"OK," "Ok," "Okay," "k," or "kk?"

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Clydous, Apr 9, 2014.

1. StanManX

StanManX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Fun fact: The correct spelling is "O.K."*. I learned this when I got it wrong on a spelling test that I didn't study for because I was awesome at spelling. However, since the vast majority of people assume that the two-letter version is the wrong version, I grudgingly spell out "okay" so they don't put me in the same category as people who confuse their homonyms**.

* According to wikipedia, the etymology is contested such that it seems "okay" might be legit as well, in which case I want my grade corrected.

** Not that I mind when people do confuse their homonyms -- it's more annoying when people make lists of grammar mistakes they hate.

My sister and brother-in-law both respond to text messages with "K", and it doesn't bother me, but it can be confusing as to whether I've annoyed them or if they're just trying to indicate that they have read my message.

2. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I'll go with okay or ok or kk... here (at least around the people I know) when they reply with a "k" it can be not so good, it's kinda like okay with a bit of frustration or whatever

3. That Bread

That Bread Veteran Veteran

Word usage in the sense, one uses a slang word to an extent bothers me. Such words include swag, thats a name for a hook or mk for okay. As for OK, Ok, okay, k, and kk I have to admit k and kk annoy me. Why? Simple it offends my ears, just the sound of it annoys me. Will I get mad at someone, no I let anyone talk the way they will. Even if I think its annoying or an offense to themselves. Otherwise I don't mind OK, Ok and okay. They do not offend my ears and rub you off as annoying. I try not to judge by ones speech but by ones actions thats where it counts. This is a personal opinion however, so other people think differently. I know some people think certain words are offensive, much like my sister thought the word ridiculous was an offensive word. Given she was young then, right now I cannot think of a better example.

4. vanillacoke

vanillacoke Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Okie dokie because it's super cool. ;)

Henryetha likes this.
  5. CWells

CWells Storyteller/Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I don't care so long as the person I am communicating with makes a clear effort to show some respect to their language and the rules that accompany it.

6. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I see the use of k or kk as a conversation killer. It basically shows the person doesn't have time to respond in a meaningful way, so there's no point in continuing the conversation.

7. TheRiotInside

TheRiotInside Extra Ordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    On a kind of related note, does anyone else get thrown into a rage when someone says "plz"?

8. echo

echo It's alright. I was drunk too. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The Oxford English Dictionary says it's 'OK', and I'm buggered if I'm going to disagree with them.  That said, I always use 'Ok,' mainly because it seems weird to capitalise the second letter if it's not an acronym, which it technically isn't.  

I hate 'k.'  It reminds me too much of the times I've sent a huge text complete with semi colons and hyphens and some lovable doesn't think it's worth replying to with more than a single letter.

So much hate for 'k.'

9. quoge

quoge Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I use "plz" extremely informally or to be funny. I'm probably looking into it too deeply but the way I see it, most serious instances of the word please are followed by someone requesting a favor, and I'd rather do favors for more deliberate people.

As for OP's question I prefer to hear and use okay, Ok/ok, or Kk when trying to come off as enthusiastic/cutesy. I tend to use "alright" or "sure thing" more. OK in all caps looks odd but I'm not bothered by it. I can't stand just the letter k, it always strikes me as being really dismissive.

10. kj3400

kj3400 Hmph Master Veteran

Baltimore, MD, N America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I use ok. kk irritates me, and I've caught myself using it at times. It's rather dumb, and makes me think someone accidentally hit the k key twice. I use k with one of my friends. We find it funny. Okay is too long for my lazy self, especially if I'm going to type it out.

Usually, however, if I'm responding to someone, or agreeing to do something, I'll say 'alright', or 'sure.'

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  11. Cryptic

Cryptic "professional" game dev and musician Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I most of the time use "ok", "k" or "okay". I normally just use "k" in a talking matter (like messaging someone)

12. Henryetha

Henryetha Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    I like to use "okies" when I'm in a good mood.
    Generally I think, "okay" is fine (and polite).
    When in a hurry, then "k".

13. SpaceBot

SpaceBot Demon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I use "okay" 90% of the time.
    "Kk" to establish I'm ending the conversation or basically like saying "bye"
    "K" I use passive aggressively or if I'm hurt buy someone's previous text.
    Can't say that I ever use "ok", I mostly just prefer "okay" over "ok" because to me "okay" is more phonetic.

Calluses and Knighteriius like this.
  14. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom, Ham of a Hamster Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Idc, k? :p
    In all honesty, this is such a trivial problem for me that I can't be bothered with it. Use k, ok, kk, as long as you don't speak like a pig, I don't mind.

15. M.I.A.

M.I.A. Goofball Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    "Ok" is acceptable. "Kk" is acceptable. "Okay" even though it is formal/proper.. is not acceptable. :)

Although, I also always depends on the context.

16. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    "Ok" = Normal response.
    "Okay"/"Okies"/ ok_hand emote = Friendly response.
    "k" = Hostile response.
    "kk" = Most of the time, it's a normal response, but can be hostile.

17. Calluses

Calluses Bee Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    "k" is me when i'm feeling toxic .
    "ok" is me when i'm an epic gamer .
    "okay" is me when i'm srs and i'm posting my queries on forums.rpgmakerweb.com ! ! ! : @

18. Nectar

Nectar Fried Ore0s Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you reply to me with a "K", I can guarantee you that you won't hear from me again, it sounds so bi**chy... I generally say ''kk'' or okai/okay

19. HayateKung

HayateKung Villager Member

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I normally use Okay, ok. I used to use just k but I read about it somewhere saying that it sounds super lazy and low-effort.

I really agree with this and this is the reason why I always put something like "lol" or laugh at the end of my text, to convey that you are friendly. This applies especially in my language, where it would look a bit funny to scroll through my past texts.

20. SepulcherGeist

SepulcherGeist Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As an author: I'll tell you that in most works of prose, "okay" is preferred, but "OK" is acceptable for some publishers. "OK" is also commonly acceptable in other formats where reading isn't the primary purpose of the item, such as subtitles, music videos, video games, et cetera.

The other forms of "okay" are generally only acceptable in informal avenues, such as online posts or text messages. When using "KK," just be careful to not accidentally hit the K button a third time before hitting "send."