Old School Modern Tiles - Pack 1 Add-Ons

Discussion in 'General Resources' started by djDarkX, Sep 26, 2013.

Tags:
  1. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    DISCLAIMER: In order to use the custom tiles, you MUST legally own the Old School Modern Tiles (Pack 1) since one of them is an edit of the tiles!  NO EXCEPTIONS!

You're free to use these tiles in a commercial or non-commercial game, but you MUST own the resource pack first and please give me credit for the custom resources provided if you use them!

Hey everyone!  So, many of you have seen my post in the Old School Modern Tiles (Pack 1) thread about tile descriptions for use in Ace to make editing and placing tiles easier due to the nature of the autotiles and how the graphics can be confusing at times.  Well, I have the finalized text files along with some freebie goodies to go with the resource pack (and more will come later).

So, to start, installation of the text files:

1. After copying the resource pack tiles to your game projects Graphics/Tilesets folder, place the text files in there as well

You're done!  Easy, right?  This will display the name of a tile, even if it spans several tiles, at the bottom of the editor.  This is the latest (and hopefully finalized) version of the tile descriptions.  Have at them!

Tile Descriptions for Ace

Now, what goodies could I be talking about.  Well, I noticed that when the pack was released, there was plenty of items to make homes and even a bathroom...but no beds or nightstands!  I was impatient and drew up a bed and nightstand for use with the pack.

All you have to do is open TileD in an image editor and place the nightstand and bed anywhere (remember, the graphics are 2x their original size, so compensate for that!), save and use them.  I personally placed the nightstand under the loose Counter Top tile next to the fridge and the bed rigth under that, next to the beige couch.  Place them however you want, but note that the tile descriptions does NOT contain these tiles are the are not part of the official pack.  You can add them in yourself, however.

Here are the tiles:

Bed

[​IMG]

The bed is completely custom.  Finished it, from start to finish, in about an hour, following the tileset palette restrictions.  The shading is a bit off compared to everything else, but I'll fix it later.

Enjoy!

EDIT:

9/26 - Added a license to the custom tiles.  For Commercial/Non-Commercial only with the resource pack.  Give credit for the custom tiles to me.

4/16 - Thanks to Archeia for making this thread visible again!  Also, nightstand was removed due to it being an edit.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
  2. Traveling Bard

Traveling Bard The Bard Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Nice add-ons and great tech demo btw. I feel like I was watching pokemon, mother 1-2, or robotron game play :) hope people keep feeding more to this pack, might end up making a retro experience myself ;)

3. djDarkX

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks! When I stop being so busy, I'll see what I can do about making new tiles.

4. nate

nate Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    moved to new thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2013
  5. Ruby

Ruby Of the Earth Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You should probably put that in your own thread. Not here.. ^

Great works by the both of you, though.

6. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Unhidden and removed edit. :)

djDarkX likes this.
  7. djDarkX

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Archeia, you are awesome!  Thanks for this and glad now there's one more contribution to the set.

8. nate

nate Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Ugh, I create content for this pack and it gets deleted by Celianna, not hidden or edited, simply deleted. So much for sharing good contributions and such. I feel like this whole community is very stuck up and one sided. I provided some really nice content and I get deleted right away, yet others get hidden and edited only to get allowed later with no reason given. It is bad enough that we get charged for an add-on pack that was obviously incomplete and unfinished and when some of us try to add to it and make it more complete for others we get shunned.

9. djDarkX

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, if it was just edits of the pack, I can see why it had to be hidden/removed, but if it was entirely custom content (none of the original tiles used), then it was a mistake.  They don't want people to provide edited premium content for free which is understandable.  Also, the Old School Modern Tiles pack was never incomplete.  It has more than enough tiles to make a full game with and there was nothing stopping the user from adding their own content to it.

The mistake I made was that I added a nightstand that was, in fact, an edit of the original content, but the bed was not as it was completely original content, thus why this become unhidden.

10. nate

nate Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Mine was completely new content, various furniture items (i.e. bed, chairs, etc...), I was excited to share and be a part of this community. Not so much now. If this is the way they treat new people bringing in new content then I do not want to have any part of it.  The Old School Modern pack is VERY incomplete, hell just the fact that it is missing simple items, such as a bed, shows how incomplete it is. They should have never charged as much as they did for that pack, or at least disclosed all the items that were/were not included.

Like I said, the mods here seem to be very cliquey, and if you are not a part of their clique then your content is not welcome here...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2014
  11. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Nate, if you have a problem with how the moderators handled something, you can talk to them about it in PM or talk to the moderator in charge of them. This is explained in the forum's rules. Most likely it was hidden or deleted (you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, it's a moderator thing) because it was an edit of a store pack, which isn't allowed. Please don't derail the topic with this and follow the rules if you have a complaint. If you continue to argue about it here your posts will be deleted.

As for an explanation of why things got hidden and unhidden in this thread, that's between us and djDarkX. He knows why it happened the way it did and is fine with it.

Edit: Took too long to post this. Nate, if your stuff was all original you can probably appeal to get it unhidden.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2014
    djDarkX likes this.