Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
After deliberation behind scenes, we have decided that there is too much potential problems with AI generated art to allow it to be posted in the Resource sections of the site.

The technology is amazing and interesting, but right now the majority of the AI art sites out there have learned by being fed tons and tons of copyrighted images, and that will often bleed through in what is created.

This is not a judgment about whether you yourself should use them, until there is some legal court decision based on it we have no idea how things are going to fall legally, and ethically, that is up to you, yourself to decide.

But, that does mean that we don't want to allow AI generated images to be presented as ready to use resources on our site.

Thank you.

Enigman

Regular
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I agree with this decision. I have seen background art for sale on a few sites that have been Machine Learning generated and there were one or two where I had recognised components from artists such as H.R Giger. It is going to be a legal minefield for a while before the dust settles.

Ouro

Regular
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is fine, regardless of your position on the matter of AI Art as a whole. Whether you want to use this kind of stuff for your games or not, there's no reason for AI-generated products to be posted as a resource since anyone can make them. Anyone who wants such a resource for their games can make it themselves.

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I agree. Tho exciting as with many new things it is just to unregulated and potentially problematic to take chances with, for now anyway.

Iron_Brew

Regular
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good shout. No sense opening the forum up to legal trouble, especially considering that it's inevitable that the court case in question has to happen pretty soon :D

Holder

Regular
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Is there any way to detect if the created content is via AI?
I seen people discussing the idea of people must prove with 'works in progress' but that seems like too many hoops to jump through and some people tend to not want to show their scrappy work or how they do create their content.

Iron_Brew

Regular
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there any way to detect if the created content is via AI?
I seen people discussing the idea of people must prove with 'works in progress' but that seems like too many hoops to jump through and some people tend to not want to show their scrappy work or how they do create their content.
It's usually pretty obvious, but also the point of rules is that people adhere to them right? If someone is posting AI-generated content in bad faith follwoing this announcement then that's really gross behaviour and should be reported.

Holder

Regular
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It's usually pretty obvious, but also the point of rules is that people adhere to them right? If someone is posting AI-generated content in bad faith follwoing this announcement then that's really gross behaviour and should be reported.
If everyone obeyed the rules there'd be no need for mods unfortunately, it happens a lot.

How is it obvious? What's the signs that it is AI?

Nereid

Regular
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
none
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's not obvious. This will only lead to people accusing others baselessly, so... good luck, sociologically and such...

Sword_of_Dusk

Ace Attorney
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If everyone obeyed the rules there'd be no need for mods unfortunately, it happens a lot.

If there are any hands visible in a piece, that's probably a good place to start, from what I know. AI apparently has issues with hands.

Celestrium

Worldsmith
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think the most important point for the preservation of the forum is that the official rules state not to include AI images as resources. This limits legal repercussions and preserves the forum and site, I wouldn't expect mods to scrutinize everything.

Ellie Jane

Regular
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's like with rips of old (I know from trying to moderate in the busy days of ~2008 when everyone was a bloody ripper), trying to identify what is what; some is obvious, some is debatable, but it always comes out in the end (and some of the best resources of the time turned out to be very subtle rips). Truth prevails apparently!

gstv87

Regular
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
overly-embellished pictures that resemble the style of various different artists without any clear technique being favored, or blurry bits suddenly sharpening up for no reason, or the other way around.
go take a walk around a known public space where street painters would gather, and you may identify each of them by their own style and technique.
at the posting of any presumed AI-generated piece, ask the creator for their creative process.
literally, *creative process* is the first and most annoying thing they ask from you at any career remotely involving art.
I took the web design course, focusing on website structure and commercial application, and I still had to take a course in art design, and I had to deconstruct every original piece I came up with (photography, painting, animation, you name it)... even if the reason for a given resource being on the piece was "because I felt like it" or "because I couldn't do anything else", there had to be a reason for it.
no artist will work without a reason.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It really doesn't, here. I'd say it's less than monthly that we even get someone asking about using ripped assets, which would be the next closest rule - I could use one hand to count the number of times I've actually seen any since I started using the site.

Enigman

Regular
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Interestingly on itch I saw one new seller with 100 item 'packs' of varying fantasy, anime background art with no restrictions on their use.

The art styles in the pack previews were very different and while they were of the same genre were often wildly different - way more and in higher volume than what a human artist would typically do even if experimenting. There were no indications from the seller that it was AI generated art but I suspected that it was. A couple of days later the seller has disappeared from the site. It's unclear whether they were booted off or left of their own accord.

123edc

Regular
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
well, youi can not realy compare AI art to rips, as these are fundamentally different things!

in one case, youre talking about a limited number of pre-existing assets,
in the other about combinations (!), rearrangements (!) and entire redrawings (!) of millions upon millions of assets - assets, entirely outside of RM's-nieche

and yes, at it's current state AI-Art still have some points, that needs polishing up ... hands at anime characters, building structures, that ... logically speaking ... simply don't make sence

but the thing is, with the advancement of AI-Art (and we see, how rapidly that goes) these parts will become less and less

also, i do not realy agree with the "since anyome can make them" statement,
becouse 100% the exact same thing is true for - for example - pieces of code ...

and for me art is nothing else than exactly that:
a piece of visual (background) information, helpin me, to convey a sense of story location ... not more, not less

and do we prohibit code sharing now, becouse "everyone can make them"? ... we don't, right?

There were no indications from the seller that it was AI generated art
and that's the real issue i have with it ...
becouse the verry same thing happened on some other big (ressource selling) websites as well

what they did ... was to create a new chategory
"AI-Art" ... and, while they have - literally - no possibility, to control it ...
people started to use tages and "ai-generated" within the selling descriptions, since they implemented that change

which - in my opinion - would be a win-win situation for everyone,
everyone, who activly wants to see them, has the possibility to
and anyone, who does not like to use them wouldn't be forced to bash others about "oh, but i think, that you" without any kind of proof

RCXGaming

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wonder how long it takes for y'all to realize that not every thread is a discourse thread.

If the man says "no ai generated resources", you're not adding anything by arguing nor will you reverse his decision.

Last edited:

Ouro

Regular
Regular
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
We already have a thread in General for the great AI debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Update: Coworker sabotaged the truck's mirrors by applying a threadlocking compound to the bolts used to adjust the mirrors. Now NO ONE can adjust them. So I filed a legit report of sabotage of equipment to leadership and declared that I cannot safely operate the vehicle if I can't see what needs to be seen. So the truck has to go to the shop for repair, and we need a substitute vehicle. Nice work, dude :p
1701524304115.png
Part of growing up is finding out that love hurts.
"I signed up for this heartbreak."
Oh man. Updating my PC backup because I'd like to start 2024 with a reformat. At some point in time I turned into a "folders in my folders" type of girl. :kaoslp:
Lesson of the day: Trying to arrive in time is sometimes more difficult than any boss fight.
Day #2: Today we have some teddybears... and a brave dad to fend them off!1701517253009.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juneiper