Oh look, another new person.

Discussion in 'Introductions/Farewells' started by Tim_The_Traveler, Sep 11, 2019 at 12:57 PM.

Tags:
  1. Tim_The_Traveler

Tim_The_Traveler Dweller of life Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Just another small piece of humanity who only recently came with the idea to try out at game making, i have almost no knowledge of how to use RPG Maker (XP) except for making basic maps, but none of the ways to make that map to a game.

other then that, i typically play games and try to do art and experiment with new things to try. i am mainly here in hopes to improve on how to use XP from those who used it before, but also i just hope to meet new people.

That's all for now, if you are curious of anything else, just ask. i'm an open book.

TheNewSon likes this.
  2. TheNewSon

TheNewSon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Hello, Tim! Welcome! :)

I have been using RPG Maker XP since 2006, it's my absolute favorite (even though I'm currently learning my way through MV)! I'm not exactly an expert on XP (shame on me), but feel free to ask me anything and I'll do my best to help you. ;)

Cya around! o/

3. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Hello and welcome fellow XP user. :)

If you have any questions, don't hestitate to ask them in our support forums.

4. Tim_The_Traveler

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I appreciate the offer, i'll keep that in mind. Right now again, all i know is how to make a basic map, but also i learned how to make a character go from one map to the next, and and how to add music and background sounds, but thats really it. i have a lot to learn and i'm open to any bits of knowledge given to me.

sound's like a good plan to peek over there.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2019 at 10:09 PM
  5. ImaginaryVillain

ImaginaryVillain Spawned by Yanfly Forum Spawner Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Welcome! As someone so new to the community I can't say I know anything about XP. But out of curiosity what made you pick that one over the others?

6. Tim_The_Traveler

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    to be fully honest, it was the cheapest one out of them all at the time, and i assumed it had more features and was less complicated then 2003 version.

7. ImaginaryVillain

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Haha, money is always a solid reason. And you're probably right about it having more features since it came about later. Not so sure it's more/less complicated though. These RPG Maker programs seem like they can be made as complicated as you want them to be, no matter the version.

8. Tim_The_Traveler

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    true, but regardless of the version, it still would be a fun trial to learn to create your own games with any of the programs. to create your own stories and characters in a game you make.
    Say, what got you into the idea of trying out in game making?

9. ImaginaryVillain

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Honestly, I got bored one night and someone mentioned a free trial of RPG Maker MV. I thought, hey.. I always wanted to tell a story, sure I'll download it. One week later the Steam Winter Sale happened.... Now I have almost 700 hours according to Steam, and at least some of it isn't the program being left open while I watch Youtube videos. :hswt:

10. Tim_The_Traveler

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Lol, i know what you mean. me it was more of a spontaneous choice. beforehand, i was primarily on art, but after 2 years, i just felt like it was going nowhere, so i was playing a game one day and i thought "what if i made a game" then ironically after updating steam, i found RPG Maker on steams advertising page or whatever its called that pops up when you log in after an update....so i dug a little more and found XP, and i was like "ahh i have enough money, i'll try it out." and after some time thinking and planing, here i am here, to see i can learn and meet people to help me on my new path.

11. ImaginaryVillain

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Art really seems like the best place to get into this from. Music's cheap to acquire, people do so much of the programming already for you, not every RPG has a complicated story so writing can be easy. Art however ends up costing a lot if you don't do it yourself.

12. Tim_The_Traveler

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    True, thou my art is not expert levels, i have good enough skill to start off, but adapting it to a pixelated form would take the right amount of learning and as well to learn to use said still to add to in RPG Maker.

13. ImaginaryVillain

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Haha, well then we're sinking in the same boat. I'm not really an artist, a composer, writer or programmer.... Should be no problem making a game from that right?

Joking aside, I think it's more important that someone find it fun to make one than be good at those things. Enjoying what you do will give you the drive to succeed. Where as just having one of those skills won't necessarily.

14. Tim_The_Traveler

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    yea true bud....anyway, i honestly have no idea what else to say for this topic..
    So what other things do you like to do?

15. ImaginaryVillain

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well I live in caverns under my city. Recently we constructed a new tunnel to a nearby Trader Joe's, the minions are now poor but no correlation was found, also sometimes I look out through a hole to hiss at the sun. It knows what it did. Then I duck back inside and return to pretending I'm an artist, trading Magic cards, this and er... I guess hanging out with people? Yeah there's not enough hours in the day for other stuff. =O

You?

16. Tim_The_Traveler

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    well, on a typical day. I wake up, drink coffee, eat food, play what ever games or watch what ever videos, and if i have any inspiration i'll try to make art unless i spontaneously have an irrational worry of some kind that makes me stop. i'll eat more food, maybe go on a walk, do more game and video, and then night time popcorn, and game and video till i sleep...a really boring and unproductive day honestly so adding game making would be best.