Official Store Submissions

Discussion in 'Product Announcements' started by Lunarea, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Global Mod

What we're looking for:
    1) Resources that are original.
    - Submitted resources must be original and created by the person submitting them.
    - If the resources make use of a base created by someone else, the submitter must have written permission (i.e. license) to sell the base commercially.

2) Resources that are of high quality.
    - Submitted resources will go through our internal quality control before being sent to Degica/Enterbrain for a final decision.
    - Submitted resources are expected to be in their final form – meaning that they should be ready for sale immediately. You may, however, have samples and WIP work as a part of your portfolio.

3) Resources that are in demand.
    - If there's an over-abundance of a particular type of resource, we may decline resource packs or schedule them for a much later release.
    - We are willing to take risks with various styles. However, if a style just isn't selling, we may decline further contributions in said style.

4) Resources that are appropriate.
    - Regardless of demand, resources that are of mature nature, contain highly controversial themes or are infringing upon others' trademarks will not be accepted.

5) Resources are available for commercial use.
    - You may also choose to include a license for non-RPG Maker engines.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2014
  2. Lunarea

Process Checklist:

- Send your portfolio to support@rpgmakerweb.com

Your portfolio should include an accurate description of your abilities, your level of expertise and work preferences. You should include at least 3 recent and complete examples of your work. These examples should be things you are proud of.

- If we feel that your work has potential and we need your resource type, we will contact you with a list of current themes.

Our aim is to increase the resource bank by adding complementary resources. You will still have a degree of creative freedom, but we will expect your contribution to fit within a given theme. You are welcome to use your personal style and tools. We are also happy to provide you with advice about the current customer trends and demands.

- Once your resources are completed, send them to productgroup@degica.com, where they will be evaluated by our internal QA team.

Please make sure to send us your final versions, as they would appear to customers in the store. We will check your resources for proper format and quality.

- If your resources pass the internal QA, they will be sent to Degica/Enterbrain for evaluation.

Degica/Enterbrain has the final say in whether a resource is accepted for sale or not. They are also the ones who approve store prices.

- Once we have Degica/Enterbrain's approval, we will send you a copy of a contract to review and sign.

Note that all contract information is private. You may not discuss your contract or the terms of your contract publicly. If you agree with the terms, sign the contract and send it back to us.

- We will package your product, create a landing (i.e. store) page for you, offer technical support and take care of announcements.

You may still contact us with any updates or changed content and you are welcome to participate in conversations about your product.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  3. Lunarea

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q. How long does the process take?
    A. Not including the time it takes you to complete the resource, the process usually takes between 2 and 4 weeks. The length of the process depends on the availability of different employees and teams. If you are in need of more immediate funds, you may wish to consider commissions instead.

Q. How will you communicate with me?
    A. Via e-mail or forum private messages.

Q. How much money can I make?
    A. It depends on how well your resource sells. You will receive a percentage of every sale, as determined by your contract. However, it's important to note that the the prices of resource packs will be kept low and affordable for our customers. Most of your sales will be made shortly after the resource pack is announced, and they will taper over time.

Q. How will I get paid?
    A. You will most likely be paid via PayPal, but the specifics of your payment and the payment schedule should be covered by your contract. You will be required to make monthly invoices. Should you need assistance with this, you may e-mail us at support@rpgmakerweb.com.

Q. You declined my services. What now?
    A. Don't feel discouraged! If you were declined because of resource over-abundance, we'll try to keep you in mind for future releases. If you were declined because your skill level wasn't quite as high as we need, just keep practicing.
    You are welcome to re-apply at a later date. Please try to wait at least one month before reapplying, however. It will make it easier for us to re-evaluate our customer demand or your skills.

Q. I already have a large pack of resources that's ready for release. Would you sell it?
    A. If your resource pack is original, appropriate and of good quality, yes. You can e-mail us at support@rpgmakerweb.com for more details.

Q. How old do I have to be to sell resources?
    A. Old enough to be able to sign a legally-binding document. If you are unable to sign, please let us know in advance. We may be able to work something out with the assistance of your parent/legal guardian.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Rexzilreon, aqua, Marquise* and 6 others like this.
  4. RavenTDA

RavenTDA just another mask Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hey couple of questions... first off with resources that are original are we allowed to edit the resources from the makers themselves (the rtp)? Seeing it's actually FROM Enterbrain I wonder if that's allowed. Other than that about the contract does it matter what country you're in or not?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2012
    SolarGale and PK8 like this.
  5. Lunarea

The country you're in doesn't matter - except for the legal age you need to be before signing a contract (some countries it's 18, others it's 21). Reporting your income for taxes will be your responsibility (as self-employed).

We can't accept edited work. It gets into a murky legal territory and it can negatively impact sales. What can happen with edits is that the copyright holder (original owner) can decide to pull the resource and neither you or Degica would have a say in this. You could also find yourself in having no say in how the resource is used. And we may not be able to protect you legally should a customer decides to sue you because they got in legal trouble with the copyright holders (not that they necessarily would, but it's a risk).

RTP edits, in particular, are a difficult thing because RTP licenses are specific to the Maker (unless you own multiple makers). This means that we would have to limit who the resource is sold for and who can use it commercially. We also wouldn't be able to offer Non-RM licenses.

That said, you can certainly make resources in the RTP style. You can use the same techniques, palettes and proportions. :)

Marquise* likes this.
  6. Des

Des timefantasy.net Veteran

First Language:
    American
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    question:

contracts and deadlines and stuff. would i be required to hand in specific things by certain deadlines?

or can i be freelance and give you stuff as i finish them. i have a real job that takes up most of my time so releasing things on a regular schedule will be nearly impossible.

also: just to back up what's already been said. edits and recolors shouldn't even be considered—that's almost insulting to those of us who actually create our own graphics. if people are going to be producing new and original content, it should be new and original.

if you do edits and recolors, though—just start practicing and make your own stuff! you're already on the right track, so just keep practicing and you'll be able to make your own stuff soon.

PK8, Scinaya and EvilEagles like this.
  7. Lunarea

There are no fixed deadlines. You can take as long as you need to create your resources. The contract signing and set up happens after your resource is finished and submitted to us (and after it passes QA review). :)

If possible, though, try to be reasonable with how much time you take. It's the best way to keep your theme(s) relevant and to guarantee sales. There's also less risk that we'll have to push your release because of resource type over-abundance.

8. RyanA

RyanA Happy Cat Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Sweet! Thanks for this Luna :D

9. Victor Sant

Victor Sant Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    A question about matching materials: let's say i've made a new template, then i make charsets based on the Makers RTPs, while they're not edits, they're based on the rtp grapichs.

This would be allowed? Would this have any limitation?

I'm asking this because i have a custom template. But making a new template without matching material (specially faces) wound't be a good selling point.

10. Monthigos

Monthigos Tata Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is pretty cool. Maybe if I get some resources up and make a couple bucks, then the Mrs. will stop freaking out about how much time I spend on my hobby. ;)

Bokou likes this.
  11. Lunarea

@Victor:

I will ask Degica/Enterbrain and let you know.

Though if you want my advice ... A big selling point of a custom base is that it's not RTP. If you are able to make enough sprites on a new base (perhaps making an alternate RTP for example), people will be more likely to switch - with or without matching faces.

One of the things that we are going to try and do is to make complementary packs. So, if we get a contributor who is interested in making facesets or battlers, we can assign them your character pack as a theme. Likewise, if they make some facesets, you may get their pack as a theme. Eventually, we would love to have complete thematic sets and really build up the resource library.

SolarGale likes this.
  12. RavenTDA

RavenTDA just another mask Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Des

I'm not talking about simple recolors or whatever. I'm one of those people that use parts and pieces and textures of those to keep it looking the same. I think Celianna does this with her tilesets if I remember right or at least with some pieces. She had a tutorial on editing a while back ago (not sure if it was on this board) and made an exquisite chandelier using the rtp basket, rope, candles, and jewelry box. The original pieces were unrecognizable. I know I made a wooden horse drawn carriage for my game using wood pieces from Cel just because how many times and people are going to make wood over and over? I also did a large fountain using water animation pieces from the rtp and such. Just was wondering if the companies cared if we borrowed their textures and stuff to keep consistency. I find the issue lies in when doing custom things is that consistency is harder to keep up. It's perhaps better suited for a resource release or member+ then.

Marquise* likes this.
  13. Des

First Language:
    American
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    eh. to me that's still just re-arranging other people's work. it's more frankenspriting than simply editing, but it doesn't seem like something that you have any moral right to sell.

14. Shablo5

Shablo5 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Celianna and Lunarea sell their tilesets and they do have edits from VX in them.

Which makes me wonder (at least for Celianna) how can you sell a license to your tileset commercially but people can't do that here? What's the distinction?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2012
    Marquise*, crimcrim and Des like this.
  15. Des

First Language:
    American
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    yes and i find that disgusting

16. Gomi Boy

Gomi Boy   Veteran

First Language:
    the truth
    Also, VX's resources are explicitly licensed for commercial use by anyone who's bought and is using the program. For the same moral security, you'd need to obtain the same permission of the people whose pieces you're using in the same way.

17. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The tangent about direction and politeness has been split off into another topic Here:

Please do not respond again to this line of discussion in this thread.

18. DaneReid

DaneReid Musician Veteran

I have a question :p If I'm selling music in a package, will I have to copyright it? Or will you guys do that for us?

19. Lunarea

If you wanted or needed to register your music with the copyright office, you could. We don't take your copyright, though. Your work remains copyrighted to you. The contract covers sale, distribution and so on. :)

Marquise* and DaneReid like this.
  20. DaneReid

DaneReid Musician Veteran

So would it be alright if I just didn't copyright my music? I mean if I really have to then I will. I guess it also depends on how serious the developer is as well right?