Yawgmoth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi all, So I am working on a map with floating islands and some overlap one another, but am having issues allowing the player to walk beneath the other islands. I have tried to event this using transparent and through move routes and I can get it to sort of work but I can't turn the through off because the player is inside the upper island. If I leave it on the player can walk through it and onto the upper island or worse anywhere they want as long as they avoid the events.

I do not see a clear way to event this and think I need a plugin that maybe uses regions to prevent the player from moving into them even if the through movement route is on. If someone could help with this I would be so grateful. Also if their is a way to event this that I am missing please let me know because I have wasted quite a bit of time trying to create this cosmetic effect. If a plugin is not needed this thread will probably need moved.Thank you in advance.

Here's a screenshot below of my map layout.

Attachments

• FloatingIslands.png
    FloatingIslands.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are several possible solutions here.
I suggest you search the forum for topics on "bridges" and going above or under, you'll have to do something similiar and don't use through at all, but a different option in mapping.

If you scroll down the spritelist in the event pictures, you'll get to a tileset list where the event can take the picture of a tile in the B-E tabs of the tileset. What you probably don't know is that it will take on the passability of that tile as well.

you map the lower parts on the map where the player can go normally, and place events with ground for those parts of the upper islands. And those events will have two pages, one to be active when the player is on the lower sections and one to be active when he's above. Condition that to a switch that will be changed whenever the player goes up or down.
if he's down the active event page has to be the one set to above player, if he's up the active event page has to be one that is below player and have the tile with the passability to move on it.

Yawgmoth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Andar Thank you for your quick and informative response. I hadn't thought about using my events as pieces of my map. It was a lot simpler than anything I was doing. My only issue now is my evented map tiles seem odd compared to the normal map tiles. My map is a Dungeon_A1 and my evented tiles are are a copy of Dungeon_A1 named Netherfell and located in the E tab. I'll post a screenshot below to help explain if needed. I think the size is off some but I have no clue how to modify a tile set. Please let me know what you think. Thank you again for your help.

Attachments

• Screenshot (55).png
    Screenshot (55).png
    574.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot (56).png
    Screenshot (56).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot (57).png
    Screenshot (57).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the problem with the tile edge is most likely caused by a wrong copy&paste of the tile, either your copy or your paste was one pixel off. I suggest using grid and snap to grid when copying tiles in an image program. However, you also need to make sure to copy the correct parts of an autotile - most people use a mapshot plugin to copy autotiles as they are placed on the map because that is easier.

the top of the character shining through is something else. I think it should be able to be solved by making the tile you use for "high" to have star passability. you might have to experiment a bit and use several tiles that are identical in graphic but with different passability (star and regular).
If that doesn't solve the problem I don't know more.

Yawgmoth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Andar I copied and pasted the full file so I'm not sure why it would shift? Is grid and snap a program? Also I had the tiles marked with the star already. I'm going to take a look for the plugin here in a sec hopefully it will fix some of these issues.

This is the most that I've played with map tiles in RPG Maker so this is all new ground for me. Thank you for the information and I'll update my post if I find the plugin.

EDIT: Is this the sort of plugin I was looking for? It sounds like it is for taking screenshots and sends them to an image folder. https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/orange-mapshot.49711/

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is grid and snap a program?
no, these are options inside almost every image program.
the grid is exactly that, a grid overlayed over whatever picture is in the image program t allow for better work options. And if you set the grid size to the same as the tile size, the grid will frame the tiles.

then if you activate snap to grid, the mouse cursor will follow the grid only and you will be unable to click anywhere else, allowing you to precisely select the tiles without any pixel shifting outside the tiles.

the line you see is because you didn't mark the tiles correctly for copy&paste, and that error is prevented by snap to grid.

Yawgmoth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Andar Ok, so any suggestions on image programs?, I only have paint atm. I think I'll see if I can find a video on youtube tomorrow that deals with snap to grid. Well I'll let you know tomorrow night how it goes. I'm off to bed. Thanks again.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
GIMP is the most commonly used free program, although some people use paint.net or a number of other programs.
Photoshop is a bit expensive unless you get lucky with a used older version on ebay.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

BGM playlist:

(It does not work with an open menu, as it affects events in parallel process)
sorry I've been quiet for like-- ever - A -) been dealing with constant family/personal issues. Got a wisdom tooth out today though! one less thing to deal with
Definetly a WIP but having fun with those desert tiles xD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatGuyWheels