On-screen buttons to navigate around building layout?

Discussion in 'Javascript/Plugin Support' started by MercyModx, May 17, 2019.

1. MercyModx

MercyModx Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello! I am developing a satirical visual novel with RPG elements in RPGMMV. Sorry if this is in the wrong area.

What I am trying to do is: the player finishes a conversation and is left to explore. since the game technically is first person, I want buttons to appear on screen after the conversation has finished that point to the area that they click and go to. I guess I'm looking for a plugin that displays clickable buttons that house simple player transfer events or sometimes text events.

I am looking for a different script that can do this or an extensive tutorial for Galv's MV Screen Buttons, since the instructions aren't clear to me, and neither is the single video on the plugin.

EDIT: https://galvs-scripts.com/2016/11/29/mv-screen-buttons/

http://yanfly.moe/2016/04/01/yep-88-picture-common-events/

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If you want a different plugin, then this needs to be moved to JS Plugin Requests. If you want help with Galv's plugin, it needs to go to Javascript/Plugin Support.

Please post to say which of those you want.

3. MercyModx

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I found another plugin could work too but again it isn't clear so I guess it can be moved to JavaScript/Plugin Support. I need help with Yanfly's picture common events and Galv's on screen buttons.

4. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @MercyModx It would help people if you could edit your opening post to include a link to the web page where you got that plugin. That way, if anyone needs to check something before giving advice, they won't have to go searching for it.

Moving this to Javascript/Plugin Support.

5. MercyModx

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Bump.

6. mathmaster74

mathmaster74 just...John Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @MercyModx If the building layout you are trying to let the player navigate around using first person view is a visual novel style background that's parallax mapped, then you can set events on the grid layout of the map in the editor to transfer player triggered by action button no sweat (Note: there's a Yanfly plugin for this called Event Click Trigger) and if you set the event's image to something like an icon (there are even ways to animate this in the editor), you should get the functionality you're looking for. Give it a shot and let me know how it worked. :smile:

7. MercyModx

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    sorry, forgot to mention I'm new to all this, I'm not sure what that means. I currently have the entire interaction on a single event, including the background showing up on screen. At the end of the event the image stays on screen. I was thinking of just having the buttons pop up there. I don't know anything about parallax mapping. Would I also need to make a second page to stop the looping when the player returns to the map?

Also I thought of a way I could use Yanfly's click events, would it be plausible to make the same background graphic with buttons on the image, but have events in the grid that match up to where the buttons are on the image? So sorry if that's unclear, I don't know proper lingo. I'll try it out in a bit, thank you for your support!

8. mathmaster74

mathmaster74 just...John Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @MercyModx No need to apologize. We were all new once. I kinda still am. If you select the map you're working on in the list on the lower left of the editor and then right-click it, you can select Edit... to get a Map Properties window. Here you can just click on the ... button under Image: in the Parallax Background section (lower left) and it will make the image you select from the following list your map display. Be sure you haven't placed any tiles on the map grid or they will block the image. Images on the list will be all the filenames found in your project's img/parallaxes folder, so you can put your backgrounds there. In fact, your last post posed a question that got me thinking... you don't actually need to leave maps to change the scene! you could make the event change the parallax image for the map and stay right there! :LZSooo:I wasn't 100% sure this would work, so I went and got the plugin and set up an event to test it myself. It works! :biggrin: This will make any VN ideas I have easier to create in RMMV and I have you to thank for asking me for help. Thanks back! (Sometimes giving is its own reward. :LZYcool:) P.S. Of course, if you change backgrounds you probably want to update events on the map, but again, you don't actually have to leave the map. :LZSjoy:

9. MercyModx

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks so much! I figured everything out! Yanfly's click events plugin was exactly what I needed, moving maps is way easier now! Thanks again!!

mathmaster74 likes this.