Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Have you ever been offended when you make a request for some service such as making some art or something, and someone tells you they'll do it if you pay them something? Or offended someone when you told them you were expecting more compensation than just "kthx"

Last edited by a moderator:

NoahJMina

RPG survivalist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
no i wouldnt be offended if you asked me. i would however be offended if you made a post about it first.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have you ever been offended when you make a request for some service such as making some art or something, and someone tells you they'll do it if you pay them something?
Nope - if someone says they'll do it but only for a fee, then you can accept their offer, or say 'thanks but no thanks' and wait and hope someone else will come along who'll do it for free. Absolutely no need to be offended that someone wants to be paid for their time and work.

Or offended someone when you told them you were expecting more compensation than just "kthx"
This situation should really not happen. If you offer to do something for someone and you want compensation, that should be worked out and agreed upon before you even start. If I had asked for something to be made, and someone did it and I was given the impression they were doing it for free (because they never stated up front that they wanted to be paid), and then asked for payment AFTER giving it to me, I'd probably be a little put out. No reason why they couldn't have stated their price up-front and given me the option to accept or not.

AlphaSilvr

King of the Wolves
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I wouldn't be offended if I made a request and someone offered to do it for pay. I may decline them, but I wouldn't be offended.

As for expecting money in doing a request, I would think it would be like anything else, if you said you were expecting to get paid, then yeah, I would be miffed if they didn't pay me. But if I did it without mentioning anywhere that I was expecting payment, then that kinda falls on me.
That's my personal opinion. I prefer upfront expectations so as to avoid confusion at a later time.

EDIT: Pretty much what Shaz said. ^^^

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
I get offended when people expecting me to do hard things for free, acting like the time and effort i would put on these things were whortless just because "rpg maker is just for fun"

NoahJMina

RPG survivalist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
if someone put it under script support then i wouldnt expect them to state " offering x$ to do it for me"

however if i asked then i would consider that reasonable.

however i would expect a preset price if it was in script requests.

Look i dont wanna be a bad guy - what do i know im only 15.

im truly sorry that i didnt offer you anything. 

next time i will if you want me to.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Where the request is posted doesn't make a difference (though if you're OFFERING payment, it should go into Classifies). Sometimes Script Support tasks are harder to complete than Script Requests tasks. Anyone has a right to ask for payment for filling a request, but it should be done up-front, not after the fact. And the requester has a right to accept or decline.

cosmickitty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I get offended when people expecting me to do hard things for free, acting like the time and effort i would put on these things were whortless just because "rpg maker is just for fun"
I agree with that 100%. I was once told asking anything over $10 for a RM sprite sheet was ridiculous.  I would prefer to get all my options if I made a request, if I had a choice between a kid who'd do a half assed job and take 2 months to do it or possibly pay a few dollars for something good I'd like to know I had that option.  It's not like they're holding you ransom by offering to work for a fee, you're more than welcome to say no thanks.

vanillacoke

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It depends on the circumstances. Some people want ridiculous amounts.

Clord

Nya~
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
So what as long the client is willing to wait and not to be impatient?

I have commissioned from a certain artist quite a bit work but we agreed that he can do it in his own pace due that is his terms.

About this thread subject. I was obviously not offended that I did need to pay as I knew that I would need to. When person puts hours of effort for a single character it deserves some kind of compensation especially when it looks professionally made.

amerk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I never understood why people get offended by this. I've seen my share of topics on various sites where people were getting judgmental at scripters for asking for compensation, or because they had the nerve to do commission work.

Whether or not you agree with them selling their work makes no difference, since they have the right to do so. Whether or not you agree the price is right or ridiculous makes no difference since they have the right to set their prices.

What you can do (as others pointed out) is decline the offer and then see if somebody else is willing to do it for less, if not free. It makes me wonder if the entitlement attitude I've seen from some people is driving scripters away.

Also, most scripters make plenty of scripts for non-commercial for the public to use. Some (such as Yanfly and Tsukihime) have even been kind enough to allow commercial use on various scripts without payment.

If they decide to sell some of their scripts instead, or charge for taking on requests, what right does somebody else have to tell them otherwise? Either make do with the scripts that are free, pay up, go somewhere else, or learn to script yourself. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

Berylstone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Unfortunately it takes money to live.  So I don't know why anyone would be offended by someone asking compensation for their time and effort. 

My guess would be they were still young and haven't learned the cruel lessons of this world :(

Ratty524

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Only time I'd be offended is if the person I'm requesting resources from announces a playment request just after finishing the resource (as in charging for goods without giving prior notice to the client). Otherwise, I'm okay with it. If I want something free I'll look elsewhere.

Berylstone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Only time I'd be offended is if the person I'm requesting resources from announces a playment request just after finishing the resource (as in charging for goods without giving prior notice to the client). Otherwise, I'm okay with it. If I want something free I'll look elsewhere.
I'm with you on that.  If you are going to charge, you need to make that clear up front.  Not throw it on them out of the blue later.

cosmickitty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Not sure thats a fair thing to say.  Artists, scripters, musicians, etc are all at different skill levels.  If your skill level warrants what you would consider "ridiculous amounts" then why shouldn't they charge it?

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
Also agreed, If they say it beforehand, I'm not offended at all.

A lot of the best artist and scripters tend to have decent prices anyways.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not sure thats a fair thing to say.  Artists, scripters, musicians, etc are all at different skill levels.  If your skill level warrants what you would consider "ridiculous amounts" then why shouldn't they charge it?
But that is the core of the question: Does your skill level warrant the "ridiculous amount" or not?
I have seen people who charged professional rates based on the time they spent on something, but due to a low skill level needed three or four times the amount of time any decent professional would need. The resulting commission rates were ridicously overpriced ($100 for a mouse-drawn simple lineart that some other artists I know wouldn't even call a planning sketch...)

Yes, anyone can make their own call on how much they want for any piece - but if they place a too high price tag on that, then they shouldn't get angry if they don't get commissions for those prices.

cosmickitty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Not saying me specifically :p I consider my rates pretty fair.  But who am I to say what someone can or can't charge for their work?  I've seen plenty of work in galleries that I consider awful, does that mean they can't charge what they'd like for it?

But back to the original topic, don't see how you can possibly be "offended" are you offended anytime you drive past a homeless person or a group of girl scouts selling cookies?  Don't see how you could be offended that someone offered a product/service to you.

vanillacoke

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
What service do homeless people offer?

I think the point of his post is that people maybe aren't clear enough with their payment terms or whatever.

Sure, the artist, composer, whatever can charge what they like, however, if you are unproven then you will just put people off your work.

The way I see it, you should be as reasonable as possible with one another. The chances are that it could actually help you in the long run, whether it be further requests from the same person or maybe he recommends you to a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

We're playing Omori by OMOCAT starting at 2pm est :D
Hi there! Do you actively use your Itch.io account? How do you use it?
When you have your friend over and you try to have a good time and let him try your game but he legit finds 10+ bugs that you now have to add to your already big workload for the day lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lyorna