OmnislashXX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Alright. It seems as if I have some time on my hands while I recover from this stroke. While I'm still developing my own game, it'll be nice to take a break and play some games. So, with that being said, I'm going to post some of my reviews on here. I'm not taking requests to review your game, because I don't wish to be bogged down with a list I'll have little hope of finishing. But I will play some games, so check back here to see if I played yours. If you listed your game in the Secret Santa Thread, I'll most likely play it.
I'll be rating games on four factors: Storyline, Controls(Battles), Presentation( artwork) and Fun Factor. Finally I'll give you my overall rating which will be shared on itch.io.
If my handicap prevents me from playing your game properly, I'll put it aside to give to someone else to review.
Good luck!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
General Discussion is not for reviews. I'm trying to establish where the best place for all the IGMC related threads is.

Until then, I shall have to close this.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Now that we've had a chance to discuss it, this is what has been decided as being the most straightforward and quickest/easiest to implement.

Multiple review threads go in 'Let's Play'
Single reviews go in the particular game's page.

[mod]I am, therefore, re-opening this thread and moving this.[/mod]

TheLastYuriSamurai

TheLastYuriSamurai
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you'd like to try out a village simulator with fishing, farming, fighting, ect. feel free to try out my game! (Or wait until it's your turn on the secret santa thread, but seeing no responses here I figured I'd be your first!!)
https://thelastyurisamurai.itch.io/monster-village

screenshot.png questjournal.png
(I hope you feel better by the way, try not to strain yourself too much ok?)

OmnislashXX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Great. Thank you. I'll putting my reviews here.
Title: Our Adventure
Link: https://zelgadis85.itch.io/igmc18
Done by Zelgadis85 and punamaagi
RPG

Storyline: You and your sister go out to become adventurers. Adventurers all seem to come from all walks of life, but all want gold and glory. Also, there seems to be some evil force somewhere. It's a pretty average storyline. You need to name both your character and yourself. The other adventurers you get on your party don't talk either and are just random dudes, so don't expect much from them either. The town is pretty active, so you'll get most of the storylines from the people you talk with.

Controls: Pretty much standard stuff. You needs to choose from a list of things to do in town, from shopping, to resting and of course the quests. The battles were pretty difficult starting out. I played the game on normal difficulty, which gave you a handicap if you died. Unfortunately, my sister died a lot, and the others weren't as hard to take down either. Perhaps I needed a healer, but random battles shouldn't take that much out of you at the start of the adventure. You choose the class for each of your two characters, which is fine, but when your mage is getting curb stomped with one hit, maybe it's time to test the difficulty.

Presentation: Some good artwork for the intro and the town you enter. RTP for the most part, when you get into dungeons. There are some imported battlers. The game looks and feels ok.

Fun Factor: This was an average game for me, mostly. The artwork was charming, but the battle system works against it.

Rating: 3

Title: Abyss of Oblivion
Developer: hadecynn

Storyline: Have you ever stumbled across a storyline and need to know how it ends? That's what you feel in Abyss of Oblivion. The tale starts off simply enough. You are a young girl named Evelyn, exploring a creepy cave with your fairy comrade, Oria. And then you get this cutscene that shows just how devastating a curse was put upon you. The fairy is also your sister? There's not much that is revealed yet, but the reason you are in this abyss is justified. As you delve deeper, you'll be looking for more.

Controls: The main interface is the battles and here you are given a pretty intense tutorial. You may need to run the game again to get it all, but that's ok. The tutorials are divided up as you go, so you are given the chance to learn while you play. Your fairy friend turn into several weapons, which you can switch out as you go, as there are hotkeys that allow this. Of course, I probably would have liked to do this mid-battle, but I digress. You'll collect orbs for experience and abilities and them permanently learn them later on. There are regular enemies and bosses, all encountered on the map. You have a timer and must clear 10 floors before continuing. I really don't know why there is a timer, as the monsters can be hard.

Presentation: While the map is mainly FSM map tiles and RTP sprites, you can tell some work was put into this. The menu has been completely reworked, giving a clean, fresh look. There are few options, but enough not to confuse you too much. The monsters all run around the dungeon in black cloaks, so you don't have any idea what you are fighting until you engage it. The bosses are the same, except they stand still and have red cloaks. This is a pretty game, though.

Fun Factor: Once you get past all the tutorials, the game is pretty fun. It lacks a save feature though, so unfortunately I don't see many players finishing it. There is also a handicap for dying- losing experience and a random ability. I myself prefer progress over these types of games, but that doesn't mean I can't see other players enjoying it.

Rating: 5

Last edited:

OmnislashXX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Once again, I am not taking requests.

Title: Rise of the Pharoah
Developer: tome571
Link: https://tome571.itch.io/rise-of-the-pharaoh

Storyline: The Pharoah is dead and lawlessness as spread over the realm. The gods have each chosen a champion to represent them and become the new ruler. Depending on which god you choose, will affect your stats. I guess, I'm not really sure. The story is simple and gives you a goal to complete. Fun.

Controls: From what little I saw, the battle system was above average. You need to time your attacks just right on a dial. As long as your at least stopping it, you'll be hitting the target. However, those kinds of timing systems are best used for Skills and Special attacks. For the main attack feature, it's just best to leave it as is. This is an ATB battle system, so the monsters will wail away on you while you figure out which skill to use. And with no real way to heal, it won't be long before you're calling it quits.

That aside, you will be visiting each deity's temple and they all have the requirement of finishing exploring it before leaving. But the dungeons are random and there are many puzzles that you only have one try at solving. Add the random encounters and you may see the problem.

Presentation: Tall sprites are used and the Egyptian theme implemented. It looks pretty nice and polished. The town you start in is certainly active and the pathways are clear and accessible. There is no world map, but the overall selection screen of the temples makes it look as though you're traveling to each. Your character is a nameless, red haired, girl, who is known as "Champion". In truth, I think this is a detriment, as you should be able to choose a gender, along with an appearance and a name. Oh course, who knows, maybe the earlier choices actually does that.

Fun Factor: I truthfully did not play this game too long. Once I got to the dungeons, I was faced with many dead ends, with no hope of healing and a constant stream of enemies. The game has potential, so I'm not going to write this one off completely.

Rating: 4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Anyone else find it amusing that people watch videos of tragedy and then try to take the "moral high ground" by having sympathy for the victims? Dude, you watched the tragedy for the same reason everyone else. People being injured is an instinctive human curiosity.
Say, does anyone know any other indie game development forums? Progress on my uni survey has been a little slow, so I wanna look into posting it around a bit more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LordPenguin666