Offline Hero Collecting RPG

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EGStryker, Jan 1, 2018.

1. EGStryker

EGStryker Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    There are tons of RPG's out there that has this concept especially in online mobile games. Hero collection rpg, personally, is a wonderful idea if done correctly.

Some of you may be familiar with King's Raid which has the same concept. The game lets you choose from wide variety of heroes with limited skills (4 skills but is upgradable. Upgrades doesn't usually just increase damage. It does a lot more than that.) and are different from each other. You get to collect them and build them differently. Some of the heroes are even flexible enough to like build them to be either a tank, a dps or a cc unit. While each heroes differ from each other, the game provides a lot of diversity when it comes to strategy making. And again, personally, I dig this! These are only the few aspects that I like the most about it.

My fascination over this made me think, what if the same concept is to be made using rpg maker while it being an offline hero collecting rpg?

Since one of the fun parts about this kind of game is going up against online opponent, it's going to be a lot different and not as fun. But with proper game contents like a tower with rising dificulty each floors, it's going to make sense challenging players to invest time and build heroes.

So what do you guys think about this idea?

kaukusaki likes this.
  2. richter_h

richter_h Eh? Sweetroll? Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Tell you what. I have made one with similar concepts as you've described. Go search for Eremidia: Dungeon!

It is suspended indefinitely tho but you might catch some points

EDIT: I'll put this link as well to proof my words https://richter-h.itch.io/eremidia-dungeon

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  3. EGStryker

First Language:
    English
    That game just got my whole interest!

How's the game with such concept is faring though?

kaukusaki likes this.
  4. HumanNinjaToo

HumanNinjaToo The Cheerful Pessimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sounds like a good idea to me. Like you said, you need to come up with some way to capture the attention of players. A running theme in those types of games are simple stories and heavy PVP systems. It would be nice to have a game like that that didn't bog down at end game and turn into a pay-to-play scheme.

I think if have some kind of tower, like you mentioned, that generates random levels and can add a lot of variety, you could keep people playing past the main story, keep them invested in the progression part of the game, namely finding all the extra characters.

5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    So far this does not seem to be a conceptual discussion of a mechanic. I'm prepared to move this to 'General Discussion'. However, please note that it should not become a discussion of an individual specific project, but remain more broadly based.

I've moved this thread to General Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

6. richter_h

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Alright, I will make things more general.

The idea is good at first glance, but take note that you have to create a lot of things before actually start making the game
    Why, you may asked? Good heroes are backed up with believeable backstory and balanced skill set. Imbalances and nonsense backstories will make everything cheesy as heck.

On top of that, you have to create a vessel to put or set things fall into places, and make scenarios that enables any and every characters incl. heroes to have generous spotlight time. Hot pot of a lot of many heroes in an offline game is much harder to craft, at least that's according to my experiences.

The story is not always to be light. Grim, dark epic story could be used if you want to--something like Darkest Dungeon. It is all up to you to use any flavor of your liking.

I'd say, this concept has very niche place among other genres. Most of the games with such feature fared well because they incorporated 'gacha system' that hinders players from abusing any part of gameplay to get the entire heroes, also those are online games as you've mentioned.

For offline game with similar feats, I think it would fare not so well...

7. HumanNinjaToo

HumanNinjaToo The Cheerful Pessimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think it depends on how many characters you have in the game, and the direction you have for the game. If you're creating a game that has 50+ characters in it, I don't think it's necessary to provide a backstory for each one. I'd think it to be better to focus on 1-3 main characters in terms of the main story. Set the game up to include a lot of generic character choices when it comes to all those extra characters. Maybe even have some special hidden characters that involve the player having to complete a backstory quest to get them in the roster.

8. EGStryker

First Language:
    English
    @Kes my deepest apologies about that.

@HumanNinjaToo Since it's going to be an offline game, the issue with the pay-to-win is out of the picture. This is also one of the few reasons on why I thought of this concept. That's what throwing most people off.

@richter_h Agreed on making the heroes/units with good backstories. It has the potential to draw people in on building a hero they like the most in terms of personality and background story. Some players may even be attached to them and build them to be their main unit.

What about adding a mechanic wherein you transcend heroes/units to add to that challenge on building characters? Use grindable item resources to upgrade skills and units? It's going to be grind-fest with 40+ characters, but of course will be rewarding. Thoughts?

9. richter_h

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Forgot to mention Suikoden series. Up to 108 playable characters? Why yes...

And yes, true about the backstories and character development. However, some people would be hooked up with certain characters because of things like the aesthetic, usefulness, relatable things between them and the character or at some extents, their fetishes. Granblue Fantasy taught me this a lot.

That means you have to craft every hero to be useful at some points. All-round versatile heroes are lowkey OP heroes and you have to take care of them the most, and those with quirky gimmicks should have their spotlight time assured or else people would stick with only a bunch of heroes rather than using all of them occasionally. Suikoden suffers this so much, y'know.

For heroes upgrade feature, that depends on how you make it viable and valid. Grindable upgrade items are much common in most of games I've played, but if you can do something else, you can experiment on it. Be careful, while some players love grinding, there are some who just get the heroes and forget them afterwards. Extensive testing is required to achieve the balance in this.

10. EGStryker

First Language:
    English
    Lol yes! Aesthetic looks of units/heroes should draw players from using them. I am one of those who looks at how cool the looks of a characters is and nevermind what it can do. Which brings us to having own artstyle for the game. This is the hardest part for me since I'm not that artsy.

Guess I should try things out first before coming up with a conclusion. All this is just part of my planning phase anyway. So I thought why not ask fellow developers and gamers about their thoughts. It's been pretty helpful for me so far, but still open to more ideas and thoughts. Thank you! :D