monkeynohito

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Even if someone is making a game -purely- as a hobby and/or intending to release something for free, they should expect to pay for quality resources. They're working with a cottage industry. Like Shaz said, this should be expected and agreed on beforehand.

A major corollary I don't think a lot of people think about is rights and exclusivity. Even if you commission some art for use in a game, that artist is fully within their rights to do whatever else they want with those images and even bar you from using those images outside of the agreed upon usage. If you don't like the idea of someone turning around and selling the stuff you commissioned you'll need to agree on that exclusivity or rights control beforehand and most likely pay extra. If someone wants to get offended by that, tough luck, the law defaults in favor of the creator's rights.

On the other side of the topic, I do think some people can too caught up with doing commissions in general and that can get tacky. I see that a lot on DA, but not really from any RM people. I actually have some friends who haven't really posted anything original in years, it's just an endless stream of commissions and posts about how many slots they have opening up and changes to their terms and rates, etc. The person who used to just do stuff for fun is replaced by this annoying art vending machine straddling the line between hobby artist and something more professional and ending up being neither. There's nothing wrong with doing commissions, but they should just be a side thing to whatever goals you've really set your sights on.

diamond16

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
A major corollary I don't think a lot of people think about is rights and exclusivity. Even if you commission some art for use in a game, that artist is fully within their rights to do whatever else they want with those images and even bar you from using those images outside of the agreed upon usage. If you don't like the idea of someone turning around and selling the stuff you commissioned you'll need to agree on that exclusivity or rights control beforehand and most likely pay extra. If someone wants to get offended by that, tough luck, the law defaults in favor of the creator's rights.
I've done this a few times where someone has requested songs for their game. I offer two rates, exclusive (more expensive) and non-exclusive.  In both cases, the client gets music tailored specifically to their game, but if they have bought non-exclusive then I can sell the track again. 

As everyone has said, as long as everybody is upfront about payment/non-payment then a lot of issues can be avoided.

BestsellingFictionPodcast

Helping self-published authors get more readers ,
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I once had someone say they will pay me, then the payment never happened. Always get a deposit. It's a good way to screen out the time-wasters from those that take you seriously and are serious about paying for your services.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A deposit isn't always necessary. It depends on how well you know the person, and if you've worked with them before.

cosmickitty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I never ask for deposits... and I've never had someone fail to pay me.  I don't know if that just means I'm lucky or what.... but it's always been my policy to finish something before money is exchanged.

Berylstone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I never ask for deposits... and I've never had someone fail to pay me.  I don't know if that just means I'm lucky or what.... but it's always been my policy to finish something before money is exchanged.
Not sure about other countries, but in the U.S verbal contracts are legally binding anyways.  So if someone tries to stiff you, you can take them to court.

Clord

Nya~
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Not sure about other countries, but in the U.S verbal contracts are legally binding anyways.  So if someone tries to stiff you, you can take them to court.
As long you can prove it happened. :)

I personally have been commissioning artists who don't put stupid terms for their work (I mean absurd ones like not editing the image.)

It is clear when some artists make their terms so that they can double dip for their work by making pay for a simple edits what commissioner can handle even by itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Berylstone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
As long you can prove it happened. :)

I personally have been commissioning artists who don't put stupid terms for their work (I mean absurd ones like not editing the image.)

It is clear when some artists make their terms so that they can double dip for their work by making pay for a simple edits what commissioner can handle even by itself.
Unfortunately greed is always a possible factor when conducting business :(

Fair point about the need to be able to prove the contract took place though.  Probably a good idea to have a witness handy when employing or being employed by someone if you want to keep the arrangement verbal.

Last edited by a moderator:

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm the best person to mooch off of. I'll give in because I think it's a nice thing that they can rely on me. Which is also why I won't ever be that rich...

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?

No, says the man in Washington, it belongs to the poor.

No, says the man in the Vatican, it belongs to God.

No, says the man in Moscow, it belongs to everyone."

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Tai_MT, please do not post in older threads when you do not have anything meaningful to add. Thank you.

Closing this, as it served its purpose long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

unknown.png

A sketch of a character for an upcoming chapter. I am pre-preparing the heck out of this one and future chapters, don't want to spend time figuring the story out again. :blush:
Today *Fix the game UI
RMMZ maxRows make me tired.
The game supports real-time language switching (really interesting).
8laFKAa.png

jBYDFzZ.png

lYbvPth.png

mY99lgU.png

Swag collecting in the new randomly generated area. Now the mini map also shows the randomly generated features... And even illustrates the whole "bubble" system" that I made to manage memory... Though that part's inadvertent. We'll just call that "the fog of war"... Yes, that's what we'll do. Nobody will be the wiser! :kaopride:
not me being not lazy for 5 seconds and drawing another char portrait (her name is hazel)
its_hazel.png
Been a while since the last time I made a song remix. Had a blast making this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmberliaDraw