Once Upon The End

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Kaza2929, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Kaza2929

Kaza2929 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
    "All things living will one day die.
    Will you give up and resign to that bitter end?
    Or will you continue to write your own story regardless?"

*Disclaimer: There is a huge amount of swearing, and profanity*

Story

Once upon the end, a young boy known as Eric attempted to win the heart of his childhood crush. However, as mysterious masked person attacked the town, he began to experience an inconsistency of memories. Vowing to protect his town and discover the truth behind his doubts, he set out on a journey to isolate the attacker and defeat him without involving any more innocent citizens. In the midst of his journey, the boy noticed that he wasn't the only one who was suffering. A decision to either continue on his adventure for the sake of himself, or for the sake of the world, must be made.
    There are three ending routes: Bad, Good, and Secret.
    Should he choose to let people handle their problems themselves, it earns him the Bad Ending
    But if he accepts that there are things greater than himself that are worth protecting, he gets the Good Ending
    The boy might even destroy the five hidden evils, in which the truth is revealed through the Secret Ending
    No matter the path, the boy will discover that his life wasn't as small as he originally believed, and that, in his life, there's no such thing as a coincidence.

Setting

In this world, the land we know as Pangaea began to break apart. Its inhabitants nicknamed it the Broken Islands. Ever since that incident, there was no longer one ruler, but many kings with their own territories. A king named Cronus declared his land as independent from the Broken Islands and enforced oppressive law for all of his rule. Kizuato Town, the place where Eric lives, resided in Cronus' island. Along with his town, there was also another city, a haunted forest, a mysterious tower, and, of course, Cronus' Castle. Eric must venture through all of the island to discover the truth, and, if he so chooses, save the people around him.

Characters

[​IMG]
    Eric Shin

An Un-Eccentric and un-popular boy who lives in the same town as Yoko, Kazuo, Rina, and Chiyo. Eric has a brother, Ryan, and a sister, Olice. He occasionally trains secretly using a wooden sword. Everyday, he continues to try to obtain Yoko's (the love of his life) affection knowing he'd fail. Eric sees the world in such a negative light that he becomes overly positive with an apathetic confidence that everything will be alright if you take names and kick ass. He also likes to give sarcastic remarks whenever there's something he could make fun of. Cusses a lot.

[​IMG]
    Kazuo Shinsuke

A Cool Guy who resides in Kizuato Town alongside Eric, Yoko, Rina, and Chiyo. His charisma with girls is off the charts. This is especially evident since even Yoko has the hots for him. He also thinks himself as better than every other guy (mostly because it's usually the truth), though he does having a caring heart underneath his cocky front.

[​IMG]
    Yoko Kishimoto

A Blonde Magic Woman who lives in the same area as Rina, Kazuo, Chiyo, and Eric. Following the footsteps of her parents, she secretly studies magic in hopes that it'll one day become useful. She's head over heels in love with Kazuo, but doesn't hesitate when it comes to having Eric's back ever since she saw him stand up for the village after it got attacked.

[​IMG]
    Chiyo Walker

A shy and Diffident Girl who is a new resident at Kizuato. Little is known about her other than she's soft spoken and that a man wearing a mask requires her for his plan. She appears to have a crush on Eric.

[​IMG]
    Rina

A Gunslinger girl who seems to have experience with fighting monsters prior to the masked man incident. She accompanies Eric in hopes to finding closure to her previous journey. She is a focal point in the secret ending.

Screenshots

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     Download

http://www.4shared.com/get/t_d9hQgQ/OUTE.html

or

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B95lKqMjHAtPRkVHN0FFWkhaTXM/edit

Go crazy! But here are some instructions:
    1) Download OUTE.rar
    2) In the .rar file there are two items: the installer and an audio file.
    3) Extract them both and put them wherever is most convenient for you.
    4) Run the installer.
    5) Take the audio file and put it inside the Once Upon The End folder without opening it. (Meaning move Audio into the folder when the folder isn't open/running)
    6) If there's an error about BGS not being found or something, don't worry about that, it should work fine.
    7) Enjoy! If, for some reason, it doesn't run, then let me know and I'll see if I could come up with a fix!

Features

~Fully voiced
    ~A storyline-intensive RPG with a mixture of comedy and drama
    ~Breaking of the fourth wall
    ~Very random NPC talk
    ~Hundreds of interactions and references
    ~Secret bosses
    ~Multiple endings
    ~Side view system
    ~Linear world (Yay!)
    ~Around 2-3 hours of gameplay
    ~Laughs and cries during the whole experience! (Uh, hopefully!)

Miscellaneous

-All credits are in game! If I missed anything, let me know and I'll mention you here.  
    -Some big inspirations for me were Tales of Tales of Fantasy XXVIII, Tales of the Drunken Paladin, and The Cartographer.
    -The Once Upon The End facebook page was linked through the topic picture! Did you notice? Check it out! There's a trailer and even a video preview there!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2013
    Kokoro Hane likes this.
  2. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Played a bit, it's very nice and the dubbing is cool, except the voice of Kazuo which is a bit low.

The mapping could use more work however, it's a bit bland in some places, and I found some bugs here and there (it's raining inside the houses of the first village).

Some enemies needs to be balanced more (the secret girl that guards the treasure in the first village was easy as hell).

It's not a bad game, but it needs more polishing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2013
    Bukarett and Susan like this.
  3. Kaza2929

Kaza2929 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for your feedback! I had no idea how to get rid of the rain instantly so I had to resort to using the fade out effects :/

Really? I thought she would've been a little more of a challenge XD

Again, thank you for thoughts :)

Update: I have added a trailer at the Miscellaneous section!

4. Diretooth

Diretooth Lv. 23 Werewolf Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looks like a neat game. Too bad my computer's too slow to play it. Just means I have to find another to play it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2013
  5. RetroGamer9000

RetroGamer9000 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Played and LOVE it. Thank you for letting me be a part of the voice acting. a Let's Play is coming soon.

6. Kaza2929

Kaza2929 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Glad you guys like/take interest in it!

Awesome! I'll probably put links to let's plays in the first post :D

7. TheWalkingAmongTheDead

TheWalkingAmongTheDead Warper Member

First Language:
    Portuguese-BR
    I loved the voice acting and the story, i give 9/10. I give 9 because there is one thing that makes me... upset, kinda. It's the fact that we are forced to like Yoko, well, i hated her. The humor was so good, "No, i didnt took an arrow in the knee !", i laughed so much about that Skyrim's reference, Naruto and Sasuke thing, "The game maker was lazy", so good. You guys did a good job !