On-Map States and Cures

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by IssaMeMino, Oct 23, 2017.

1. IssaMeMino

IssaMeMino Living in a Peculiar World Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello everyone!

I'm trying to accomplish something and I'm having a bit of a problem. There is no combat in the game I'm working on, but creatures and objects are still capable of inflicting status effects on the player. This requires the player to craft a potion in order to lift the status effect. So far, I have Blindness, Sleep/Slow and Possession, with a few started but they're not working exactly how I was thinking. If you have any plugins you would be able to point me toward, I can try to piece things together. Not all of these are required, but a few that I've been tinkering with or thought would be interesting.

1) Paralysis: The character is unable to move unless he has the correct potion in his inventory that he can take and can move again.
    (I suppose I can figure this out by having and Autorun common event keep him from moving)

2) Fear: Tint the screen a bright color (which already works) and have the screen continually shake until the character can cure it.
    (When I make a looped common event with shake screen, the player can't move- so I need some help with that!)

3) Poison: Having the player's health go down by twenty points every thirty seconds until they cure it.
    (I have the screen tilted and can overlay a picture of bubbles, but the character freezes)

4) Confusion: Flip the character movement controls so up is down, left is right and so on until the character drinks the correct potion to cure it.

5) Sleep: Character movement speed slows down to a slug pace until they can cure it.
    **I've figured out this status effect**

6) Possession: This is an ability where a ghost followers the player, the screen is tinted to red and a background sound of cackling plays. I just need to figure out how to keep the bgs playing even if they enter a map that would overwrite it.
    **I've figured out this status effect**

Any help on figuring out these common events or other statuses you think would work would be really appreciated!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  2. Llareian

Llareian Jack of All Trades, Master of None Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I just want to let you know that this is a LOT of help to request all at once. Each of these things could be its own separate topic. You might find that people aren't very likely to try to help because it seems like you haven't put in the time or effort to really nail the basics yet -- or even to solve these problems on your own (at least, you don't give us much indication you have) -- and some of these things are going to require advanced solutions, possibly even custom plugins.

I'm just going to tackle the one thing that jumped out at me... in your Fear event, you state the player can't move - I'd guess you're using an Autorun trigger instead of a Parallel trigger. Try changing it to parallel and see how that works. Warning: Parallel processes can cause considerable lag if they don't incorporate at least one "Wait" command.

3. IssaMeMino

IssaMeMino Living in a Peculiar World Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm sorry, I wasn't expecting someone to tackle every single suggestion in this post- I also didn't think I should flood this section of the forum with seven different threads relating to the same problem. As for the Fear status, I think that the looped event is what's causing a problem, because it's not an Autorun or Parallel event. I know that a lot of people on this forum are far more experienced with eventing than I am, so I wasn't sure if anyone had come across creating on-map status effects like this. I've searched the forum, but didn't find anything that looked similar.

I didn't mean to seem like I'm not putting any effort in. I have a twenty-plant farming system, transformation-magic based common events and a lot of other parts I've been working into my game. I was just struggling with some on-map status effects and looking for any suggestions.