On the road to learning MV: What now?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by LonerPrime, May 22, 2019.

1. LonerPrime

LonerPrime Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello folks,
    So I'm pretty much a newcomer to the RPG Maker MV scene and my lessons exclusively came from YouTube tutorials uploaded by SrDude. Later when I joined this forum I found out he actually is/was an active member of this forum and had a whole thread around it. Sadly though, I am through all of his tutorials and now I'm stuck. I do understand MV basics and have a full grasp on what various options and commands do. But, by no means I am even remotely proficient with the advanced stuff like multi-variables/switches, script calls, various plugins usage, etc.

All in all, I'm neither here nor there. Thus, I decided to make this thread. What can/should I pick up next? Any guides/videos that delve into more advance stuff? I'm looking at the tutorial section but most of it deals with specific things and even though they seem plenty helpful, due to my knowledge gaps I'm somewhat unable to make heads or tails of some of the instructions.

Apologies if it was a noobie question but would appreciate any tips you good folks have to share.
    Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    LonerPrime

Karlski likes this.
  2. Karlski

Karlski Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I have been using RMMV for about a year, and I still consider myself a complete novice!

Once I learned the very basics, I checked out SRdude and his tutorials and plugins, then moved onto trying Yanfly's plugins, and after getting confused how to set up those up I discovered Driftwood Gaming channel on YouTube, he's a real master of explanation. He actually does tutorial videos on how to properly set up Yanfly plugins... Perfect!

So that's exactly where i'd go, to check out Drifty - There's also a Discord channel, not sure if I should promote external but I will anyway. It has hundreds of members, often able to provide an immediate answer if you're really stuck understanding something.

Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJH5XV4YrFDwhdbX4VISqUQ/playlists

https://discordapp.com/invite/YcxySsj

LonerPrime likes this.
  3. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Make a game, small game. You will find an obstacle while doing it. Either it's about the game design or implementation.

4. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  5. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Plugins and scriptcalls are neither basic nor required, and you won't find any tutorial covering everything because each plugin is used differently. So the only help most plugins have is exactly that - the text that appears when you click the help button on that plugin in the plugin manager.

But as said you can do a lot of game without ever touching single script or plugin, you only need that if you want to change the default engine.
    If you have a Windows-PC, search for a game called "Variables Guide" - it is a tutorial game that explains the use of variables.
    If you have Ace or the Ace trial you can even open up the game and see how the events are done - there is no real difference between Ace events and MV events.

You can find a link to that tutorial if you follow the link to the "starting point" in my signature

LonerPrime likes this.
  6. Swagg

Swagg Swagg Studios Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I get what you're saying, and I have trouble every now and then too. I have been developing games with RPG Maker VX Ace for five years, and sometimes, I get stuck, especially of being creative with what I could develop. MV is amazing because the Event system and the programming is very similar to VX Ace, but instead of having Ruby for programming, its now JavaScript.

The Plugin system is great for MV, as all you would need to do to install the plugin is through your game's folders. Beginners wouldn't have to code everything since we have the Plugin system so its user-friendly. Also, the Mouse Input and Export to Multiple Platforms is a must for devs like me, especially when a user wants to play your game but they're not on the same platform as you.

MV is the definitive version of RPG Maker and its why I find myself coming back because its very intuitive and easy to use to make games in a short amount of time. Even though my passion is Voice Acting, I still get back to doing this a lot.

LonerPrime likes this.
  7. V_Aero

V_Aero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just create your first small adventure game. Look for Don's Adventures, it's a 15min short game, nothing special but for veterans it's so nostalgic :D
    For me, I downloaded and played some games created by users from this forum to see what others did with RPGMaker, to check out what one can do with this engine which is beyond the starter tutorials.

LonerPrime likes this.
  8. LonerPrime

LonerPrime Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow... so much advice. Truly, thank you folks.

I'll start working one by one on all of those. After-all, gotta start somewhere. Hopefully, I find the right path. Please, if anyone else has anything more to share, please do. Knowledge never goes wasted.

Thank you!

Regards,
    LP