EmeraldSpecter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey all... I have a couple of weird questions about offering up your services if someone is asking for help on their project.

Let's say someone is looking for some mapping help, maybe some voice acting... and they are definitely not going to be making a penny off their finished project. Do you charge for your services? In general, I mean. They don't seek you out but they post and you come to them. Would you charge?

For projects that would need things that will end up being commercial, paying for help is completely open and understandable, I'm just wondering about the non-commercial stuff.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Short answer, no.
But it is safe to assume that there might be a catch behind every free service.

EmeraldSpecter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was just after a sense, I wasn't really sure.

AccolourChris

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would assume that would be subjective o.0 If someone is seeking help for a project they don't plan to make money on then you have a decision to make as to whether or not you feel the need to help without the pay or not. I would assume most of those projects wouldn't have much of a budget behind them so you could definitely offer a price for your services...but I wouldn't expect them to have the money to pay for it hehe.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Generally I don't come to them if I feel like I need to charge for something. If I have some spare time and it looks like something I really believe in, I offer to help for free. If it's a big enough commitment that I feel like I would need to charge for it to justify my time, I let them know it's one I'd be willing to take for X amount, and I suggest that they open a topic on the Commissions board.

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would suggest you charge for your service, if they are asking for help. (Whether or not it's commercial.)
I recommend this, because a lot of these folks would not finish their game. So if you help them, your work would likely go wasted in the end. (In the case you get paid. The project will likely still not be done. But... at-least you got paid!)

If you want to offer up your service for free. Then do it for a project (or developer) you believe in. Someone who is not asking for help. Someone who has a track record of finishing their game.
They will not only appreciate your work more. But you would have invested in something that feels more rewarding, and productive.

Mythmaker19

Teller of Tales
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It would probably be less of a hassle to just to go to the Commissions page if you have access to it and scroll through those for projects looking for help with your expertise. That way you're more likely to know what to expect and what they're willing to give in return for help.

If they haven't indicated a willingness to pay, odds are they won't pay.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you talking about someone you know, someone outside this forum, or are you talking about the project recruitment area?

If you're referring to this forum, the project recruitment area is for FREE help, and if someone posts there, you cannot offer your services and ask for payment. Classifieds is where you can go looking for paid work.

If it's not that, then I guess it depends on you, and on them. If they want you to work for free but you don't want to, just say so, and if nobody changes their minds, that's where it ends. Just make sure everything is understood and agreed up front, so there are no surprises.

KenKrath

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You mean if I post for help and someone comes to me to offer their service for free?

I'd be hesitant and think they have some weird motive. That's just me. I'd rather pay for the service and be done with it, commercial or not.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I've decided "Attack on Equestria" should be released first... hence this new ARG channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClKiUI8xOVx9dsF4kRXUmxw
Check it out, and subscribe! The ARG will lead up to the video game. It's not a creepy game, but I just thought it should follow ARG standards.
For anyone interested in my project M - i finally made a gamethread about it :D

Yay. I turned 39 today. Another year older, another year closer to the grave.
I'm sure the latest post/thread in the sidebar used to have 5 posts. Was it always been like this?

Made it to the 10th video doing this! :kaocry:

renderTimingPixel.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClementPanchout