Olivia Switching to Paid Plugins

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OmnislashXX, Nov 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Tags:
  1. OmnislashXX

OmnislashXX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It seems as if Yanfly talking about Fallen Angel Olivia switching to paid plugins. While I understand the need for cash, I really wonder just how smart of a business move that actually is. Oh well, I suppose.

Edited for Corrections.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I think it might be due to all the support demands they got for their plug-ins. At one point Yanfly said they were putting 90 hours a week between coding new plug-ins and the bug submissions, and 99% of the bug submission were not really bugs but people not reading directions.

In fact, I think that is why you have to be a Pateron now to submit bugs, to weed out the bad submissions. I don't agree with it, but I'm sure before they did that they were spending a good 10 - 20 hours wading through them only to find one real bug in the list.

Edit: You might want to re-read the announcement. It's Olivia that is going to paid plug-ins, not Yanfly. And it appears to be just the octopath traveler plug-ins that are affected.

3. OmnislashXX

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Leave it to people to ruin a good thing. I appreciate Yanfly but I really don't know how much I would pay for things.

Edit: Yeah. Olivia's stuff has been payed stuff anyways. Which I really can't understand, since someone will probably make free versions regardless.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  4. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The same thing happened with Ace. Eventually Yanfly just put them up as-is, and you were on your own to fix bugs. In fact, I had t fix one bug in one of their old ACE Scripts as it was looping through n states n^2 times as they used a double nested for loop when only one was called for, causing some weird effects.

5. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    It's not Yanfly, it's Olivia.

6. LTN Games

LTN Games Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's understandable, a lot of hours go into developing plugins and to keep them updated. On the other hand there is plenty of free plugins out there to be used. I have quite a few plugins i developed 100% fee with MIT license, most need to be updated but they soon will be, for now I've been told they work fine. Take a look here to see a list of available ones. https://ltngames.gitlab.io/plugins/mv-plugins/
    Also don't forget to keep an eye out for new plugins developed by me and many other awesome plugin devs in the JavaScript plugin sub forums.

Shake0615 and Shaz like this.
  7. Tea's Jams

Tea's Jams Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That title is spreading some serious false info, I would consider revising it. If it were mine I would at least.

Aloe Guvner and OnslaughtSupply like this.
  8. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It was because they misread the post. I made a change of the title to make it more accurate.

Tea's Jams likes this.
  9. OmnislashXX

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I apologize for the misunderstanding, I read it off Yanfly's Homepage so I thought he meant Yanfly's plugins.My bad.

Iqus and LTN Games like this.
  10. LTN Games

LTN Games Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Respect the developers wishes please, plugin development is serious work and takes a lot of time and energy for not just coding but also maintaining, keeping up to date with standards, improving performance, ensuring steady FPS and platform compatibiltyc, along with creating demos, documentation and some serious wrist cramps and sore backs for sitting hours at a computer so they can supply the community with functionality that would otherwise be unavailable to you. Just saying, the price of these plugins are nothing compared to what they do to create these plugins .Olivia could've made thousands of dollars developing these as commissions and the price she has set is very worth it. Cheers :smile:

Shake0615 and Aloe Guvner like this.
  11. Iqus

Iqus inVictor Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It is because of users that fail to appreciate what programmers such as Yanfly or Olivia are doing that things like this happen. How many more SRDudes, Himes or Galvs do we have to lose until people cease this selfish behaviour?

12. punchybot

punchybot Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm okay with this. The plugin is awesome. I put money down on it anyway.

Please support those who provide for this community. Anything helps.

Tea's Jams likes this.
  13. OmnislashXX

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I guess I took things for granted. Olivia isn't really a bad influence. Had I known the kind of abuse these people take, I would have chosen my words a lot better. Olivia has every right to charge for her work.

Dezue likes this.
  14. Isabella Ava

Isabella Ava Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Lol if Yanfly ever switch to Paid Plugin, many people will cry (include me (˃̩̩̥ɷ˂̩̩̥))

OmnislashXX likes this.
  15. D.L. Yomegami

D.L. Yomegami Sanely Insane Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    At first, I thought this was something of a jerk move, because I really don't take well to creators suddenly locking formerly free content behind paywalls for any reason. In this case, it's understandable but still a classic case of "why we can't have nice things," and to be honest Olivia somewhat came off as selfish in her reasoning.

Now that I've had some time to think it over...well, I still think it's somewhat of a jerk move, but less of one. To my understanding, plugins take just as much work to create as a sprite, a battler, music, etc. People charge for art resources all the time. How is charging for a plugin any different from charging for a pack of artwork? Maybe my initial frustration was just because a lot of plugin creators make their plugins free (including Yanfly's entire library; they get their money from Patreon as far as I can tell) and that kind of spoiled me.

So while I'm not planning on actually buying anything from Olivia for the time being or using anything she made that I downloaded before this decision was made, I respect her decision on the matter and wish her best of luck on her future endeavors.

16. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    True (though it really depends on the plugin - some are easy/fast, others are complex/slow to make), but also consider this: How many artists and musicians get requests from everyone who uses their resources asking "can you add this", "can you make it do this", "I'm using this other resource, can you make it compatible with that"? That happens all the time with plugin creators. And how many artists and musicians have to check their resources every time there's an update to the engine to make sure they still work?

Not downplaying the time and effort it requires to make art or music (IMO, coding is less effort), but a plugin is never really finished, as long as you want it to continue being useful to people.

Aloe Guvner, Lorenze, Archeia and 4 others like this.
  17. Iqus

Iqus inVictor Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Can you imagine having someone saying this?:

"hey, your horror theme doesn't work with my haunted house bgs/vibe/tilesets. Your theme is broken."

Because that happens all the time with scripters.

Hyouryuu-Na, Shaz and OmnislashXX like this.
  18. OmnislashXX

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If my stroke had not of happened, I would have probably visited Yanfly's Patreon Page at some point to make a donation, simply as thanks for how much better he's made RPGMAKER. Note, that at some point, when I'm not so disabled and working again, I will still do so.

Parallax Panda likes this.
  19. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @OmnislashXX : Understandable. I'm hoping once my medical bills are all paid off (the current ones are but I got one more follow up part to the surgery left which I'll owe $$$ on that too) I'm hoping to do a one time donation to Yanfly's page, just to pay them for their plug-ins.

20. OmnislashXX

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @bgillisp These hospital bills are just ridiculous. Thank God for Health insurance. Not sure how long I'll be working until I clear it all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.