Older makers are getting end of support. What does this imply?

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
From the official JP twitter

And the blog

And from the google translate
In addition, we are making adjustments so that games produced with the relevant title can be distributed without user registration.
This is a rough translation, but I would assume that the "games" means the software.
Maybe someone with a better JP language could translate it better.
They seem to be updating the TOS later in the future.

Does this mean that the engines will be free and will not require an activation?
Does this also mean that we can also reverse engineer the .dll file that is previously protected by EULA?
Will anything change from the Degica side (such as ending the support ticket from the older makers)?
What are other possible implications of this?

watermark

Waiting for that RM vibe to come back.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Actually, it might be nice if these older makers became open source, since they aren't being supported anymore.

The VX stuff can be a great way for someone to learn Ruby for example.

RM2K and 2k3 can be great free software for beginner programmers to start without paying anything. It's more free publicity for the general brand. Then pay for the MZ version for example. It's essentially like how we old schoolers started out with Don Miguel, except without the pirating guilt part. (btw I DID eventually pay for all of them, so I'm guilt free. :))

Look at Unity. One of the reasons it became so popular was because it was essentially free. And they didn't give away a lame demo, but rather the (mostly) full version. Then if you wanted to get serious, you pay for the pro account seats. I don't think it would be a bad thing if RM tried something like that.

Nenen

Untested RPG storyteller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'd like to add a specific question to this.

Would the RPGmakerweb forums have any changes regarding the 'lack of support' for older makers?

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Does this mean that the engines will be free and will not require an activation?
Does this also mean that we can also reverse engineer the .dll file that is previously protected by EULA?
Will anything change from the Degica side (such as ending the support ticket from the older makers)?
What are other possible implications of this?

The EULA will still apply and nothing will change. It's just Japanese activation for RPG Maker requires you to register your information to use the software. The English one only requires email and activation key. It does not give you extreme freedom all of a sudden.

Actually, it might be nice if these older makers became open source, since they aren't being supported anymore.

This will never happen. It just puts software on legacy mode similar to RPG Maker 2000 and 2003 right now.

I'd like to add a specific question to this.

Would the RPGmakerweb forums have any changes regarding the 'lack of support' for older makers?

If they get removed from the store they will also get removed from the forum. We'd probably make an archive board.

Last edited:

Jomarcenter

jomarcenter-MJM
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENGLISH
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The EULA will still apply and nothing will change. It's just Japanese activation for RPG Maker requires you to register your information to use the software. The English one only requires email and activation key. It does not give you extreme freedom all of a sudden.
SO basically they just getting rid of the personal information portion of the registration?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I managed to review my previous lessons on Learn MV and fixed a lot of things. Yay! :kaopride:
I've decided "Attack on Equestria" should be released first... hence this new ARG channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClKiUI8xOVx9dsF4kRXUmxw
Check it out, and subscribe! The ARG will lead up to the video game. It's not a creepy game, but I just thought it should follow ARG standards.
For anyone interested in my project M - i finally made a gamethread about it :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arsyloth