory for your actions.

You must seek redemption and return your soul to rest by slaying the Blight Demon and restoring peace to Serenity Falls."

Please let me know what you guys think... I'm trying to keep it short and sweet, to the point. I'm not a big fan of opening sequences that overstay their welcome or try to over-explain everything to the player upfront. Any and all feedback is valuable, so I'm open to suggestions.

Pammercakes

Spacedust
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yoooo! That looks fantastic! The bits of humour are just my flavor too! Nice! Can't wait to play this!

Killerslash

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That was awesome! But I need to ask you something:
1) About the jump, it's better than other's (some plugins can jump not freely, like RPG games. And there are some of the games can jump freely, like platform games.) plugin, how did you make jump just like the video? Is it a plugin? Or not?
2) About Climb (like a robe, ladder, etc...), How did you make it? Is it a plugin? Or not?
Just send me an email: vegetapowerup@gmail.com
Detail: I am doing a project just like you, but using a level up and some technique.

cloudsefi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it's amazing what you can do with this program.

I really like what I see... I'll keep an eye out for news ^^

athosfranco

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Holy crap. This looks really good. One of the most professional-looking RPG Maker games ive seen in a while. Congratulations.

Uranium

Game Dev, Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks awesome! :2k31:

I cannot wait to release some teasers for the project I am a part of!!!

People are going to shed tears it is so righteous!

Ace of Spades

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi everyone, thanks for the kind words. I've been working hard the past few weeks, but wanted to keep you all updated. So I took a stab at making a teaser-trailer yesterday. I've never had any experience with video editing, so it was certainly a learning process. I have a new found respect for those who create trailers for a living, it's definitely an art... especially for game-trailers, where you're the director, the actor, and the producer all at the same time. I feel there's room for improvement, but let me know what you guys think!

Yoooo! That looks fantastic! The bits of humour are just my flavor too! Nice! Can't wait to play this!
Thank you! Admittedly, writing is not really my strong-suit, so I tried to keep the dialog really short and simple. Glad the humor wasn't too dark, haha.

That was awesome! But I need to ask you something:
1) About the jump, it's better than other's (some plugins can jump not freely, like RPG games. And there are some of the games can jump freely, like platform games.) plugin, how did you make jump just like the video? Is it a plugin? Or not?
2) About Climb (like a robe, ladder, etc...), How did you make it? Is it a plugin? Or not?
Just send me an email: vegetapowerup@gmail.com
Detail: I am doing a project just like you, but using a level up and some technique.

Both the jump and climbing systems are built from the ground up for Odyssey. Unfortunately, it's not a plugin or anything I can easily share, as both systems are designed and integrated with the rest of my action battle system.

it's amazing what you can do with this program.

I really like what I see... I'll keep an eye out for news ^^
I agree, I love seeing what people are capable of doing with RPG Maker. Limitations breed creativity!

Holy crap. This looks really good. One of the most professional-looking RPG Maker games ive seen in a while. Congratulations.
Thanks you, I'm really hoping to release a playable demo soon!

Looks awesome! :2k31:

I cannot wait to release some teasers for the project I am a part of!!!

People are going to shed tears it is so righteous!
Sounds pretty epic, I can't wait to see what you've been working on!

Uranium

Game Dev, Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
great work ace of spades! Very inspiring.like wise writing is not my strong point so coming up with clever dialog and situations is my struggle at the moment.

i find I am usually drained by the time I get home from work and then spend time on pixel art, my brain usually can’t come up with the clever bits I need! Haha

Awesome stuff, I will purchase your game upon release to support your progress!

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
Português
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello, your work on Odyssey is very good.

I would like to know if you will offer make available a running, jumping, swimming, climbing and battle system? This system is ahead of its time.

I would like to play the beta of your game.

Ace of Spades

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello everyone, I hope you're all enjoying your weekend.

Happy belated Valentine's Day! I wanted to start off by sharing some fabulous fan-art from some very talented community members.

LuvFirstBlight.png
It was love at first Blight! Artist: @Rubescen

Baby Blight Demon - Fanart.png
Baby Blight Demon will kill your soul...with kindness! Artist: @hiddenone

TeodoraLaessa.png
A realistic take on our hero, I can see the spin-off manga now! Artist: @dreamfall887
Doll Maker created by TeodoraLaessa from DollDivine.com

SA_Odyssey_Blight Demon.gif
Last but not least, a fabulous 8-bit rendition of the Big Bad himself! It brings me back to the GBC days. Artist: @SmashArtist

Please check out the The Collective Fanart Corner for more fantastic art!

Now on to business:

The past week has been spent working to include as many options as possible to rebind controls, but I also wanted to make sure the default controls feel natural regardless of what input device they're using.

Shown below is a dynamic HUD. The player can choose how button prompts will appear in-game, to reflect if you're playing on a keyboard, Xbox, or PlayStation controller.

Here's an example of the 3 layouts available:
PC:
Keyboard HUD.png

Xbox:
Xbox HUD.png

PlayStation:
PS4 HUD.png

The button prompts above the firepit and other context sensitive actions will also change depending on what control style you selected from the Options Menu. I'm still working on the PC HUD to see if I can get the key buttons to update to whatever custom bind the player chooses. I'm also looking for feedback regarding the default control schemes, as well as WASD control schemes shown below. What are your thoughts?
The 'Action' button is a context sensitive: Confirm, Jump, Talk, Open, Rest, Read (When a context sensitive action is available, it'll show a button prompt on screen)

The 'Back' button is also used as the Dodge Roll.

Keyboard Bind.png

Keyboard WASD Bind.png

Ace of Spades

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Here's a quick update on what I've been working on recently. This is a boss fight with Anubis, God of the Dead. Keep in mind this is a work in progress, so feedback is always appreciated.

There's a few new features being showcased here: Notice how the player can now be inflicted with fire damage over time. If you catch on fire in the heat of battle, you can perform a dodge roll to put out the flames, prior to taking extra burn-damage. Lava was recently added as well, which will also induce a burn status if the player isn't careful with their jumps.

One other feature on display is the new health system. Instead of pausing the game mid-combat to open an item menu and select a healing item, the player has a healing hotkey which allows you to chug a potion mid-combat. This forces the player to carefully consider when and where they're going to heal during battle, as the healing animation can be interrupted and leaves you vulnerable for a brief moment.

You'll also have access to an enchanted health flask, which will refill itself while resting beside a campfire. The main idea behind this was to eliminate the player from needing to backtrack to town to craft health potions after failing a boss attempt. It also allows the main town to act more as a centralized HUB world you'll occasionally visit to obtain permanent upgrades.

Let me know what you guys think!

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
looks nice, very impressive :) keep up the nice work :p

matheus872

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Português
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wonder how you did such a great action system like this... Do you did you use any plugin as a base or its al via scripting?

Smokeldoggz

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
On my phone, the beginning of SmashArtist is covered by the pictures so I’m like “he calls himself shartist?”

Last edited:

Smokeldoggz

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi.

I made an account to say that your game seems like a lot of fun to play, and I’d love to be able to play it on my Playstation in the near future.

I have no experience with RPGMaker but I’ve been a gamer for over 30 years, and RPGs are my favorite genre.

Smoke

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

@Smokeldoggz, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can use the "Edit" function on your posts to add additional information you've forgotten or respond to multiple people. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

On my phone, the beginning of SmashArtist is covered by the pictures so I’m like “he calls himself shartist?”

Please do not post just to make spammy comments.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Gotta love when RM just decides it's done with existence and closes when you're in an event.
Good grief am I ever so dusty on music creation. Never move, gentleman and ladies!
After waiting for several months to observe the results of vaccines, I finally decided to go for Comirnaty, because now my job needs me to either be vaccinated or take a regular testing every 2 weeks(240 HKD per test), and it seems to me that Comirnaty is safe enough in my case :)
So, to create multiple faces one needs to first export, then import, over and over... who came up with this weird mechanism...
Away from home now since it reduce COVID spread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fooples