Old School Modern Tile (Pack 1)

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
Old School Modern Tile Pack 1

This cool retro "old school" set was created by Jason Perry (of final boss blues), and it has tiles and characters that fit the good old Gameboy aesthetic. There are tiles and characters to make several areas: quiet towns, inside homes and dangerous dungeons. This is the first of many sets Jason hopes to create, so check out the details here!

Member+ folks, don't forget your discount right here. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Faerypixel25

Where's Charles Lee!?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It reminds me of the old pokemon gameboy style. :)

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ah, a pixel tileset!  I have absolutely no need for it and yet I want it very much.

Nathanial

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Congrats, Jason!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
while they were in dev i would test the tiles and stuff, and i ended up just using them for my game after a while :V

imo the best part of the tiles would be the caves, i love them so much (see my screenies below)

CAVES

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nice.  Thanks to this release, I'm going to keep an eye on his blog and check out his spriting tutorial.  The pack looks great and I'll pick it up once I have the funds!

West_Winds

Fun guy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is coming to steam yes? :D So many great resources coming out and me without any money!

Lorenze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Aw man, I wish this came a lot sooner! Ah well, I think I'll just wait for the rest of the packs come out before buying.

Looks amazing, though. :D

Kapik

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
I'll be blunt: this looks bad. Makes me wonder why an author of such great spriting tutorials would produce such awful tilesets.  :unsure:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You do understand what retro "old school" and Gameboy aesthetic mean, right? They are not meant to work with the RTP or even look anything like them (so you would certainly not use them with RTP tiles or sprites, or probably most other packs - that is why there's so much in this pack, so you can make a game JUST with these resources).

EvilEagles

Stargazer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
Other
I'll be blunt: this looks bad. Makes me wonder why an author of such great spriting tutorials would produce such awful tilesets.  :unsure:
I'll be blunt: it doesn't. I am a pixel artist myself, and I consider this fairly decent (if not pretty nice). Clearly either you're trying to be a dick about everything we make, or your sense of aesthetics is just really awful.

Nathanial

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Shaz nailed it on the head. The point is to both break away from the RTP, and do something a little more retro feeling.

The set reminds me a lot of the line of Pokemon games from the Game Boy Advance. 

You're not going to want to use this with the RTP. It's a very full set as it is, and there will be more expansions in the future.

I gave a lot of input on the development of this, and watched it grow from just a brain storm into the product it is. :D

djDarkX

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You know, this pack kinda reminds me of Guardian of Paradise in style and execution.  I LOVE that game and although the art designs are different, they are still somewhat similar.  Nathanial had it right about GBA Pokemon, plus hints at other, older GB titles that I've played before.  When I have the chance, I'm totally going to grab this set.  I have some ideas for a retro RPG I've been wanting to make and this just might fit the bill.

@Kapik, quit
ing brah.

It's a good pack, inexpensive and useful.  Wonderful and bright colors and the such.  You don't like it?  You don't have to buy it or even comment on it.

T.Bit

Labyrinth Explorer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How cute! This really takes me back. Ah nostalgia!

ShinGamix

DS Style 4Ever!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
April Fools
Primarily Uses
N/A
My little brother hadn't seen these yet. I corrected that problem. I said these were PIMPIN!

Kapik

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
You do understand what retro "old school" and Gameboy aesthetic mean, right?
Right. It means producing extremely ugly graphics and claiming that's a stylistic choice rather then laziness and lack of talent.

Nathanial

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Right. It means producing extremely ugly graphics and claiming that's a stylistic choice rather then laziness and lack of talent.
Judging from your post history, you seem to do a whole lot of complaining and have a whole lot of hostility towards others creations. "I'll be blunt": take it somewhere else. We don't want it here. It's okay to not like things. It's okay to even express disliking things here. The way you do it is just being a jackass. Consider this your first, and absolute last warning to stop with the hostility.

Kapik

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
I'm not being hostile at all. Just pointing out the truth, as harsh as it may be.

djDarkX

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's not the truth at all.  What's your problem?  Sorry that "retro" doesn't do it for you.  Sorry that all the varous artists can't tailor every pack to YOUR liking.  Grow up and be more constructive in your criticism, not just inflammatory.  Besides, if you want "good" resources, then go make your own and just shut up.

When you can sprite as well any of the major artists here, then please do open your mouth.  Until then, your opinion is just that.  An opinion.

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Kapik, we accept criticism wholeheartedly, but we don't accept people insulting the hard work of others. There's a world of difference between saying "I think these graphics don't look so good because they have a limited palette, and the colours don't work well together." and "producing extremely ugly graphics and claiming that's a stylistic choice rather then laziness and lack of talent.".

No one is being lazy, and no one is lacking any talent. Criticize the style as much as you want, but we won't stand for criticizing the talent and hard work of the artist. So that is the end of this conversation, and anymore posts from you in this thread will get removed and you'll get an official warning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

In medieval times, a common way to eat food was upon edible plates, which were made of bread, called trenchers.
Trauma, drama, llamas--sadly the only one of those things I'm not experiencing RN is the camelids.
Do you ever just write or say nonsense? String together words to make a sentence that sounds pretty but is meaningless?
Writing down my ideas for my next game during break times at work XD I need to finish my current one very soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raio