Old School Music Thread!

Simalono

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So I kind of wanting a sharing, discussion, and critique of my old school influenced music. As I don't really see a lot of people here making music that reminds me of an RPG at all. I hope there's no offense taken by that but a lot of stuff on here really doesn't feel like video game music. No I don't just mean by using 8-bit sounds and stuff just I dunno (but that is definitely welcome), so I would love feed back of the songs I'll post to start and I would LOVE to hear other peoples old school inspired stuff.

Really I just want to hear what everyone's got sharing is definitely welcome. If I am posting this and somebody has a similar thread I somehow missed that's cool to just direct me to the right place lol. If you for some reason want to use my tracks just lemme know and I can make them downloadable or something. I'm not too worried, it's all for fun.

So lets hear what ya got!

I made this dancing guy in 30 minutes just to dance to the songs I guess lol I dunno.

Also maybe share your dancing guys...

Benja

Lead Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you want a critique of these tracks, I'll review them with what little musical knowledge I hold.

Track 1

The beginning of the song is very abrasive, that strange guitar instrument in the background overpowers the rest of the instruments, but once it fades back a bit, you've got a jumpy classic RPG fight song. Pretty good, just tone back the beginning, and those guitar-thing solos

Track 2

A simple bouncy beat, sounds like I would hear it in a shop or merchant of some sort. Simple, yet fun.

One reservation I have; if these two tracks are from the same game, I hate to say that they aren't cohesive. They both have a different kind of style to them.

Overall, pretty good!

Simalono

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I definitely agree with the abrasive start. I think if I maybe just totally changed the instruments to something with a softer sound or something. It was really my first time trying that sort of style and I just honestly fell in love with the basslines haha. So note taken, thank you!

Also nah definitely not for the same game, these are kind of just stock at the moment since I released them (took them my piles of songs on my pc) and put them online. Cause yeah you wouldn't be wrong saying they aren't cohesive, unless somehow the first game had a flashback to simpler times or something and I used that song to simulate how things used to be 8bit or something haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I think I've created a monster.
...and I love it. <3
Today represents my one year anniversary of throwing out the tile map. :LZSexcite: One year ago my game looked like...

And now for those that don't know, it looks like..

What a year, what a year indeed. RIP Tile Map, nobody misses you. :LZSwink:
There is now a demo released for [Beyond the Mirror]! Check the team recruitment thread to learn more!
'Tis the season to see shipping prices and go 'Yikes'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UGANDAN_KNUCKLES