Okay so um, can anyone help me please with this Yanfly Main Menu thing? I want to make a new button!

Discussion in 'Javascript/Plugin Support' started by Vessynessy20, Oct 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vessynessy20

Vessynessy20 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay so I got the Yanfly core engine and Yanfly Main Menu Manager, and I have no clue how to actually use it...but I want to just make a new menu button like, "Item" "Skill" "Equip", in that list you know? I don't know if the Main Menu manager means Main Menu, like the title screen, or if it actually means the player's pause menu with all that stuff in it...

Anyways I want to really badly make a new menu button that when you click on it will let you talk to party members! Like Pokemon Gold with the phone system where you can talk to Professor Elm and Mom and stuff! I know how to make a common event for this, and I did figure out how to bind it to an ITEM to access it...but I REALLY REALLY want to know how to make a new menu button for it instead! I mean if I can't I'll settle for keeping it as an item...but I'd LIKE to make a menu button for it, so you don't have to go down a sub menu or two just to access it all the time. Maybe that's just lazy, but whatever!! Please help?

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You know this only adds the button. Everything that happens when you click the button is up to you to add. Do you have the "talk to party members" stuff in place?

3. Vessynessy20

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I know! I said I already figured out how to make common events for the conversations and I made it accessible through an item! But I want to make a menu button to access it instead. :) I just need help making the button, and making the button point to it or whatever. Like the item does. Everything I want to make happen is already prepared, yessy! :) :)

I tried making this but it doesn't work. It just errors when I open my menu in game. I followed the examples above and below, see? It should work. :(
    Imadethis.JPG Imadethistwo.JPG

EDIT EDIT: Okay I googled and found a YEP Common Event Menu instead, which looks to be more like what I actually want! So I'm going to try messing with that instead of the full Main Menu one...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  4. Vessynessy20

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    WHY ARE THERE NO ACTUAL TUTORIALS FOR THIS STUFF?! All the stupid YANFLY videos on Youtube just read like showing off features, there's no actual in depth help with how to use all the plugin commands and notes and crap! :(

5. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Your attachments show this page
    Error page.png

6. Vessynessy20

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay I fixed that! There's what I tried to do with the Main Menu manager.

7. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
  8. Vessynessy20

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  9. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I don't know. In the video, they did show you can add commands. So, i think this is what your looking for. You may also need a script call to call a common event. I'll look it up and edit it into this post

Edit: This was what i found on common event script calls
    $gameTemp.reserveCommonEvent(n);
    $gameTemp.clearCommonEvent(n);

10. Vessynessy20

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I wish there was just a full on tutorial anywhere...Not even the description thing says anything about what to ACTUALLY DO! It just goes over terms like "name" and "ID" and stuff, but it never ACTUALLY SAYS: "PUT THIS HERE," or "WRITE THIS HERE."

This is so frustrating, this total lack of any actual practical, useful information...

11. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ok, i don't want to help a negative Nancy that plays the victim. Peace out

Shaz likes this.
  12. Vessynessy20

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What? Oh my gosh, why...are you seriously having such a random, extreme reaction out of nowhere like that? I've googled and youtubed and I can't find any solid tutorials, and I just said it frustrates me. What is wrong with you that an expression of frustration makes you go all dramatic calling people "a negative nancy playing the victim"? Don't be mean over an expression of simple emotion. You don't get to go calling people names and "victim playing" over that. Seriously, what the heck? I wasn't even aiming it at YOU, I was just voicing my thoughts about my total lack of successes here with trying to find a tutorial. That's all. Did you take offense at it for some reason?

Apparently saying I'm frustrated with not finding tutorials makes me a "negative nancy" and "victim playing"? Seriously? Screw you. I don't want the help of someone who's going to start name calling over a statement of freaking fact, and an expression of human freaking emotion over that fact.

13. Bex

Bex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I did not use this yet, but here a Tutorial Video of a User that should explain how to set it up.

(No Guarantee that this is the correct Tutorial, but it looks like it)

14. Vessynessy20

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    THANK YOU.

15. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Seriously? Just scroll up the page a bit and see the attitude you're portraying here. This sort of thing is exactly why Yanfly stopped making plugins. And why some people here will just skip your thread because they don't want to deal with the attitude.

I had a quick look through the video and it shows exactly what needs to be done. You haven't done it. Why did you put this.callPCStage1.bind(this) instead of this.callCommonEvent.bind(this) like the video and the instructions say? Change that, to what it's meant to be, and it should work, unless you've done something else wrong.

16. Vessynessy20

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What attitude? Being confused at not knowing what to do? Being frustrated at not knowing what to do? I'm sorry if I'm not smart, SORRY I can't just automatically look at something and instantly figure it all out! Jesus CHRIST. It does NOT show what it needs to do! It was already ON "Callcommonevent" by default. I'm sorry I interpreted that as "Replace Call COMMON EVENT with your event's name". It seemed like the only logical thing to do. Because there are no. fricking INSTRUCTIONS OTHERWISE. No wonder I did something wrong, it doesn't tell you what to do RIGHT to begin with. I thought it was a placeholder!

17. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    MAYBE STOP YELLING AND CALLING THINGS STUPID? THAT ATTITUDE!

Because you can't figure it out, doesn't mean something's wrong with the plugin or the tutorial. Plenty of other people can use it without any problems. I figured out what to do just by looking at the video and taking a quick peek at the instructions. And I don't even use Yanfly's plugins.

Nobody wants to help someone who can't respond without yelling, swearing, or being otherwise abusive. Yanfly is a good plugin writer and very much liked around here. You're not doing yourself any favours with the things you're saying.

This is in the plugin instructions:

That's pretty clear to me. I don't know what tutorial you might want that would be easier to understand.

TheoAllen likes this.
  18. Vessynessy20

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm sorry! I just got this program like, a week ago. I've never even used a plugin before. Sorry I don't know anything about the great YANFLY or their amazing work. Sorry I don't understand how to do anything with this stuff like you can. You have Veteran next to your name. Maybe try remembering not everyone is the same? Okay? I'm brand new to all of this.

Me expressing confusion and frustration isn't any slight against the person, or what they made, okay? Sorry if you think that. I'm just upset. That's. All. I didn't insult the person, and me throwing in "stupid" wasn't even insulting the plugin! I was expressing upset about no tutorials. Seriously, what do you expect me to get from a video with a bunch of images and feature descriptions? Do you know what a tutorial is? That isn't a tutorial. That's all I want.

Not that it even matters now. I figured it out on my own.

Look, the video didn't say: "Keep this thing the same, or change this thing." It didn't say anything. How was I supposed to NOT know that "Call common event" didn't mean "Replace (Common event) with Event ID"? Tell me that. Because that's what I thought it meant. I'm sorry I don't understand this stuff.

If nobody actually explains anything, of course I'm going to screw it up. It's just basic fact of reality, okay?

Thank you though, for previous threads. Goodnight. I'm sorry.

19. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Wow. Archiea must be going through alot, losing her sister and dealing with this kind of treatment
    Also @Vessynessy20 stop gaslighting. Just move on

20. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The video does say, as the very first thing, that it's not an easy plugin to set up.

Being new and not knowing how to do stuff is fine. Jumping at someone when they start asking things and making suggestions is not.

Just remember when you post, that people are here to help, and they generally WANT to help. If you've been struggling with something for some time and not able to figure it out, try not to let your frustration affect the way you respond to them. If you can manage that, they'll be more patient with you, and will hang around trying to help you sort the issue out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.