On-Water Events Without 'Through'

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Esjitu, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Esjitu

Esjitu Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm trying to make a sea monster swim around in the water. The usual way to do this is to set it on 'through' and use either a custom move route or a region-restricting script to make sure it doesn't wander onto land. Problem is, the player can't interact with it this way, plus I don't really want them to be able to ride the boat straight through it. In VX Ace I got around issues like this with this script, but I can't seem to find any equivalent for MV.

Basically, is there a way I can set an event so that it can move on water, but can still collide with the player?

TheTitan99 likes this.
  2. TheTitan99

TheTitan99 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can use this plugin, to set movement restrictions based on regions:

http://yanfly.moe/2015/10/20/yep-18-region-restrictions/

Basically, you can set Region 1 (or any region that is) to disallow movement for events and only events. Put that region on the coasts of this water map. Now the event can move freely, but will be blocked from entering the land, because Region 1 is not passable for events, even though it is for players.

There may be other plugins that also can do the trick, but this is one pops into my mind as a good choice.

caethyril likes this.
  3. Esjitu

Esjitu Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the suggestion, but that doesn't actually solve my problem. In order to have the event move on water, it needs to be set to 'through', but that makes it so the player (in a boat) will just pass through it when I'd like them to still collide and be able to interact with the event. The region restrictions script does not work if the event is set to through, so it's not really useful on water anyway. I have a custom move route set to make the event just swim in circles, so going up on land isn't so much the issue as the fact that I need it to be able to move on water, but still want it to be able to collide with the player. VX Ace had a 'move on water' script that made this possible, but I'm not sure if there's a similar solution for MV.