OldPat's Art & Stuff

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by OldPat, Dec 28, 2015.

1. OldPat

OldPat Game Designer / Storywriter / Character Designer Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi, everyone!

I wanted to post here some of my artworks. Drawings and things like that mostly.

I'm still a novice, so any advices and/or critiques will be highly appreciated.

I'll start with a quick sketch that took me forever because I, stupid me, started to add details like a mad man.

The result is a drawing with some flaws here and there. Hope you'll like it anyway.

Merry Late Christmas, btw, ehr:

[​IMG]
    Direct link: http://i68.tinypic.com/4ue0t2.png

Also this one, a collage of artworks representing OCs from my last game project:

[​IMG]
    Direct link: http://i67.tinypic.com/ab154g.png

Consider visiting my dA too! http://ssafropat.deviantart.com

Thanks in advance if you want to support.^^

I just want to get better at doing this.

More to come soon.

See ya!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2015
  2. Cadh20000

Cadh20000 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Nice! WAY better than my humans, except when doing 3D sculpts in Sculptris, or using Fuse(once again 3D).

The dA "watch" from C-Hillman is me.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2015
    OldPat likes this.
  3. OldPat

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks, Cadh! For the watch aswell.^^

Pretty neat 3D model you've got there. Watching back!

4. Cadh20000

First Language:
    English
  5. OldPat

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I actually used Sculptris a very long time ago, just for a short while though. And I totally sucked. xDDD

Fuse, on the other hand... I don't know what it is.

I may try and work hard to make something with them one of these days, since I really want to sculpt something for a change. I could use your advices. :)

Thanks!

Btw, I'll just leave another artwork here. This is a really old one:

[​IMG]
    Direct Link: http://img13.deviantart.net/e93c/i/2015/105/d/3/street_wanderers___concept_art__3_s_r__by_ssafropat-d8874h0.png

captainproton and Mihel like this.
  6. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If THAT is novice, then what can you call me, that I can't draw a stick figure? :p

Gee I really SUCK at drawing. You don't. I am NOT a passive aggressive random idiot, that will claw your face. Whatever I am gonna say is my thoughts and feedback on your artwork and I express them because you requested feedback. So if something will sound unpleasant, please keep in mind I have good intentions.

First off I like your style. It is like Cyberpunk anime with a gothic splash. Something like Ghost in the Shell or Persona meets White Wolf's  World of Darkness.

You did a great job hiding 3 of the four hand in the first picture. Hands are the hardest to draw. It seems you really had some hardship on the girl's hand too. Smart move to add a glove but I still can sense that there is something weird going on near the thumb. ;)

The hair on the first picture is not my cup of tea. It's not bad, just not how I PERSONALLY would wanna see hair drawn.

On the second picture though, the faces and the hair are stunning.

Actually the whole design of the picture is really strong.

A crowd present by the shadows on the bottom right, people with masks, that might be significant for the scenario, I take it as this is a cover for a game you make, I see your signature giving me hints.

Four distinct important people, and a fifth face that might be mysteriously related to them (the transparent one that has the city through the face. That mysterious face might be the evil final boss, or we might have a twist or better understanding for her. She is more like an anti-hero that an evil person as I can feel her from your drawing.

I really like the colors you picked and the whole setting. The city is also nice and I can feel that it took you some time to achieve that harmony of transparent layered pictures. The only thing that bugs me on the second picture is that the second lady from the left has half of her body visible (transparent, but the rest of her body is missing and the first girl's hair does not cover the void. It's only city there. I am sure you intended that to be like this, but take a good look at it and tell me. Doesn't that "void" hurts the whole consistency of the flow from left to right? Why not putting the rest of her body threre, same transparency with the rest and keep it as a solid flow from a character to another. ;)

You did a lot of work and you deserve at least a "well done" on making an interesting cover.

You might be novice, but you are really on a good way. I mean, I like the second picture a lot. And probably I could never do better than you. So wes, well done from me.

I was as honest as I could be, these are my thoughts, I hope this can help you improve your skills, I am not an expert on drawing and editting, but I as a person that can appreciate beauty on art, I can share my opinon. :)

OldPat likes this.
  7. OldPat

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thank you SO much for your feedback, Dreadshadow!

You don't know how much useful advices like yours are to me.^^

Sometimes I like to test out new way of drawing hair (or other things in general, I'm in a bit of an experimental phase). For example, as you pointed out, I used a different approach with hair in the second artwork.

I'm currently digging this style of hair a lot.

Although, yea, they are not that good in this one.

I'll just leave another artwork I made in which I used the same style for hair (I seriously need to stop posting artworks for today! xD):

[​IMG]
    Direct Link: http://pre06.deviantart.net/9c1c/th/pre/f/2015/354/3/8/karma_flow___anabelle_s_torments_by_ssafropat-d9krz6b.png

They are waaaay better here. But perhaps not good enough anyway.^^'' I dunno. xD

Yea! I kinda screwed up the hand in this one. xD It was supposed to be a quick sketch, so I just went full "random". xDDD

But I'm not skilled enough in drawing hands to do something like that. They are still pretty though to draw for me. :S

You got it right. I'm leaving hints practically everywhere. xDDD

I'll try to post unrelated artworks from here on out too, no worries. xD

The feeling is quite correct. ;)

And yea, now that you mention it, that void could've been... aVOIDed. *Puts on sunglasses* xDDDD

No, ok. Joking aside, you're right. Didn't even noticed this small detail.

Thank you again. This helped me a lot.^^

Mihel and Dreadshadow like this.
  8. Cadh20000

First Language:
    English
    Fuse is what the two you faved were made in, it can even auto-rig them in preparation for animation in a minute or two, instead of having to do it yourself over the course of hours or even days, and export them for use in other programs like Maya, ZBrush, or Blender. The auto-rigging aspect does have a problem with characters that have very short necks though(my dwarf got the point of his chin anchored to his collarbone so the bottom part of his face stretched when he turned his head... DX).

9. OldPat

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Auto-rigging! God, that would help! Rigging characters really make me want to throw my PC out of the window. xDD

I tried to make two games with Unity 3D and Blender, and the rigging part was one of the reason why I decided to get back to 2D games. xD

Cadh20000 likes this.
  10. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I wouldn't sell yourself short by calling yourself a novice - you have a REALLY great grasp of a lot of basics that a novice wouldn't have. Your anatomy and understanding of 'where stuff goes on a face' are great and your composition and vision for the second picture you showed in the first post are really ambitious and it comes together nicely. That's probably my favourite picture of yours looking here and skimming your more recent posts of DevArt.

Where your art does show it's weakness though is in composition and lighting. (though, again, the composition on that second image is fantastic) Most of your images seem to put the focus of the image right at the very center or along the center, and while that is indeed EASIER it isn't always the most interesting. The Rule of Thirds is a photography thing, but when you start applying it to your art, you'll see it can make a huge difference in the overall impact your image has at a first glance. (Sorry apparently that site has an enormous banner right now.) Practice it a few times - draw the grid out literally and try to run all the most important aspects along the lines. It's a very interesting experiment. (Also, that image of yours I like the best already has this going on!)

In terms of shading, it looks like you do your shading with black and white for the most part; your newest picture at the very top shows you starting to experiment with moving away from that and that's good! though the highlights are still white.

Black and white shading mmm isn't very good. Especially against colourful backgrounds and characters; they work conspire together kill the tone. Let's talk about that last picture first - the one with the lady singing. Her background suggests that there are red, purple, and yellow lights behind her, and it shows on the sax players as well - yet she is completely unaffected by these lights. Instead, both the colours of her highlights and the direction of them are suggesting that there are white lights on either side of her. Imagine for a second how this would look if she was entirely backlit by the lights behind her? That would look slick! And it would make for a coherent colour scheme for the entire image and really drive the atmosphere home. As it stands now, it's like looking at two different pictures.

Next, that image with the character falling out of the airship. In this one, the light source seems confusing for the viewer. The background shows us that the sky is lighter below her, so the sun is probably there. The harsh white highlight on the airship's bottom also lends to this - but there's those dark clouds! And the fact that the person falling has highlights coming from all over. There looks like falling fire with the character as well? And while those seem to cast some highlights, they again don't feel consistent and since mostly everything is highlighted and shaded with black and white - nothing pulls together. (Man, that pose is awesome though. A++ on the character in that one. It's a shame the lighting doesn't tie the piece together because everything else is pretty tight.)

The first picture suffers from the same confused light source. There's highlights coming from every direction and it's very confusing on the viewer.

The second picture - here's one of those exceptions, where the black and white shading on the central figure really works. It sets her apart from the rest of the piece and the dramatic sharpness of white highlights draws the viewers eyes to her. However, the background characters could use a stronger sense of unity. particularly the three along the top. They are all placed with a similar level of importance to the piece - yet they feel like they were all pulled from different images. Each of them has a different shading style, and 2/3 don't pull the background colour through the image as nice as that girl on the left does. It makes that corner of the image a little jarring.

uah! Sorry that's a lot of words! I really hope some of it is helpful. Overall your work is very lovely and shows a lot of strengths. It'll be fascinating to see how it'll look in a couple more years. Happy drawing!

OldPat and Dreadshadow like this.
  11. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Direct Link: http://pre06.deviantart.net/9c1c/th/pre/f/2015/354/3/8/karma_flow___anabelle_s_torments_by_ssafropat-d9krz6b.png

They are waaaay better here. But perhaps not good enough anyway.^^'' I dunno. xD
    The hair? I like them. No seriously I really like them. And seriously, about the whole picture, the coloring and the atmosphere is amazing. I can feel being in the place she is singing.

By the way, she reminds me of Red. You know, the main character from Transistor.

OldPat likes this.
  12. OldPat

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Makio-Kuta:

The fact is that I'm almost never fully satisfied with my own art (with very few exceptions, like the artwork: "Anabelle's Torments" (the lady singing)) .
    It's like I get super excited at first, and as I polish and polish it, I grow to dislike it.

No, not dislike it, because I like all of my artwork (I mean, they always mean something) but... I dunno, they seem to be missing something. Something that would make them "UOAH!". Y'know? xD

And I keep on following artists which are so dayum good that they make me reconsider calling my drawings "Art" when there's THAT KIND of Art around. xD

They do give me the will to go on, though, and ispire me a lot. :)

By the way, I saw some of your artworks and YOU are one of those artists. ARGH! xD

You're really good. :) Do you have some sort of dA from which I can follow you?

I knew about the Rule of the Thirds but I... actually forgot about it and never even considered paying full attention to this rule while making my artworks. I think I should give this a shot.

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid black and white shading as much as possible, recently. As for the lady singing, I had feared that casting those lights on her would result on her being too colorful. She had to be as "dark" and "gloomy" as possible. At the same time, though, I wanted a more colorful background. And that's me being stupid. xDDDD

But I thought that would've better expressed her "negative feelings".

That Christmas sketch is... kind of a mess. xD

I'm glad the second picture was good even in composition. I'm really satisfied with that one. :) Although the exception you pointed out is totally legit. :S

Thank you too for this ultra useful feedback, Makio. I'm really, really glad. ^^

Also glad to know that this artworks aren't all that bad looking.

@Dreadshadow:

Red <3

Well, they both are good singers. :D

Glad you like the new artwork. ^^

Dreadshadow and Cadh20000 like this.
  13. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Don't worry! This is how everyone feels, but as long as you apply those feelings towards growth, then you're headed in the right direction. Even if it doesn't always feel that way. :) As long as your artworks are expressing your ideas and your emotions - then it's art by my books. (though everyone defines 'art' differently.) It takes a lot to build up confidence in your ability, but remember that your own satisfaction is a drive to get better! And to cling to that drive at all times.

I think with the singing lady if you had shaded her with blues and purples and then just done back lits with the colours, it still would have had the emotion, but I can understand being leery of that! (here's a picture I've done with similar lighting and not the exact same mood, but still a melancholy one: LINK Backlighting is fun to play with - and the bright colours don't ruin the mood, but they do help carry the atmosphere. and another [LINK] just to show that sometimes bright colours can actually help establish the mood overall!)

Also, thank you! :> I have a devArt but I don't update it anymore. I'm more active on tumblr and twitter though neither is solely dedicated to my art. Perhaps I should make a side blog that is... ha

Glad you found my words helpful~

OldPat likes this.
  14. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    as someone who learned from long time I also always learn new thing's and feel like I am a noob xD

so noooo you are not a beginner! you have good grasp c: ! 

#toMuchLazyForWallOfText

OldPat likes this.
  15. OldPat

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Makio: Those two artworks are really good! Yeeeeeea, perhaps those light could've worked!^^''

I'm not on tumblr or twitter unfortunately. ;\ I suppose I'll just keep track of your work here on the forum.

@Nio: Lol, it's okay. Thank you too! xD

16. Cadh20000

First Language:
    English
    Lol, I know that feeling all too well!

"Isbjorg", "queenofeagles", "Agaave", and many more... Speaking of whom, Agaave and queenofeagles are both nice people to chat with, though Agaave is busy enough it takes a while for her to get back to you. Isbjorg on the other hand tends to be abrupt and rather gruff, though if you're old friends she'll open up. Just don't ask her for any requests or she'll get annoyed(she only does paid commissions, expensive ones, though her talent, skill, and style are worth it if you have the money.)

Hey, a good group on dA you might like is called "Improvement-Club", it is all about the members giving and recieving advice, tips, and tricks for improving their art. You have to put in the "Artist Comment"/description on a piece what exactly you are looking to improve about it or it won't be accepted. They just ask that you go through the gallery to find one that is asking for advice and give it the best advice you can. (Their rules are here if you are interested.)

OldPat likes this.
  17. OldPat

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Those three are really really good! Imma watch them all. 8D

Also signed up to that group, although I much prefer feedbacks than having my art being directly corrected by someone else. Dunno, we'll see.

Thank you again, Cadh!

Cadh20000 likes this.
  18. Cadh20000

First Language:
    English
    Have fun! ^_^

OldPat likes this.
  19. OldPat

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Dreadshadow likes this.
  20. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]
    Hands is what seems weird only. You got the talent and you got the gift to master everything though!

The question is, do you have the passion? I think you do.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2015
    OldPat likes this.